Big changes at London Skolars

I met Hector once in my previous life in financial services when I lived in the UK. He struck me as a genuine Rugby League man, Skolars are a great club, I hope their future is safe.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, dealwithit said:

Heard they wanted to much $$ to handover the club. Now they’ve stepped down with nothing anyways....

There's always one isn't there?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Hector and Terry have finally realised what I have been saying for the past two seasons. We are terrible on the pitch and nearly as bad off it. It’s going to be a long season for us and they probably didn’t want the embarrassment seeing Skolars down the bottom of the table again and putting money into the club to pay players which most of them are no better than NCL division 3 players. 

12 minutes ago, Londonfan said:

Hector and Terry have finally realised what I have been saying for the past two seasons. We are terrible on the pitch and nearly as bad off it. It’s going to be a long season for us and they probably didn’t want the embarrassment seeing Skolars down the bottom of the table again and putting money into the club to pay players which most of them are no better than NCL division 3 players. 

100% No. That’s not why they’re doing it. There are reasons for both of them, which are fair enough but I can assure you you’re wrong to suggest either of them would share your view (why on earth do you follow the club if you dislike it so much?) A passing understanding of the clubs history would show you that neither of their investments have been based on thinking Skolars would be a top table club. There have been many seasons when we’ve struggled over the last 25 year. In fact the last 5-6 seasons have been the highlights. 

Off the pitch as many on here say Skolars are doing a good job in very tough circumstances- we have a healthy number of sponsors including for players, events like Capital Challenge and a strong community presence. 

1 hour ago, Londonfan said:

That sounds absolutely nothing at all like Hector.

10 hours ago, EssexRL said:

That’s rubbish. What’s the source? I’m involved with the club in a small way (hold some shares) and know the opposite is true. In fact I know how much they’ve ploughed into the club when no expectation of a return let alone a profit. They put extra in last year in anticipation of the Argyle money. 

An aspiring League 1 team wanted to purchase the club, operate out of Skolars but play a few games back in their home country. The figure wasn’t huge, but was approx £100k. Too much for the aspiring team. 

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 09:27, Toby Chopra said:

For the wider game, the most valuable thing Skolars provides is not its performance as a semi-pro team scrabbling around the lower half of L1, it's the community work it does providing an entry point into the sport for hundreds of young people in North London (a huge untapped demographic), and a pathway beyond into the higher professional clubs. 

I hope that whatever the Skolars' future is on the field, this vital pathway work continues. Covid fallout and the future TV deal will have a big impact on that, and who knows whether the current semi-pro L1 team is the best way to carry that out. 

How do you think that has been going of late ?

On 24/03/2020 at 13:46, Hemel Rugby League said:

Since their launch in 1981, Hemel have played home matches at three other grounds apart from Pennine Way. Anyone able to name them?

Sheffield, Dewsbury, Doncaster? (Wild guesses.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 24/03/2020 at 13:24, JM2010 said:

I applaud all the hard work that has gone in from the London clubs including Hemel, especially in regards to the community game.

I'd like to see pro/semi pro clubs in development areas having a more unified approach to development.  Could the Skolars and Broncos and possibly even Hemel follow the Newcastle approach and collectively build a London North junior and open age league.  If they worked together I'm sure they could help build up a strong community game in that area.

This is the most sensible idea, I've heard in a long time. We should be modelling what's happening in Newcastle, all over the country. 

On 24/03/2020 at 23:04, dealwithit said:

An aspiring League 1 team wanted to purchase the club, operate out of Skolars but play a few games back in their home country. The figure wasn’t huge, but was approx £100k. Too much for the aspiring team. 

Was this Red Star?

On 25/03/2020 at 21:28, Hemel Rugby League said:

Clue: Hemel were on the road to Wembley in a Challenge Cup fixture

For some reason I feel like they played a home tie at the ground of the “away” team due to weather. I also seem to think it was a Cumbrian team. 

1 hour ago, Budgie said:

Barnet Copthall? 94 Challenge Cup v Broncos

SPOT ON I remember seeing Bob Brown there hadn't seen him since around 1981 when Hemel played my old team Peckham (Sorry to remind you Bob if you are reading this) 70-0 Home win which certainly increased my goal kicking tally 13 that day:) LOL 

2 hours ago, Budgie said:

Barnet Copthall? 94 Challenge Cup v Broncos

That was an away match in the Regal Trophy.

Hemel's finest day when our 'A' team won the Southern Cup in a curtain-riser and we led London Broncos at half-time in the cup match. We were also locked out of our changing rooms at half time and had to stay on the pitch for the half time talk.

Archived