Movies to catch up on

I saw thing in the paper today about films that you might have missed out on that are available to watch.

They recommended " The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" on Netflix.

It had passed me by but I I'm glad I watched it. Each chapter is different, some funny some quirky.

Highly recommended.

Any others?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

See my Cheesy Movie thread. Quality entertainment there.

Plus use this search engine to see what's available on the platforms you can access: https://www.justwatch.com/uk 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

47 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I saw thing in the paper today about films that you might have missed out on that are available to watch.

They recommended " The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" on Netflix.

It had passed me by but I I'm glad I watched it. Each chapter is different, some funny some quirky.

Highly recommended.

Any others?

Will have a look at that.

Kenny is worth a watch - mockumentary about an Aussie portaloo installer.

The Upside.

Currently on Prime and other platforms.   One of the few feel good movies available on platforms that are currently awash with zombie outbreak or virus pandemic movies.

Nice story about a criminal who gets a job as a carer for a paralysed billionaire.

9 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I cried tonight, again. Fkn Casablanca. Damn that films good, so many great scenes

It was never a major project, just one of many churned out at the time, but they got it so right. Originally, Ronald Reagan was cast as Rick.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It was never a major project, just one of many churned out at the time, but they got it so right. Originally, Ronald Reagan was cast as Rick.

Dont matter. It is still a wonderful, evocative, revolutionary movie. When they sing la Marseilles  against the German grunting, I cry too.

14 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

So many great lines.

Here's looking at you kid.

You played it for her, play it again.

Too many

Follow that with another Bogart movie, "To have and have not". This is where he met Lauren Bacall for the first time, and you can tell the chemistry's a lot more than acting. Plus it is a great film.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Follow that with another Bogart movie, "To have and have not". This is where he met Lauren Bacall for the first time, and you can tell the chemistry's a lot more than acting. Plus it is a great film.

Follow that with 'Key Largo' - Edward G Robinson as the gangster stuck on the Florida Keys as a hurricane approaches and Humpty Gocart (as my parental grandfather always called him) as an ex soldier visiting the father of a friend killed in action.

5 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Follow that with 'Key Largo' - Edward G Robinson as the gangster stuck on the Florida Keys as a hurricane approaches and Humpty Gocart (as my parental grandfather always called him) as an ex soldier visiting the father of a friend killed in action.

Parental as  opposed to marental??

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Maltese Falcon, too.

16 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Just finished the book by her/him

I read it not long ago too (by Dasheill Hammett) - one of a 'Book of the Film' set purchased several years ago. Others in the set I've got through are The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity and Hombre. Do Androids..., The Grifters, Minority Report and The Bourne Identity will provide some light (?!) relief in the coming weeks. I may well have a look around for the films to watch too.

36 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Maltese Falcon, too.

Oh yes, and the supporting cast is great, especially Sydney Greenstreet as Casper Gutman, plus Peter Lorre at his twitchiest.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

In my humble opinion To Have and Have Not is the better of the two. Just. The other Bogart/Bacall film that is a must watch is The Big Sleep where their on screen chemistry continues. And, Lauren Bacall in her day ???.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Archived