Ooh! I didn't think I still had that

Delving for ingredients I found some 2 year old cornflower. I suspect if I looked a bit harder I could probably beat it.

Anyone found anything in their larder , fridge or freezer that is older and is it so old that you would bin it straight away or think "it'll be ok for a bit longer"?

Or even so old and mouldy that it would probably win a prize in Crufts?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 minute ago, Bearman said:

Delving for ingredients I found some 2 year old cornflower. I suspect if I looked a bit harder I could probably beat it.

Anyone found anything in their larder , fridge or freezer that is older and is it so old that you would bin it straight away or think "it'll be ok for a bit longer"?

Or even so old and mouldy that it would probably win a prize in Crufts?

Hard packed preserves (like a solid block of brown sugar) etc. can be softened up by placing a small orange/lemon peel in with it for awhile sealed up...its amazing!  People just might have to lean some of the Old Ways once again.

27 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Hard packed preserves (like a solid block of brown sugar) etc. can be softened up by placing a small orange/lemon peel in with it for awhile sealed up...its amazing!  People just might have to lean some of the Old Ways once again.

What? You have fruit in the house even if no one is ill ?

Posh.

Ron Banks

Got a packet of dried kidney beans with a 2011 sell by date, not use by.

Please note, there is a difference. Use By, is a definite date, sell By is open to interpretation by the purchasers. I have healthily eaten dried and tinned food years past a Sell By date.

Just the other night there was an advert on T.V. for Tiger Balm. I had never heard of it,my wife said I am sure I have a tin of that somewhere. She went rooting around,drawers,cupboards, sewing tins and hey presto,there she was proud as punch with this tin of Tiger Balm.I said where did you get this from? Her answer ,I bought it in Singapore airport when we stopped there on our way to Australia. I said that was in 1988 when we went on our first Ashes tour. 32 years ago and I had never seen or heard of it. Just one problem ,I can not get the lid off,and if I try to prise it off I think the tin will disintegrate.Anybody want to buy a 32 years old tin of Tiger Balm.Just joking,it is her most prized possession now.

Sorting through the back of my brother's garage I found a 250cc Villiers engine that came out of a 1961 Greaves scrambler that I know he sold in parts after the front forks were wrecked in a crash in 1972. I think he kept it because he replaced it with a D.O.T that had the same engine. After a few days fettling we got it running fine and planned on finding the parts to construct a restored bike, alas that plan fell by the wayside for one reason or another and we sold it on a couple of years ago.

10 hours ago, Bearman said:

What? You have fruit in the house even if no one is ill ?

Posh.

Lots of fruit here...no grapefruit though I'm not allowed grapefruit...of course it had to be my favourite of them all.

Going back a few years, but I remember helping my dad clear his kitchen before being re-done about 6 or 7 years ago. In a cupboard was a packet of dried processed peas, bought from Hillards in Ponte for 7.5p.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 21/03/2020 at 14:31, fairfolly said:

Just the other night there was an advert on T.V. for Tiger Balm. I had never heard of it,my wife said I am sure I have a tin of that somewhere. She went rooting around,drawers,cupboards, sewing tins and hey presto,there she was proud as punch with this tin of Tiger Balm.I said where did you get this from? Her answer ,I bought it in Singapore airport when we stopped there on our way to Australia. I said that was in 1988 when we went on our first Ashes tour. 32 years ago and I had never seen or heard of it. Just one problem ,I can not get the lid off,and if I try to prise it off I think the tin will disintegrate.Anybody want to buy a 32 years old tin of Tiger Balm.Just joking,it is her most prized possession now.

My mother-in-law uses Tiger Balm as a cure all. Got a cold? Tiger balm. Headache? Tiger Balm. Back hurts? Tiger Balm Broken leg? Tiger Balm. That and copious amounts of brandy.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

• 2 weeks later...

I have been tidying the loft.

We moved into this house the day that Charles married Diana in July1981. Some of the stuff we packed into boxes and wrapped in newspaper I suppose if we haven't used it in 38 years its fairly safe to chuck it!

I am looking forward to having a look at some of the newspaper headlines. 

Ron Banks

On 04/04/2020 at 12:32, Bearman said:

I have been tidying the loft.

We moved into this house the day that Charles married Diana in July1981. Some of the stuff we packed into boxes and wrapped in newspaper I suppose if we haven't used it in 38 years its fairly safe to chuck it!

I am looking forward to having a look at some of the newspaper headlines. 

Make sure to check the sports pages and see when wakey and cas are getting new grounds. 

18 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Make sure to check the sports pages and see when wakey and cas are getting new grounds. 

Surely that would be in the horoscope? ?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

On 06/04/2020 at 18:32, Bearman said:

Interest rates are down from 10 to 9.5 % ! ( July 21  1981) ?

It hard to imagine those days now after the last 25 years or so. My mortgage would be about £300 a month more for a start!

Amazing how the last ten years or so have seen interest rates on the canvas.

Even more amazing how so many people have taken on as much debt as possible, rather than taking the opportunity to pay mortgages, etc off.

Still, if you've got to "have it now", eh?

Chickens will be coming home to roost now over the next few months, so if you want a cheap Range Rover...

Archived