TRL ICT Helpdesk

Hello TRLers

I have just received an email from Virgin Media that one of the devices that uses our wifi has been infected with malware called win32/assassin. 

It could be any number of macs, laptops, ipads or android phones etc in our busy home, so I need to buy anti-virus software to investigate. 

Initial online searches are confusing to say the least, with very mixed reviews all round... Do any of you good people have any inspiration for me?

cheers all, maybe see you in the virtual pub later....

Mark

An initial complete amateur with no knowledge rely is that it's unlikely to be on a mac, iPad or iPhone.  Windows defender (free) should sort it on laptops.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Are you sure the email is from virgin media is the first thing to check, it may look like it is. look at the from address carefully for slight misspellings additions to there usual address.

things like contact@virg1nmedia.com, or contact@abc.virginmedia.com can be used to fool you into falling for a phishing email.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

21 minutes ago, Padge said:

Are you sure the email is from virgin media is the first thing to check, it may look like it is. look at the from address carefully for slight misspellings additions to there usual address.

things like contact@virg1nmedia.com, or contact@abc.virginmedia.com can be used to fool you into falling for a phishing email.

Some fake emails contain no spelling errors, but if you can open the message properties, the sender's address is completely different to the one displayed.

Forward the email to Virgin support and ask them to check it out, if you want to be properly sure.

While you're waiting for a response, run virus scans on everything that'll run one. And if you have gear without antivirus software running 100% of the time, ask yourself why, kick yourself hard and install some.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Leeds Wire said:

Apologies everyone, I should have said I received the same thing in the post today. It's definitely from Virgin.

Thanks for responses so far but this appears to be real. 

Microsoft's WIndows Defender will pick this up and quarantine/delete it, of course this only works on Windows devices.

It's a free download if you don't have it installed already.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

Microsoft's WIndows Defender will pick this up and quarantine/delete it, of course this only works on Windows devices.

It's a free download if you don't have it installed already.

Thanks Padge but we're on Macs

20 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Thanks Padge but we're on Macs

Everything is Mac? they are pretty robust against viruses/malware though not as good as they used to be and this particular piece of malware can infect Macs.

Do you run AV on these machines?

7 minutes ago, Padge said:

Everything is Mac? they are pretty robust against viruses/malware though not as good as they used to be and this particular piece of malware can infect Macs.

Do you run AV on these machines?

Hmm, everyone I know who is a committed Mac user seems to think that viruses/malware are something that only happens to other people. I haven't used anything from the company since the Powerbook, so I have no idea what's a good AV for them.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

win32 suggest a windows virus?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 1 month later...

I know this isn't quite the same, but I am still hoping for an answer.

I have a Samsung A40, and the Screenshot selection button is on, but I have no idea how to do a screenshot, can someone help? My 11 year old daughter tried to tell me how it works on her phone, but it doesn't work the same on mine.

Initially this sounded like a scam to me but having looked at the Virgin Media Community forum it looks like they've confirmed that these are genuine emails. In one of the posts they've linked to their malware alert page. Not sure if that is any use to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Got-email-from-virgin-saying-AZORult-malware-detected-on-a/td-p/4154863

If we don't hear back from you I'll assume that you're too enthralled by the Virgin Media Community forum to remember this one.

Also, since this thread is over a month old, I assume your problem is resolved by now.

19 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I have a Samsung A40, and the Screenshot selection button is on, but I have no idea how to do a screenshot, can someone help? My 11 year old daughter tried to tell me how it works on her phone, but it doesn't work the same on mine.

Have you tried holding the power button and volume down button at the same time?

29 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I know this isn't quite the same, but I am still hoping for an answer.

You can take a picture of your screen if you want to share something with your friends or save the picture for later use. Press On/Off. At the same time, press and hold the lower part of the Volume key and keep them both pressed to take a screenshot.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to note with RBS group banks i.e Natwest, Royal bank of Scotland RBS, Isle of Man, Ulster Bank you can now get Malwarebytes Premium on 10 devices for free until May 2022. If you have an account you should get a message when you log in informing you of the offer and what to do.

Malwarebytes Premium is great and this would normally cost £200+ for 10 devices so I'd thoroughly recommend it for anyone who can get it.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Just to note with RBS group banks i.e Natwest, Royal bank of Scotland RBS, Isle of Man, Ulster Bank you can now get Malwarebytes Premium on 10 devices for free until May 2022. If you have an account you should get a message when you log in informing you of the offer and what to do.

Malwarebytes Premium is great and this would normally cost £200+ for 10 devices so I'd thoroughly recommend it for anyone who can get it.

That's a decent deal. I use the free version of MalwareBytes, which has certain limitations, but is still a very worthwhile thing to have installed.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Damien said:

Just putting it here as its I.T and I'm guessing most people will have Easyjet accounts. Easyjet has been hacked so I'd get changing your logon passwords and keep an eye on your credit cards:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52722626

An inside job, so they conveniently "lose" all records of refund claims? ?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived