Big changes at London Skolars

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

That was an away match in the Regal Trophy.

Hemel's finest day when our 'A' team won the Southern Cup in a curtain-riser and we led London Broncos at half-time in the cup match. We were also locked out of our changing rooms at half time and had to stay on the pitch for the half time talk.

I thought that might have been Regal trophy.

was there ever a game at MK? I think I remember there were overtures from the MK corporation about a relocation at one point?

1 hour ago, Budgie said:

I thought that might have been Regal trophy.

was there ever a game at MK? I think I remember there were overtures from the MK corporation about a relocation at one point?

Never played a Home game there

But  around 93/94 the Milton Keynes Development Corporation did offer us a brand new stadium if we would re-locate.....but that's another story.

6 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

SPOT ON I remember seeing Bob Brown there hadn't seen him since around 1981 when Hemel played my old team Peckham (Sorry to remind you Bob if you are reading this) 70-0 Home win which certainly increased my goal kicking tally 13 that day:) LOL 

What happened to Peckham and Peckham Puma's they were two really great teams? 

Peckham finished around 1983 and then became Peckham Pumas which I think (Maybe I am wrong became South London)

Great memories remember playing Haydock (St Helens) in the BARLA cup we had a great second rower Geoff who was a gynecologist  at Guys we just used to call him DOC.

Doc was having a blinder scored a couple of tries making fantastic tackles he was all over the show midway through the second half the Haydock pack started to lose it and one took swing at Doc when a scrum broke up and shouted your a southern C---T DOC ? Doc who had rather a posh voice said HOW DID YOU KNOW YOUNG MAN LOL:)

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Peckham finished around 1983 and then became Peckham Pumas which I think (Maybe I am wrong became South London)

Great memories remember playing Haydock (St Helens) in the BARLA cup we had a great second rower Geoff who was a gynecologist  at Guys we just used to call him DOC.

Doc was having a blinder scored a couple of tries making fantastic tackles he was all over the show midway through the second half the Haydock pack started to lose it and one took swing at Doc when a scrum broke up and shouted your a southern C---T DOC ? Doc who had rather a posh voice said HOW DID YOU KNOW YOUNG MAN LOL:)

I can remember playing against Peckham Pumas at Herne Hill Stadium one day and being flogged 92-4, a record loss for Hemel. On another occasion, we returned the favour. They were a very youthful  product of the London Schools RL of the day run by Mick Smythe, Dave Part et all. They became South London under Mel Wibberley(who later was involved at Nottingham City in the National Conference League) and they very briefly joined the North West Counties League.

Those two need to be in the great RL photos thread.

Even the sound of Hemel v Peckham brings music to my ears.

Though had I known they'd dressed like Loiners I might not've been so supportive.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

We (West Bank) played at South London in 1986-87 winning 21 v 14. We had such a great time we invited them to Widnes for a friendly which I think was a 10 all draw played at Naughton Park.

They cut a swathe through Widnes that night.?

Interesting to see Wayne Millington coaching Peckham in the friendly as he was our lone try scorer in our 72 - 6 hammering by Whitehaven in September '86. We didn't mind that much as it was the first game in yet another of our (in)famous comebacks (and it was a nice day for a trip  to Cumbria as well). By the way he, and several of the team that day, were playing on amateur forms so it didn't stop them playing for their regular clubs in the London League,

Wasps played at Sudbury not Sunbury. London Irish played at Sunbury.

Easy mistake to make.

John Thaw and Dennis Waterman made the same mistake in  the Sweeney that was shown a few weeks ago.

There’s a good interview with Hector in LE this week in which he sets out the reasons for stepping down from the club including his family and the need to concentrate on his business. I think it makes very clear it’s not about the money

Had dealings with Hector for over 20 years (RL wise) and despite there being good and bad times, one thing I never thought he was in the game for was money ! (Well apart from losing it that is)

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Archived