Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RL does what Sky says

Oldham - Wait and See !

Recommended Posts

A BBC programme from 1986 titled "Banned For Life" about the attitude at that time of Rugby Union to Rugby League. One interesting point in the programme (17m,08s) is an interview with the Waterloo RU winger and prolific goalkicker Mauirce Cotter who says that in about 1980 he had been approached by Oldham RL to play for them. That was at the same Oldham signed Adrian Alexander and Bob Mordell from Rugby Union.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, OK, I know this will cause some heartaches ... but it's something I have just noticed in this clip of action from the 1986 Challenge Cup semi-final against Castleford.

Not only does this show that Bob Beardsmore's leg was already over the dead-ball line when he touched down for Castleford's try, but the attack by Castleford only came about after a scrum had been awarded when Oldham were attacking near to the Castleford line and for Tom Nadiole losing the ball in a tackle (the fourth of the set).

That tackle is at about 1m20s on this clip of film, yet it clearly shows the Castleford player has interferred and pulled the ball out of Nadiole's grasp... and even Alex Murphy in commentary says "He did lose the ball but had a little bit of help from one of the Castleford players".

Therefore Oldham could have had an easy 2 points from the penalty - which would have put them 9-6 up with 20 minutes left - yet less than a minute later was Beardsmore's "try" which, with the conversion, put us 12-7 down.

Why does it always happen to us ?  I can only hope that I am still around when things even themselves out and we get the rub of the green.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although not a big film fan there are certain films I have seen several times  ie: The Sting, The Wicker Man, Goldfinger, Great Escape. Yet every time I watch them I seem to notice something new that I had noticed previously.

Similarly when watching videos of past Oldham matches.

I have again recently watched the video of Oldham's 1990 Challenge Cup win at Widnes, which can be seen via this link to the Oldham RL heritage website ... https://orl-heritagetrust.org.uk/game/widnes-v-oldham-3801/

At 14m,35s Mike Ford kicks ahead while Paul Lord chases forward and tackles a Widnes player but is then penalised for having been infront of the kicker. Yet when pausing the video at the moment of the Mike Ford's kick, Paul Lord is fractionally behind Mike Ford (Mike Ford is actually stood directly on one of the lines on the pitch and which makes it easier to judge).

Indeed, you will also notice that when the kick takes place, the touch-judge is directly next to Paul Lord and has a perfect view of both his and Mike Ford's position in relation to each other. The touch-judge then continues to run upfield (a sign that he thinks the chaser is onside) and you will also see the referee putting his arms out to indicate "all onside" ... yet he then penalises Lord. (However, the Oldham commentator is a bit over-the-top by saying he thought Lord was at least 4 yards onside !)

Although this particular incident has no effect on the outcome of the match, the reason I mention this is if we all think forward to what happened in the dying seconds of the semi-final against Warrington when Paul Lord was again given offside in a similar cirumstance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Although not a big film fan there are certain films I have seen several times  ie: The Sting, The Wicker Man, Goldfinger, Great Escape. Yet every time I watch them I seem to notice something new that I had noticed previously.

Similarly when watching videos of past Oldham matches.

I have again recently watched the video of Oldham's 1990 Challenge Cup win at Widnes, which can be seen via this link to the Oldham RL heritage website ... https://orl-heritagetrust.org.uk/game/widnes-v-oldham-3801/

At 14m,35s Mike Ford kicks ahead while Paul Lord chases forward and tackles a Widnes player but is then penalised for having been infront of the kicker. Yet when pausing the video at the moment of the Mike Ford's kick, Paul Lord is fractionally behind Mike Ford (Mike Ford is actually stood directly on one of the lines on the pitch and which makes it easier to judge).

Indeed, you will also notice that when the kick takes place, the touch-judge is directly next to Paul Lord and has a perfect view of both his and Mike Ford's position in relation to each other. The touch-judge then continues to run upfield (a sign that he thinks the chaser is onside) and you will also see the referee putting his arms out to indicate "all onside" ... yet he then penalises Lord. (However, the Oldham commentator is a bit over-the-top by saying he thought Lord was at least 4 yards onside !)

Although this particular incident has no effect on the outcome of the match, the reason I mention this is if we all think forward to what happened in the dying seconds of the semi-final against Warrington when Paul Lord was again given offside in a similar cirumstance.

Newton and Allen in the second row  were generally 2nd string to Charlie and roundy.  But to my mind whenever they were together they just clicked. Am I right in thinking that we also had another Newton and Allen playing together about 15 years ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Newton and Allen in the second row  were generally 2nd string to Charlie and roundy.  But to my mind whenever they were together they just clicked. Am I right in thinking that we also had another Newton and Allen playing together about 15 years ago?

Not quite ... 

There was a David Newton who played from 2002-04 while a David Allen who played in 2009.

In the late 1980s we did have Neil and Shaun .....  Our version of Flanagan and Allen

Perharps ours could have sung "Underneath the aitches"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Not quite ... 

There was a David Newton who played from 2002-04 while a David Allen who played in 2009.

In the late 1980s we did have Neil and Shaun .....  Our version of Flanagan and Allen

Perharps ours could have sung "Underneath the aitches"

And don't forget Ashley Gilbert and Chris O'Sullivan 88 -89. Our very own Gilbert O'Sullivan. Alone again, naturally. 😂

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 March 1989      Oldham v Widnes       Division 1       Lost 16-35

OK, Oldham lost but this shows why we used to love Watersheddings 😉

See how the weather changes from about 12.00 for the next 10 minutes.

Match details voa the Oldham RL Heritage website  https://orl-heritagetrust.org.uk/game/oldham-v-widnes-3767/

 

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...