Difficult times

NickD

12 hours ago, Therein73 said:

...........And Batley are looking for a Tuk Tuk to hold their supporters reunion ................. ?

We did enquire it we could use Dewsbury's away supporters Tuk Tuk, but it was on bricks

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how the car boot went?  Would be great if the club could get a few bob in the coffers during these tricky times.  
Fingers crossed that the news on small groups being able to train outside might mean we can start to get the 3G pitch back into use before too long too. 

Some rumours going around that we might be looking at an October restart with a programme of 9 games for each team but with no P&R. Looks like Batley will escape the drop again.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Some rumours going around that we might be looking at an October restart with a programme of 9 games for each team but with no P&R. Looks like Batley will escape the drop again.

Thanks BSJ.  Great to have something to look forward to.  That said, if all these various protests don’t stop soon we’ll be in second lockdown by then?

On 14/06/2020 at 13:34, NickD said:

Thanks BSJ.  Great to have something to look forward to.  That said, if all these various protests don’t stop soon we’ll be in second lockdown by then?

It's heartbreaking isn't it. Players having to get used to playing in empty stadiums, no crowd, no atmosphere, and no celebrations.

Still, that's enough about Sheffield Eagles, I hear footie's back. ?

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

14 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

It's heartbreaking isn't it. Players having to get used to playing in empty stadiums, no crowd, no atmosphere, and no celebrations.

Still, that's enough about Sheffield Eagles, I hear footie's back. ?

I've come to the conclusion 

i despise Sheffield Eagles more than Batley... 

Is that wrong????? 

????????

8 hours ago, coolie said:

I've come to the conclusion 

i despise Sheffield Eagles more than Batley... 

Is that wrong????? 

????????

Almost certainly, but I don’t think you’re on your own.  There are a surprising number of people that dislike Sheffield and and an even more staggering number that don’t seem to mind Batley.   I was brought up right and so Batley will always be my most disliked team 

47 minutes ago, NickD said:

Almost certainly, but I don’t think you’re on your own.  There are a surprising number of people that dislike Sheffield and and an even more staggering number that don’t seem to mind Batley.   I was brought up right and so Batley will always be my most disliked team 

I suspect  the recent tolerant attitude of Rams and Dogs supporters towards each others clubs may largely be a product of this forum and other social media rather than any change in the attitudes of the die hard, rank and file faithful on the terraces Nick. I also think that the creation of Superleague has left a feeling of "us versus them" among the part time club support, and left us with a bit of the "All for one" spirit, which might have diluted out some of the traditional antipathy between once bitter rival clubs. On that basis,  I for one would be happy to see even the Dogs give a good kicking to any of the current SL incumbents, without a shred of jealousy. TBH, I have no real antipathy to the Eagles, just a mild curiosity about how they manage to achieve so much with so little. The last time somebody managed a similar feat it involved loaves and fishes, and a crowd considerably bigger than anything  the Eagles  ever get near. 

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

20 hours ago, ChampagneCharlieReturns said:

Any chance of a few dewsbury votes on this guessing u wont want batley to win it vote watersheddings oldham please 

I did my best but to no avail.  Unbelievable ?

5 hours ago, NickD said:

I did my best but to no avail.  Unbelievable ?

It was all a joke, wasn't it - like when everyone votes for rubbish acts on X Factor?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

So does this mean we’ve got to listen to them gloating for next 10 years ?

20 - there won't be anything else to gloat about.

12 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

I notice you all got very excited in the best kit vote.Who actually won that one?

Yeah, I was going to quote, those in glass houses, then I remembered most of the huts in Dewsbury just have a bit of sack cloth covering the holes!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

In these difficult times it is comforting that we don't even need to bait the hook for Batley fans (or their cardboard cut-outs), avoiding the waste of valuable resources.

According to today's press release from the RFL yesterday's meeting seems like it was inconclusive so each club will fill in a questionnaire with the results of these for discussion by RFL Council on July 6th.

https://www.totalrl.com/frustration-reins-as-championship-and-league-1-clubs-lock-horns-over-season-resumption/

23 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

According to today's press release from the RFL yesterday's meeting seems like it was inconclusive so each club will fill in a questionnaire with the results of these for discussion by RFL Council on July 6th.

https://www.totalrl.com/frustration-reins-as-championship-and-league-1-clubs-lock-horns-over-season-resumption/

If we return to playing I think it will be 22-3 for no promotion/relegation with or without spectators watching the games. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

19 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

If we return to playing I think it will be 22-3 for no promotion/relegation with or without spectators watching the games. 

If indeed that is one of the questions posed. i suspect that they key question will be fairly focussed and succinct - hang on until August then decide or call it a day now and prepare for 2021.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it appears that a decision will finally be made by July 23rd:

https://www.rugby-league.com/championship__league_1/article/56889/rfl-board-meeting--july-

My guess is that, if the government will permit spectator attendance, we may see games commencing in September for an abbreviated competition through to early November.

19 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

So, it appears that a decision will finally be made by July 23rd:

https://www.rugby-league.com/championship__league_1/article/56889/rfl-board-meeting--july-

My guess is that, if the government will permit spectator attendance, we may see games commencing in September for an abbreviated competition through to early November.

Thanks BSJ.  Suspect you’re right but It’s hard work trying to work out what barking mad Boris will and won’t allow.  That said it’s hard to see how the 800 speccies at your average match can be at any greater danger at the ground than they would be in a cinema or a night out in Soho so fingers crossed.   At least we have the advantage of being able to say we can ask everyone to sign in and out to help with the contract tracing.  Most games we’d only need a few sheets of A4. 😉

Didn’t see if the tweaked rules apply to leagues below but if so and abandoned scrums I think we may struggle with the supreme pace we currently have at half back? At least scrums allowed for a bit of creativity with 12 players taken out so it will be interesting to see how it pans out. Any other Ram a fan of the six again? Could be ripe for abuse if you deliberately seek to slow down the ptb in your opponent’s 20 but could be fascinating to watch how the tactics pan out.

Archived