Difficult times

NickD

I know that there are more important things going on at the moment but it was so depressing if not unexpected to read on Twitter about all the 3G pitch and function room bookings being cancelled.  It maybe that we can survive without this income but Im guessing things might get tricky....It might be even worse at other clubs of course...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, NickD said:

I know that there are more important things going on at the moment but it was so depressing if not unexpected to read on Twitter about all the 3G pitch and function room bookings being cancelled.  It maybe that we can survive without this income but Im guessing things might get tricky....It might be even worse at other clubs of course...

Plus we’ve got a chairman that’s a on coarse bookmaker.

2 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Plus we’ve got a chairman that’s a on coarse bookmaker.

And chipping in for Dewsbury & Bradford costs? Dark days for many

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

MS on radio Leeds tonight

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

3 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

MS on radio Leeds tonight

R Leeds at 7.00pm Friday 20th, RL Ramifications.

This should be interesting listening for all RL fans particularly those of Championship clubs.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 hours ago, graham fisher said:

I reckon a few clubs will go under especially if this goes on a long period of time.

I am afraid I have to agree with you there.

Many and dare I say it most clubs were finding things tight before this damned Coronavirus took hold.I fear that this virus and the subsequent suspension of the season hence no revenue from gate reciepts etc will be the final nail in the coffin for many clubs.

I think we will be seeing a much different landscape once rugby league resumes.

14 hours ago, Therein73 said:

Thought MS was an inspiration on Radio Leeds tonight ..... Truly a credit to himself and our great club 

Didn't hear it - can you give us the gist of what he said ?

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

1 hour ago, grumpyoldram said:

Didn't hear it - can you give us the gist of what he said ?

You can get it from the BBC website GoR. Both MS and Michael Carter were quite impressive and a summary wouldn't really do them justice.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

50 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You can get it from the BBC website GoR. Both MS and Michael Carter were quite impressive and a summary wouldn't really do them justice.

Thanks BSJ.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

The story that seems to be emerging from the RFL is that we are unlikely to see any resumption of RL until late June at the earliest.

The test series is also most likely to be called off as well.

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The story that seems to be emerging from the RFL is that we are unlikely to see any resumption of RL until late June at the earliest.

Three months would seem in line with most predictions and the way people are behaving at present that might be too optimistic.  Maybe we have the advantage that we can carry on into September and October unlike cricket.   If so I’m  sure BSJ wont mind a bit more winter rugby.  

21 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

14 hours ago, NickD said:

Three months would seem in line with most predictions and the way people are behaving at present that might be too optimistic.  Maybe we have the advantage that we can carry on into September and October unlike cricket.   If so I’m  sure BSJ wont mind a bit more winter rugby.  

3 months is to turning the tide not it being done and dusted - optimistically that's being over the (first) peak. Until herd immunity is established through either an effective vaccine or a slow, controlled rate of infection (or a cure is miraculously found or it disappears as with Spanish flu) the current raft of control measures will be on going for some time with relatively short periods of relaxation of some restrictions. 

4 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

3 months is to turning the tide not it being done and dusted - optimistically that's being over the (first) peak. Until herd immunity is established through either an effective vaccine or a slow, controlled rate of infection (or a cure is miraculously found or it disappears as with Spanish flu) the current raft of control measures will be on going for some time with relatively short periods of relaxation of some restrictions. 

Indeed but it will stay around for years so societies will find ways of coping with it whilst returning to a new "normal". 3 months is optimistic, hence the use of "at the earliest".

Sadly some clubs may go to the wall, with SL ones being far more vulnerable.

53 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Indeed but it will stay around for years so societies will find ways of coping with it whilst returning to a new "normal". 3 months is optimistic, hence the use of "at the earliest".

Sadly some clubs may go to the wall, with SL ones being far more vulnerable.

3 months is delusional and if they're planning around that timescale then they will be well and truly percy trucked.

On 23/03/2020 at 16:38, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

3 months is delusional and if they're planning around that timescale then they will be well and truly percy trucked.

I will be very surprised if there are any further games this season.

And from what I have seen they are making Excel in London into a 4000 bed hospital so things must be getting very serious.

And I have no doubt that similar will happen elsewhere in other cities like Birmingham,Manchester,Leeds and Liverpool as well as others.

And if that is the case as I fear it could well be then a rugby league season is frankly irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

I will be very surprised if there are any further games this season.

Somebody more pessimistic than me..HURRAH....At last

9 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Being realistic.

Nah.  I think its still on the pessimistic side...Not saying you won't be right but China went into lockdown in January and are largely out of it now.  If (perhaps a big if given the difference between how British and Chinese behave in these conditions) we do the same I suspect we will see more rugby this year.  By my judgement therefore there is some room for some optimism. 

2 hours ago, NickD said:

Nah.  I think its still on the pessimistic side...Not saying you won't be right but China went into lockdown in January and are largely out of it now.  If (perhaps a big if given the difference between how British and Chinese behave in these conditions) we do the same I suspect we will see more rugby this year.  By my judgement therefore there is some room for some optimism. 

China are NOT out of lockdown, they are just, from today, starting to slowly lift restrictions on travel in Hubei province for healthy folk only. No relaxation is planned for the city of Wuhan until 8th April.

And the UK's lockdown (sic) amounts almost to complete freedom in comparison to that imposed in China and elsewhere. 

Archived