The future of Rugby League World magazine: A poll

These are difficult days, and we are pondering one particularly difficult question right now, about whether to suspend the publication of Rugby League World magazine until the sport resumes after the Coronavirus pandemic is over.

We would be grateful for your thoughts. Martyn Sadler is running an online poll on the matter via Twitter. Please vote if you can. The more feedback we get, the more confident that whatever decision we make, it is the right one to secure the longer term future of the magazine through this crisis.

12 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Don't know what to say John. Thoughts go out to you blokes and the game as a whole. Just hope the goverment can provide the necessary support to stop entire industries from complete collapse.

But if you produce it, I'll still buy it.

I'm in that camp, too. 

There is still plenty you could write about, historic teams and games, development in other countries, NCL and other lower league rugby (not the matches obviously!)  

I’ll carry on buying it if you carry on producing a magazine but if you want to move it online and give me a login for my subscription that’s fine with me - whatever makes most sense financially for you chaps. 

Is there not articles from the bygone eras that could be re-published? I’d be interested to read some old articles on the state of the game to see how accurate some of the predictions were. 

Also, I’m sure plenty of employees of clubs and players will be able to give you insights into what they’re up to at present. Also, do we have any Rugby League players in the health industry? An uplifting story on them would be great too. 

However, totally understandable if it’s not possible. 

I am not a subscriber, so not sure if the question is directed at me or not.  But I think keeping an online presence would make sense.

That being said, would your audience not be interested in reading NRL news?  Because as long as they keep that going, perhaps it might still be worth keeping your publications going?  With more emphasis on NRL of course.

I have not read a hard copy in a least 5 years as magazine distribution companies in NZ apparently no longer order it and the Wellington Central Library stopped being able to order a copy.

I see no reason why magazine should not continue as long as Writers, Editors, Technical support people can all work safely from home if need be. There are always things to write about, hows is Mose Masoe doing at this time and under theses circumstances? New York Franchise, what plans do Ottawa & Toronto have plans to assist grassroots development in Canada and develop pathways to the semi pro and pro levels, theres also history of game and nostalgia to write about. Then theres the obvious covering the effects of this virus on Clubs, Coummities and people involved in the sport. 

Perhaps fans write to Rugby League world with amusing stories or the first game they ever went too. I'm sure there are some very good stories out there just waiting to be told.

I was told that when my father took me to my first game pre school that he took a bunch of bananas with him to give me one every time i moaned and was constipated for a for more than a few days. Not sure if that's the whole story or how true the banana bit is, but it became a family joke.

There is obviously more meat on the bones than that regarding my first game, but that's just a outline of it.

17 hours ago, John Drake said:

These are difficult days, and we are pondering one particularly difficult question right now, about whether to suspend the publication of Rugby League World magazine until the sport resumes after the Coronavirus pandemic is over.

We would be grateful for your thoughts. Martyn Sadler is running an online poll on the matter via Twitter. Please vote if you can. The more feedback we get, the more confident that whatever decision we make, it is the right one to secure the longer term future of the magazine through this crisis.

What happens to my subscription payments? I pay quarterly 

If it can fully move online and be produced with people working in accordance with the government guidelines then I would hope it would keep going.

The next few months are going to be difficult for most, if not all.  I think we will all welcome some form of distraction from current events.

I am a subscriber to both the mag and the paper.  I wonder whether interviews with players and chairman could not be done all via the phone.  

Please keep going and stay safe.

He has not gone Johnny. 

Still does his quarterly magazine and his yearly annual. But,and I may be wrong here, he is struggling ,along with many other magazines to make ends meet.The magazines are a really good read for all us old timers ,not including you here Johnny as I do not know your age,who like to reminice.

2 hours ago, fairfolly said:

He has not gone Johnny. 

Still does his quarterly magazine and his yearly annual. But,and I may be wrong here, he is struggling ,along with many other magazines to make ends meet.The magazines are a really good read for all us old timers ,not including you here Johnny as I do not know your age,who like to reminice.

As a child I grew up watching  the game on Grandstand and BBC 2 Floodlight Rugby League.

For those on here requesting  articles on old teams historic games etc check out Rugby League Journal an absolute delight.

Rugby League World carry on. Once something  goes it might go forever. Best wishes

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Irish Saint,

The Rugby League Journal is Harry Edgars magazine. As you say,brilliant reading for us old timers.These mags. bring back lots of memories. I also agree with you with Rugby League World. However it is easy for us to say carry on,at the end of the day the R.L.E and Rugby League World  are produced by Martyn and Co. as a business. If the business is losing money for any length of time it is very difficult to carry on.I do however wish them the best of luck and hope they can hang on until Rugby League starts again.

2 hours ago, fairfolly said:

He has not gone Johnny. 

Don't worry FF, I'm definitely in the old timer bracket, and I do have a number of Harry's publications. Wonderful stuff.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Yes Johnny,

In one of last years editions there was a really good  spread about the Batten family.I have a friend of Ray Battens the ex Leeds player. He told me he was not very well and things not looking good for him.I gave him the magazine to give to Ray. He said he had never seen it and never really knew all the history of his family.He said he was absolutely delighted and I told my friend to tell him to keep it. At the moment my friend is back in York and he tells me that he thinks Ray has deteriorated so a nice tale has turned into a sad one.Hopefully he just may make a recovery,I hope so anyway.

The people have clearly spoken, however it'll be a shame and I'm a little surprised given the wider remit of RLW, and the fact it's not as time sensetive as League Express, that it's RLW that is being circled for the pause. I'm sure there are logistical reasons why RLW has been considered over LE - people not going to shops as much etc, a gap left in the market to be filled by a competitor (in both instances to be fair) - however I'd have thought people would have been defaulting to TRL et al for what little League Express style news there is. For me, I've never got to grips with the longer style features online that RLW tends to provide. May just be me. That said, if you do a virtual RLW in the gap I'll bung a quid or two in!

I voted no - and whilst it seems that "yes" would have been the winner regardless, it seems a shame that two of the options in the poll were weighted towards the close down option.

I'm aware this is essentially semantics in a tough time for an independent publisher. Obviously do whatever you guys need to do and see you on the other side!

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Archived