Jump to content
NickD

Difficult times

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

China are NOT out of lockdown, they are just, from today, starting to slowly lift restrictions on travel in Hubei province for healthy folk only. No relaxation is planned for the city of Wuhan until 8th April.

And the UK's lockdown (sic) amounts almost to complete freedom in comparison to that imposed in China and elsewhere. 

Someone else more pessimistic than me.  Things are looking up. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, with the Aussie test matches about to be cancelled there will be a bit more wriggle room. Whenever any semblance of normality does return many clubs will be desperate to start staging matches again in order to drag in much needed cash, assuming that they are still in existence by that time.

  • Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump says USA will be free of the Coronavirus by Easter; now that’s what I call positive. 
is he suffering from something?

  • Haha 1

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am telling you all that this will NOT be over soon.

 And I myself am showing some of the signs of this,ie some headache,some coughing(not major)and feeling general like ?.NHS direct said it is possible I have it though maybe mild.I have not been tested.

Or it could be the onset of a cold and for some reason I can catch them.

But let me say this to you all.

I am a libertarian but this is serious now and I urge you all to stay in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I am telling you all that this will NOT be over soon.

 

But let me say this to you all.

I am a libertarian but this is serious now and I urge you all to stay in.

Cheers Rob and hopefully you are virus free but rest assured Im not arguing about rights / wrongs / timescales 

Im just excited that there are at least two people posting on here that can be described as more pessimistic than me..A completely new experience 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2020 at 14:10, Crown Flatter said:

Trump says USA will be free of the Coronavirus by Easter; now that’s what I call positive. 
is he suffering from something?

I would be very surprised if that is the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I would be very surprised if that is the case.

What, you don't think that he is suffering from something?

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

What, you don't think that he is suffering from something?

Such as a complete lack of moral fibre, humility and basic human decency?

  • Like 1

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

What, you don't think that he is suffering from something?

He is certainly being optimistic.Personally If I was him I would have said something like we hope to have eradicated this by Easter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

He is certainly being optimistic.Personally If I was him I would have said something like we hope to have eradicated this by Easter.

yer,2021. dig in its gonna be a long ride this one, all those folks who were saying"its only flu" now we have lockdown and people fighting in supermarket carparks for a place in the que,and numpties attacking the ambulances. spare a thought for the nhs workers who have to go home on a night to their familys wondering what if.scarey times. be safe folks.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we see any rugby league restart this season we will be very lucky.

My worry is that if there is no rugby league by say July there may be no Sky money as I have read that the money is only guaranteed until June.

And without money coming into clubs via the turnstiles,corporate events,sponsorship etc I fear we will lose clubs even with furlough.

Please let me be wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to Gary Hetherington on Radio Leeds today, he sounded a worried man. Given that the Leeds Rhinos Club is probably the wealthiest with all their different operations, they are set to lose about £1.5 million if they don’t get playing soon. 
 


Legs, Dews, Legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In today's League Express they are confidently predicting that RL will not restart before July, that Magic Weekend and the Big Bash weekend will be cancelled and that the structures of the league competitions are still undecided. They base these predictions upon discussions with sources who are more informed than we.

Whether we agree or disagree with these forecasts it is without doubt that we should be prepared for the RL shutdown to continue for a considerable length of time.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

In today's League Express they are confidently predicting that RL will not restart before July, that Magic Weekend and the Big Bash weekend will be cancelled and that the structures of the league competitions are still undecided. They base these predictions upon discussions with sources who are more informed than we.

Whether we agree or disagree with these forecasts it is without doubt that we should be prepared for the RL shutdown to continue for a considerable length of time.

July would be very optimistic.I personally don’t think we will see any rugby league until say mid/late July or August.

And in my opinion if we are looking at a July restart,if safe and this virus has gone  then play the remaining fixtures until the scheduled finish date.The fixtures lost will have to remain lost.There will be too many to catch up with.And therefore there can be no relegation or promotion.

Now to me if the season cannot be restarted by August then I think it should be written off completely.

 And if that is going to be the case then we deal with the ramifications as a game head on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think cancellation of fixtures will destroy the clubs. I would personally like us to finish the season. Play until its done into the winter. Shorten next season by dropping cups and international comps maybe slightly delay the start. 

  • Like 3

www.dewsburyramstv.co.uk - free highlights service

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

July would be very optimistic.I personally don’t think we will see any rugby league until say mid/late July or August.

And in my opinion if we are looking at a July restart,if safe and this virus has gone  then play the remaining fixtures until the scheduled finish date.The fixtures lost will have to remain lost.There will be too many to catch up with.And therefore there can be no relegation or promotion.

Now to me if the season cannot be restarted by August then I think it should be written off completely.

 And if that is going to be the case then we deal with the ramifications as a game head on.

 

No one can know for sure but I think we might be off and running in some form by July.   Cancel the challenge cup and 1895.  No cup games would mean we can catch up a little and finish before Xmas with a slightly later start next year as suggested by James b.  
excellent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a World Cup scheduled for autumn 2021 so a late start is unlikely to happen.

There will be some more games played this year for certain, even if only "friendlies". The clubs need some income and the players need to play. SL will have to resume if they hope to continue to receive Sky money and this could also impact upon distributions to Championship clubs etc. Without generating some income this year a number of clubs might simply cease to exist, and this might not simply be the obvious subjects.

The picture is very complicated and a number of people have been modelling the various permutations seriously for a long time. I have no doubt that there are quite a few scenarios available, one of which will be launched dependent upon developments.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

There is a World Cup scheduled for autumn 2021 so a late start is unlikely to happen.

There will be some more games played this year for certain, even if only "friendlies". The clubs need some income and the players need to play. SL will have to resume if they hope to continue to receive Sky money and this could also impact upon distributions to Championship clubs etc. Without generating some income this year a number of clubs might simply cease to exist, and this might not simply be the obvious subjects.

The picture is very complicated and a number of people have been modelling the various permutations seriously for a long time. I have no doubt that there are quite a few scenarios available, one of which will be launched dependent upon developments.

Complicated indeed BSJ.  But have faith.   We’ll be playing by July.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Social distancing will remain until a vaccine is available and approx. 40 million have been inoculated. This is unlikely to be before end of October. SL games behind closed doors will be on TV from end July, you can forget any at our level 


Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be a very brave person who gives the call for a start date for any games at all,How would they know if these games could start a second wave of this virus?

i would love to see some rugby for sure even on telly,have got best looking veg plot and greenhouse in yorkshire,cleanest house too but if it means staying in until end a year so be it, our family members are much more important than any game.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Social distancing will remain until a vaccine is available and approx. 40 million have been inoculated. This is unlikely to be before end of October. SL games behind closed doors will be on TV from end July, you can forget any at our level 

There is no vaccine and unlikely to be one developed and trialled this year. The lockdown wil start to be eased in May but sports gatherings won't be permitted until late June at the earliest.

Batley discover another tourtuous way to avoid the drop.

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read that a Warrington player has tested positive for Coronavirus.According to the report he has caught it from his Mrs because she works at a hospital in Wigan,Wigan Infirmary I think and has caught the virus herself from no doubt her workplace.

It shows how easy it can be caught.

 And I think reading that article we can forget about rugby league restarting anytime soon.I personally don’t think upon reading that we will see any this year.I think the season will end up being a write off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I have read that a Warrington player has tested positive for Coronavirus.According to the report he has caught it from his Mrs because she works at a hospital in Wigan,Wigan Infirmary I think and has caught the virus herself from no doubt her workplace.

It shows how easy it can be caught.

 And I think reading that article we can forget about rugby league restarting anytime soon.I personally don’t think upon reading that we will see any this year.I think the season will end up being a write off.

July?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Wednesday, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said large gatherings such as sports events and concerts would probably not be allowed in the city until 2021.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52304993 

On relaxing the current restrictions, Prof Ferguson (British epidemiologist and Professor of Mathematical Biology at Imperial College, who specialises in the patterns of spread of infectious disease in humans and animals) said: "What we really need is the ability to put something in their place. If we want to open schools, let people get back to work, then we need to keep transmission down in another manner.

"And I should say, it's not going to be going back to normal. We will have to maintain some level of social distancing, a significant level of social distancing, probably indefinitely until we have a vaccine available."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52308201 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...