Sign in to follow this  
SL17

Leigh v Leeds 1971 cup final.

If that game were played now there would doubtles be endless post-game analysis on social media about how the referee had lost control of the game with every incident broken down in detail.

Yet that game was refereed by Billy Thompson, who for many was the epitome of the no-nonsense referee many seem to yearn for nowadays, with his theatrical gesturing and his uncompromising attitude of being in charge.

A reminder, perhaps, that blaming the ref has been a futile activity for many years.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, M j M said:

Disgraceful by Murphy.

You should have seen the terrible attack he made on Dave Hartley in the 1974 Final.

• Like 1

I remember enjoying this game as a boy and wanting Leigh to win. 

Jim Fiddler moved to Bramley where I saw him play a season in the top division.

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Had it been played now, there'd have been no one left on the pitch. ??

• Like 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

2 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

You should have seen the terrible attack he made on Dave Hartley in the 1974 Final.

Even Leeds fans like me, born years after the event, know about his actions in 1971; it's been passed on from generation to generation.

Edited by M j M
  • Like 1

I was there. Murphy was an expert in many areas of Rugby League, particular that of how to drag the opposition down to your level. Probably the most talented half back, and most dishonest player, I ever saw.

• Like 4

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Roy Lester who was on the bench that day and unfortunately never got to play. Told me Murphy skipped off that stretcher.

Roy then moving on to create a southern team.

The beginning of expansion.

Edited by SL17

I was amazed to see how much Ferguson dug up the pitch to make his kicking tee.Nice to see the old toe-end kicking style.

I'd forgotten how much head high tackling there was in those days.

I enjoy watching RL videos on YouTube but I have to admit I gave up on that after 6 minutes or so... watching players get treated for injuries and celebrating drop goals and penalty kicks is not classic Rugby League. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I enjoy watching RL videos on YouTube but I have to admit I gave up on that after 6 minutes or so... watching players get treated for injuries and celebrating drop goals and penalty kicks is not classic Rugby League. 

It was certainly the creme-de-la-creme for me Dunbar, sitting there at Wembley as an impressionable18 year old, not having missed any games that season (and not a lot in the 12 years prior to that, and not a great deal since), Dad was a fanatical supporter and we went everywhere - being a publican he could arrange his staff to do just that - and also sponsering the club in some way we also went to the player's hotel to join in the after match celebrations. 

I have not seen the match for a number of years, nor have I watched it on this thread, but before the sanitised version of the game we play today injuries were part and parcel for the course and also only having two interchanges available per team meant player's had to be attended to, but I seem to remember hell of a lot of rugby with ball in hand being played, probably as much if not more than today's game, instead of your one upmanship attitude of making an opinion of the whole game after just viewing for 6 minute's, there are another 74 minute's to go, watch it all and tell me your opinion after that I will take you seriously then.

PS in recent times watching SL, if I had thought that the game on view had the first 6 minutes to make my mind up if I was to carry on viewing, I would not have seen a lot of Rugby being aired.

Edited by Harry Stottle

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It was certainly the creme-de-la-creme for me Dunbar, sitting there at Wembley as an impressionable18 year old, not having missed any games that season (and not a lot in the 12 years prior to that, and not a great deal since), Dad was a fanatical supporter and we went everywhere - being a publican he could arrange his staff to do just that - and also sponsering the club in some way we also went to the player's hotel to join in the after match celebrations. 

I have not seen the match for a number of years, nor have I watched it on this thread, but before the sanitised version of the game we play today injuries were part and parcel for the course and also only having two interchanges available per team meant player's had to be attended to, but I seem to remember hell of a lot of rugby with ball in hand being played, probably as much if not more than today's game, instead of your one upmanship attitude of making an opinion of the whole game after just viewing for 6 minute's, there are another 74 minute's to go, watch it all and tell me your opinion after that I will take you seriously then.

PS in recent times watching SL, if I had thought that the game on view had the first 6 minutes to make my mind up if I was to carry on viewing, I would not have seen a lot of Rugby being aired.

I'm not saying the match or occasion was poor, but these highlights are.

There are plenty of videos of Rugby League from the 70's, 80's and 90's full of fantastic action. This isn't one of them.

I will watch the rest of the video later... I trust that it will get better.

Just now, Dunbar said:

I'm not saying the match or occasion was poor, but these highlights are.

There are plenty of videos of Rugby League from the 70's, 80's and 90's full of fantastic action. This isn't one of them.

I will watch the rest of the video later... I trust that it will get better.

Thanks for the reply. 

Having not watched it on this thread, is it just a highlights or the full game? The Full game is available on You-Tube.

On 20/03/2020 at 03:52, SL17 said:

Roy Lester who was on the bench that day and unfortunately never got to play. Told me Murphy skipped off that stretcher.

Roy then moving on to create a southern team.

The beginning of expansion.

One of our regular supporters in the Fulham era was a prison officer at Brixton who came from Huddersfield and knew Billy Thompson When he saw the video of the game (no DVDs then) Billy agreed that Murphy had conned him but made the point that in those days there was just the ref and the touchy at pitch level working with what they saw in an instant.

30 minutes ago, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

Bullsh. There was no video then either, first Betamax and VHS we're late 70s.

I should have said when it was released and to be pedantic I'll add that this was in the Working Men's Club of which they were both members - the video was released by the BBC in the early VHS days. Happy now?

Was there extra footage in this video? The incident happened off-camera and I've never seen footage of the actual offence, if there was one. From the videos I've seen, the ref didn't see it but acted on the touch judge's call.

Dunno. I'm just repeating what our supporter said, haven't seen it myself. As this was in the mid eighties when Billy was still refereeing (including our games) and could have been asked about this I can't see it having been made up.

14 hours ago, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

Was there extra footage in this video? The incident happened off-camera and I've never seen footage of the actual offence, if there was one. From the videos I've seen, the ref didn't see it but acted on the touch judge's call.

Clever player Murphy. Wouldn’t have changed the outcome.

On 19/03/2020 at 21:29, M j M said:

Even Leeds fans like me, born years after the event, know about his actions in 1971; it's been passed on from generation to generation.

Yet nobody mentions what  Hepworth did to Colin Tyrer the previous year.

1 hour ago, Jao 711 said:

Yet nobody mentions what  Hepworth did to Colin Tyrer the previous year.

Now that was one of the worst it must have been and could only be described as premeditated, even worse than Ben Flowers attack on Lance Hohia which how bad it was could not be construed as anything other than a spontaneous reaction.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Now that was one of the worst it must have been and could only be described as premeditated, even worse than Ben Flowers attack on Lance Hohia which how bad it was could not be construed as anything other than a spontaneous reaction.

Heppy used to come to Whitwood dog track Club and often sat with us.Some really good acts on saw Freddie Star with his group when he was just starting out,Tony Christie,and one Sunday night Georgie Fame  was on and he came in a mini bus with his supporters one of which was Billy Boston it would have been 1968/71.About that time Tommy Cooper and Eric Sykes popped in just for a drink.Englebert Humperdink was a show off he came to see his brother perform and sat down with his companion a leggy blonde in a mini skirt and started drinking Champagne.Back to Heppy he told us later that every year when the Cup Final came round he got a letter calling him all the names under the sun.He knew from the postmark what it was about but read it anyway.Bad foul but Heppy was never  a dirty player just a very good one who played well above his weight.