Best Forward Pack?

Watching the Brisbane game and I was in awe at the talent they have in the forward pack. Flegler is a future Aussie prop, Carrigan is a great prospect and workhorse in the middle, Bullemor is another great prospect and then there’s the stars which have been mentioned before of Fifita, Haas, Pangai Jr, Ofahengaue. 

Really, all they lack is a quality hooker, although Turpin is showing some promise. 

It made me think, what is the best forward pack you’ve come across?

6 minutes ago, LR23 said:

I only watch the odd NRL game so can’t really comment but I was really impressed by Flegler and Haas - Brisbane didn’t look the same team when they went off.

Brisbane had a depleted pack - they didn’t have Ofahengaue, Pangai Jr or Lodge who would all be in their 17. It’s an impressive pack that’s for sure

The Wigan pack that played in the 92, 2nd test took some beating.  I watched that game and had forgotten how they gave the Aussie forwards a hammering.  Of course, they couldn’t quite do it in the 3rd test but that was down to the Aussie backs being too strong.

Skerret - Dermott - Platt - McGinty - Betts - Clarke. 

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

The Wigan pack that played in the 92, 2nd test took some beating.  I watched that game and had forgotten how they gave the Aussie forwards a hammering.  Of course, they couldn’t quite do it in the 3rd test but that was down to the Aussie backs being too strong.

Skerret - Dermott - Platt - McGinty - Betts - Clarke. 

Must say that came into my mind . Hell of an achievement 

If I had to choose and could ignore the villains

Cas end of the 60s and Widnes during their cup runs would be admired, hated and impressed with.

If I was picking a set of forwards for my pack I'd probably be changing my mind every two seconds.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

What about the best pack your team’s had . Thinking back to 1977 Lancashire Cup final ... 

8. Derek Watts

9. Alan Banks

10. Eddie Bowman 

11. Les Gorley

12. Peter Gorley

13. Billy Pattinson

I was fortunate to be at Melbourne for that 1992 test match. It certainly was a game I will never forget. A huge following from the U.K..all singing at the end of the match to the Aussies " Always look on the bright side of life".Wet through with the beer they were throwing at us but well worth it. At the end of that night in our hotel wet through on the outside,wet through on the inside.Stevo, Mal Reilly, Peter Fox, Arthur Bunting,Roger Millward, Len Casey,Eddie Bowman all singing their heads off. You would have thought they were all the best of friends,well they was that night.

10 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Watching the Brisbane game and I was in awe at the talent they have in the forward pack. Flegler is a future Aussie prop, Carrigan is a great prospect and workhorse in the middle, Bullemor is another great prospect and then there’s the stars which have been mentioned before of Fifita, Haas, Pangai Jr, Ofahengaue. 

Really, all they lack is a quality hooker, although Turpin is showing some promise. 

It made me think, what is the best forward pack you’ve come across?

This Brisbane pack is sensational.

Best I remember was Balmain late 90s

Roach

Elias

Hemsley

Sironen

McGuire

Pearce

I recall the Wigan pack of the mid-'60s being pretty useful, with the likes of Colin Clarke at hooker, Roy Evans and Brian McTeague, and with Laurie Gilfedder at loose forward; Gilfedder was also a good goalkicker.  It was Evans who ran a lovely line to burst through the Saints defence and score the only try of the game in Wigan's 7-2 cup success on the way to Wembley victory over Hunslet.

All that said, those were my formative years of watching the sport (and being a cherry-and-whites' fan), so I cannot honestly say that my judgement is necessarily reliable!

I think the Bradford packs of the late 90s were quite something. 

McDermott, Lowes, Vagana, Peacock, Gartner, Forshaw. 

It's not just that, though, it's the fact that Fielden, Anderson and, say, Radford would be coming from the bench. 

For impact across 80 minutes it's hard to beat.

People called Romans they go the house

2 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Not necessarily the best, but one that played close to the edge was the Warrington pack of the mid to late 80s; Boyd, Tamati, Jackson, Rathbone and Roberts. The polish being provided by Gregory. 

Yes I thought of this one and then put them aside for reasons like they didn't just overstep the mark they stepped on everyone, eveything and most rules in between ........ awsome enforces though.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Not necessarily the best, but one that played close to the edge was the Warrington pack of the mid to late 80s; Boyd, Tamati, Jackson, Rathbone and Roberts. The polish being provided by Gregory. 

In fairness to them, despite their ‘reputation’ they could play a bit.

With the benefit of hindsight, that was a frightening group of 'mongrel' forwards. Totally agree that they all had skill to burn, but why bother eh'. ?

I thought the season that David Fairleigh played with Saints in 2001 they had a fantastic pack... including Cunningham, Joynt & Sculthorpe.

Their pack in the 2001 World Club Challenge was.

Fairleigh 

Cunningham 

Nickle 

Joint

Shields

Sculthorpe 

A pretty good pack and the Brisbane pack that day wasn't too shabby either. 

Webcke 

Priddis

Civoniceva

Tallis

Carlaw 

Lee

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, MrPosh said:

I think the Bradford packs of the late 90s were quite something. 

McDermott, Lowes, Vagana, Peacock, Gartner, Forshaw. 

It's not just that, though, it's the fact that Fielden, Anderson and, say, Radford would be coming from the bench. 

For impact across 80 minutes it's hard to beat.

Good pack but the pack under fox 8 years b4 was good. Dixon, medley and fairbank as a back 3.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Archived