greatest game memories

Anita Bath

2 hours ago, Excolt 1 said:

I can picture now

Your post reminds me of the time, I guess around 1960, possibly against Leigh (these memory problems!) when the game was in real doubt.  It was freezing, any straw/snow had been pushed beyond the touch lines but the fog remained, slowly clearing.  We very few diehard supporters were allowed to stand on the touch line in front of the main stand.  We still couldn’t see the corner flags.  I think we lost.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks Excolt for posting the programmes. The 1955 Hornets v New Zealand programme reminded me of my former friend and neighbour - Wally Ellean, whose Hornets’ career was halted with a broken leg. His wife was a friend of my mother who worked at the Milnrow Spinning company - (now there’s a place where a young lad had to be brave to walk the aisles and cotton ‘snowfalls’!).  I survived.  The programme also highlights culture in Rochdale with the French film “Rififi” at the Regal - accompanied by “Quatermas Xperiment”, a double bill, both with “X” certificates!  

On 01/04/2020 at 13:42, Anita Bath said:

You are hallucinating Diddy!  Too many Tui Beers!

It was all goal kicks, Coslett 4 chamberlain 1

If only we could hold saints to goalkicks now

Oh ok,must be getting mixed up with another game. Too many Websters at Sudden Club methinks at the time!

Fantastic piece of social history those programmes.  Floodlight Final 10 000 on a Tuesday night and anybody's game I still remember it.

Rochdale was a good town as well in the late seventies I remember being taken to Yates then Tiffs Sat night with Brickcroft as a full family outing on the Sunday before the train home.  No RL fans in that family as I recall.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more old programmes...challenge cup semi final 1948...yes we used to get to the semi final every 10 years or so (but always drew wigan!

In the 48 challenge cup We beat amateurs Pemberton rangers 13-0 and 11-0 in a two legged first round,, belle vue 3-2 at home in second round and keighley 6-4 away in QF... That was 9 tries and 3 goals against 3 goals...not many teams have got to CCSF without conceding a try. But we struggled for a goalkicker, winstanley topped the list with a grand total of 13 for the season (top tryscorer had 11) In the seven games leading up to and including the SF, which we lost 11-0, we kicked 1 goal having won 3 lost 3 and had a scoreless drawat home to workington. total points in those 7 games were 21-38 and workington shut us out completely home and away.

We had another 0-0 draw at barrow that season and had wins of 29-0, 22-0 and 19-0 in home wins against York, Liverpool and Swinton.

On the 24 jan we played away to Saints, we had won 6 and lost 18 at that point with the only away win being on opening day at York.We hadnt won since 29 November and were 0-1-10 in last eleven games having scored a paltry 25 points in those games in total. We beat Saints 9-8 (our last win at Knowsley Road) and went 5-1-1 in the next 7 games.

The three other programmes are from the thirties. Liverpool Stanley on Xmas Day played at the old greyhound track, and home and away games from 1933.

We had amateur opponents in the Lancashire Cup that season aswell, a combined Lancashire amateur team, in another two leg tie which we won 16-5 and 7-2 to get to the QF where we lost 27-3 away to.....Wigan.

I make our record in cup games against wigan as won 3 lost 23!  The last time we beat them in a cup game was 8-6 in november 1919 in the lancashire cup and this was the third consecutive time we had cup wins over them. In April 1919 in a shortened season following the 1918 armistice we beat them 40-0 in theLancs cup SF and we beat then 3-2 in the lancashire cup final in Dec 1914.

898C5DA9-6E2B-49EC-BFE5-8153DBDBD4E1.jpeg

7D35DAC3-08FA-4076-98D6-EB6B9461D6FF.jpeg

E461299D-6C49-4071-A5DD-9D47D4553B5C.jpeg

5A2F4ADA-C808-4AEB-87E2-F03025A3429E.jpeg

F25123BD-D87C-4733-A79F-DEF883B0CA80.jpeg

AF703062-A8D1-42B7-92CC-31FC3876B2CA.jpeg

B6681178-FD53-437B-87BE-A5291CCA35E0.jpeg

EEB18B52-637B-42A3-A268-BB96E3B3E971.jpeg

B1E3764D-B70A-4E16-9F2A-94DFD30ABD5F.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Great photos. Do you have any idea of the year for the photo of the training session?

There is a different photo of the challenge cup winning side in the Hornets centenary booklet which has the. names listed. I will try to post it.

the final photo is of the Challenge Cup semi final between Salford and Wigan at the Athletic Grounds, April 1 1939. It was the railway side stand

Two people died Joseph Howes, 41, from Rochdale and Annie West, 51 from Eccles.  17 others were taken to Rochdale Infirmary. Looking at the photo its amazing that more didnt lose life.

Thousands of fans got into the ground by rushing the gates and many climbed onto the stand roof to get a view of the game.

The incident was discussed in the house of commons the following week.

Four years earlier the main stand was burnt to the ground in an overnight fire following a game against Wigan. 

23 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Do you have any idea of the year for the photo of the training session?

Sorry, no idea. Originally, I came across these 3 images some years ago and the training session puzzled me as they were using the round ball and a huge ‘medicine’ ball!  Thanks for the extra info.

looking at the photo again are you sure its Hornets? there is no greyhound track and the stand looks to me to be the old willbutts lane stand at Spotland.

looks like it might be a Dale training session asopposed to Hornets

12 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

looking at the photo again are you sure its Hornets? there is no greyhound track and the stand looks to me to be the old willbutts lane stand at Spotland.

looks like it might be a Dale training session as opposed to Hornets

I think you are correct.  

Archived