13 team super league?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not sure it is allowed under SLE’s articles of association but seems fair enough to me.

With the World Cup next year, a 25-round season including Magic (and no loopy fixtures) would do England a favour. 

Don’t think you can have an odd number of teams and keep magic. 

I agree no relegation is fair, 14 would be my ideal as it gives us a 27 game season which I have always preferred.

Main reason I can see for no change from 12 happening is that any increase dilutes the Sky money and the SL clubs are going to want every penny they can get hold of.

They could however opt for 13 and pilfer Toronto's share again.

No sense in making it 13 and you’d still have loop fixtures. With a bit of luck and a fair wind London and Toulouse would come up and then you would have an impressive looking 14 teams to play home and away. 27 games with magic so as to give credence to the playoffs. That being said we may be lucky yet to have 10 teams  including those 2 who make it through the year. I suspect we’ll end up without home/away this season if at all. So coffers will be stretched. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

It all depends on how long the shutdown goes on for. I can't see the closed door scenario being allowed, although if soccer goes ahead (which I suspect it won't) then we might continue. No, if this continues into mid July or even August then  this season will have to be dumped and we start again next year, albeit with probably far fewer clubs.

14 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What would be the point of going to 13 for a year? Either a 13 team league is the best product or it isnt. 

I like Carter and he has done a good job pulling Wakefield out of the mire but everything he says seems simply an argument to protect a status quo that isnt working. 

As he says, relegating a club could see it fall by the wayside. Why is that true this year but not next, or the year after that? Are two going to be relegated next year making it more difficult for the promoted team to stay up? 

My prediction for RL is that we will spend millions of pounds and months of effort to protect something we all know is desperate need of change (and almost certainly will see substantial change in the next year or so anyway)

He was probably asked a question of what could happen this year to make sense of this mess we are in. If clubs can’t fulfil some or all of there fixtures, what do you do? The longer the suspension goes on, the more the debate is relevant...

f3gms4.jpg

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Not sure it is allowed under SLE’s articles of association but seems fair enough to me.

With the World Cup next year, a 25-round season including Magic (and no loopy fixtures) would do England a favour. 

Who doesn't play at Magic then ?

8 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Only way you could keep Magic Weekend in an odd numbered league is to have 2 of them to even it out (and an on the road game for the odd 2 teams that miss each event).

So not an odd number ?

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

What would be the point of going to 13 for a year? Either a 13 team league is the best product or it isnt. 

I like Carter and he has done a good job pulling Wakefield out of the mire but everything he says seems simply an argument to protect a status quo that isnt working. 

As he says, relegating a club could see it fall by the wayside. Why is that true this year but not next, or the year after that? Are two going to be relegated next year making it more difficult for the promoted team to stay up? 

My prediction for RL is that we will spend millions of pounds and months of effort to protect something we all know is desperate need of change (and almost certainly will see substantial change in the next year or so anyway)

Conveniently his proposal keeps Wakefield up.

Archived