Big changes at London Skolars

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

What does this do for Skolars’ future? It appears from what they’ve said that there are no new backers, which they were looking for in the off-season. 

Uncertain (although obviously every thing Is uncertain). The other directors remain, however. 

Just now, DoubleD said:

Hector has been a true pioneer of the game in London, it's sad to see him step down but it's an all encompassing role and often thankless...........hopefully the Skolars won't suffer from his departure

Absolutely. A massive contribution. I think he and Terry will continue a relationship with the club but not as owners. 

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Are they the moneymen?

Both and particularly Hector have invested a lot in recent years. I think it’s been clear for a while that to meet the clubs potential we need a significant new investor(s). Obviously hasn’t been Mr Argyle (so far). I guess remaining Directors will review options (post virus). Money isn’t being taken out of the club though. 

I remember picking up Hector outside a north London tube station to take him to one of our London Amateur League games on a Sunday. What he achieved in elevating the Skolars to the Rugby League pro/semi pro levels is nothing more than outstanding. He deserves some recognition from the game. An incredible proponent of the sport.

For the wider game, the most valuable thing Skolars provides is not its performance as a semi-pro team scrabbling around the lower half of L1, it's the community work it does providing an entry point into the sport for hundreds of young people in North London (a huge untapped demographic), and a pathway beyond into the higher professional clubs. 

I hope that whatever the Skolars' future is on the field, this vital pathway work continues. Covid fallout and the future TV deal will have a big impact on that, and who knows whether the current semi-pro L1 team is the best way to carry that out. 

4 hours ago, dealwithit said:

Heard they wanted to much $$ to handover the club. Now they’ve stepped down with nothing anyways....

I would imagine it would cost no more than around £ 250000.00 a season for a League 1 club there must be someone out there.

Any idea how much was being asked?

6 hours ago, dealwithit said:

Heard they wanted to much $$ to handover the club. Now they’ve stepped down with nothing anyways....

That’s rubbish. What’s the source? I’m involved with the club in a small way (hold some shares) and know the opposite is true. In fact I know how much they’ve ploughed into the club when no expectation of a return let alone a profit. They put extra in last year in anticipation of the Argyle money. 

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

For the wider game, the most valuable thing Skolars provides is not its performance as a semi-pro team scrabbling around the lower half of L1, it's the community work it does providing an entry point into the sport for hundreds of young people in North London (a huge untapped demographic), and a pathway beyond into the higher professional clubs. 

I hope that whatever the Skolars' future is on the field, this vital pathway work continues. Covid fallout and the future TV deal will have a big impact on that, and who knows whether the current semi-pro L1 team is the best way to carry that out. 

Totally agree Toby but would add to that the innovative approach they take such as the Capital Challenge and link with Barnet College. 

Sad to hear that Hector is seeking to be no longer involved at Skolars. He has made the club and has been a force for stability. They may not have done much on the field, but they have been a solid presence over 25 years. Compare that to the nomadic existence of other expansion area clubs.

I hope the club goes into safe hands.

I applaud all the hard work that has gone in from the London clubs including Hemel, especially in regards to the community game.

I'd like to see pro/semi pro clubs in development areas having a more unified approach to development.  Could the Skolars and Broncos and possibly even Hemel follow the Newcastle approach and collectively build a London North junior and open age league.  If they worked together I'm sure they could help build up a strong community game in that area.

8 hours ago, dealwithit said:

Unless you can provide solid evidence which isn’t the mate who heard something in the pub then give up

22 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I applaud all the hard work that has gone in from the London clubs including Hemel, especially in regards to the community game.

I'd like to see pro/semi pro clubs in development areas having a more unified approach to development.  Could the Skolars and Broncos and possibly even Hemel follow the Newcastle approach and collectively build a London North junior and open age league.  If they worked together I'm sure they could help build up a strong community game in that area.

This is totally my own thoughts but I wonder, with the exception of Broncos, whether the immediate future is indeed building the amateur game and foundations down here as you suggest. It doesn’t seem to be doing All Golds any harm for example. In saying that Skolars absolutely have the potential to compete in L1, particularly with our coach. There is a three year growth strategy (year ones a bit buggered now) - would like to see that given a chance. 

By way agree with everyone about nominating Hector for an award. 

Archived