Anita Bath

greatest game memories

2 hours ago, Excolt 1 said:

I can picture now

Your post reminds me of the time, I guess around 1960, possibly against Leigh (these memory problems!) when the game was in real doubt.  It was freezing, any straw/snow had been pushed beyond the touch lines but the fog remained, slowly clearing.  We very few diehard supporters were allowed to stand on the touch line in front of the main stand.  We still couldn’t see the corner flags.  I think we lost.

I have Wigan v Hornets 1958 semi final. Hornets v Australia 1967. St. Helens v Hornets BBC 2 Final1971. I have got two of each of these. If anyone wants them just contact me. 

Many thanks Excolt for posting the programmes. The 1955 Hornets v New Zealand programme reminded me of my former friend and neighbour - Wally Ellean, whose Hornets’ career was halted with a broken leg. His wife was a friend of my mother who worked at the Milnrow Spinning company - (now there’s a place where a young lad had to be brave to walk the aisles and cotton ‘snowfalls’!).  I survived.  The programme also highlights culture in Rochdale with the French film “Rififi” at the Regal - accompanied by “Quatermas Xperiment”, a double bill, both with “X” certificates!  

On 01/04/2020 at 13:42, Anita Bath said:

You are hallucinating Diddy!  Too many Tui Beers!

It was all goal kicks, Coslett 4 chamberlain 1

If only we could hold saints to goalkicks now

Oh ok,must be getting mixed up with another game. Too many Websters at Sudden Club methinks at the time!

Fantastic piece of social history those programmes.  Floodlight Final 10 000 on a Tuesday night and anybody's game I still remember it.

Rochdale was a good town as well in the late seventies I remember being taken to Yates then Tiffs Sat night with Brickcroft as a full family outing on the Sunday before the train home.  No RL fans in that family as I recall.

Alan, would be very happy to have one of the programmes of the 1958 Semi Final, if you could bring next home game  whenever  would be great -Many Thanks