Which player made you stand up in anticipation?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Graham Steadman , last time York were in the top flight Widnes were the first of the big guns to play at Clarence Street ,

they had done some research as whenever he had the ball some were backing off him as they did not have a clue what he was going to do , neither did we as home supporters.

Tawere Nikau.  T.    always shouted at telly. GIVE HIM BALL.

Dean Sampson. big yards and bigger hits with our without the ball.

Danny Brough. always seemed to make things happen in his younger days.

Brendan Toota. one a the toughest players have ever seen on a rugby pitch by far.

More recently players like James Roby and James Graham. 

A few years ago, Featherstone played Saints in a cup tie and I knew they were world-class but, I didn't really appreciate it until that point.

The same applies for people like Sean Long, Rob Burrow.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

With the excitement of being a Trinity (Watching live between 74 and 2008) and Sharks fan (Watching live between 2008 and 2020)

Dave Topliss

Mike Lampkowski

Andy Fletcher 

Steve Ella

Wally Lewis 

Tom Johnstone 

Val Holmes

Andrew Fifita

Mick Ennis 

in the opposition’s ranks creating fear and trepidation...

Hanley

Offiah

Davies

Millward

Gregory

Dyl

Holmes

Johnson (at the warriors)

the Fox (at Melbourne)

Thurston

Lockyer

One season in the early 1970s Oldham had a tall winger called Norman Hodgekinson. In his first season, he had the Midas touch running in tries from long distance and outstripping defences as though they were stuck in concrete. Every time the ball was funnelled his way a score was possible. Great times!

The following season,he lost his bottle and struggled even to catch the ball. From a terrace hero to an absolute dud. Amazing how his confidence vanished like the morning mist. He disappeared without trace after being the darling of the terraces. 

I think this thread has become a kind of "who was your favourite player" rather than the original topic.

For me, watching Huddersfield in the lower divisions, i always used to dread Mike Kuiti and Brendon Tuuta, they always seemed to cause damage,

Robinson and Offiah in their pomp at Wigan would always be excited, waiting to see what would happen, later, Rob Burrow was one player i always feared was going to tear us apart, Vainikolo at Bradford was the same, he seemed to be Jonah Lomu against our backs, and Luke Robinson, whenever he played against us, caused us problems, boy was i glad we signed him!

For Huddersfield, I can't speak for the opposition fans, but Wally Gibson, Dean Hanger, Paul Reilly and Stanley Gene always had me on edge, at times they seemed unplayable!

I have always liked players who do things of the cuff at times. Tommy Martyn at St Helens was one of them. Very unlucky not to get International recognition at a time when we used to persist with forwards playing Stand Off for GB, Farrell, Sinfield, Sculthorpe etc.

My first phase of watching our sport - live in the mid-1960s, Central Park one week and Hilton Park the next - never involved anything else but standing!  However, I understand what the thread title means.

The players who got me really excited were Billy Boston for Wigan and Alex Murphy for their mortal enemies, the Saints.

Nowadays, as an almost exclusively armchair viewer, I enjoy seeing those players who display a somewhat maverick streak, precisely because they do that.  in the recent past, there is Lee Briers, and currently, Tony Gigot and Hakim Miloudi at Toronto.

My last game attended live was les Dracs' Wembley success.  What was really exciting was to see very early on that Gigot was up for it, and willing to try things; whether they were in the McNamara playbook or not, who knows!  Enough of them worked for him to rightly be given the Lance Todd Trophy.

Briers was often very good and Gigot can be sometimes.  Miloudi, well, not yet!  But this thread is not, of course, necessarily about quality.

54 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

My first phase of watching our sport - live in the mid-1960s, Central Park one week and Hilton Park the next - never involved anything else but standing!  However, I understand what the thread title means.

The players who got me really excited were Billy Boston for Wigan and Alex Murphy for their mortal enemies, the Saints.

Nowadays, as an almost exclusively armchair viewer, I enjoy seeing those players who display a somewhat maverick streak, precisely because they do that.  in the recent past, there is Lee Briers, and currently, Tony Gigot and Hakim Miloudi at Toronto.

My last game attended live was les Dracs' Wembley success.  What was really exciting was to see very early on that Gigot was up for it, and willing to try things; whether they were in the McNamara playbook or not, who knows!  Enough of them worked for him to rightly be given the Lance Todd Trophy.

Briers was often very good and Gigot can be sometimes.  Miloudi, well, not yet!  But this thread is not, of course, necessarily about quality.

It isn't about quality or about your favourite player.  It is about the Player that got you out of your seat, created panic (or havoc) for the opposition and was the one who  could deliver.

You have named 2 in Murphy and Boston.  Murphy, as a younger player, had speed to burn and was capable of winning a game on his own.  Boston, with the ball in his hands in full flight would certainly get you out of your seat.

Very few in SL at present can do that imo.  The evidence is within the thread also.  Most are players from yesteryear.  Speedsters in Johnstone and Aldo Carr are certainly that, especially in open field.

One currently playing in SL is BMM.  Virtually unstoppable from 5m out and would get the Wire fans of their butts just as much as opposition fans screaming for the defence to tackle him.

I'd echo a lot of the above.  Barrie McDermott at his best always skittled a few.  Steve Menzies and Brett Mullins always looked they could score when they had the ball.  Wendell Sailor in his prime.  Tuqiri at Brisbane.

Tom Johnstone three years ago.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived