away strips

As we have little to discuss and lots of time to fill I got to thinking about away strips.

When I was a lad I used to look forward to seeing the away teams in their club colours - the blue and yellow of Leeds, the white and red of Saints, the black and orange of Cas - you get my drift.  In many respects those colours helped to define the clubs and their brand image (assuming such a concept existed back when dinosaurs still roamed) for me.

Now I understand the commercial logic of an away strip but what I don't get is why are so many of them are variations of black rather than a reversal of the basic club colours?

Take Cas for example.  Home strip basically orange (or yellow/amber/gold) shirts, black shorts.  Very nice.  Very tigerey.  2020 away strip black with a grey v.  Why not make part of the v orange or even have orange shorts?  That way the club would be maintaining its core colour scheme (i.e. looking a bit like a TIGER) whilst not clashing with any opponents.

On the animal related theme I have never understood why Rochdale HORNETS wear red and blue rather than yellow and black.  At least Wath Brow get it right!

Club colours or variations on black - which do you prefer?

P.S. Apologies to any real black/grey tigers that are reading this post.  No offence intended - I just did not know you existed, but congratulations on your reading skills!

Good post, and one of my pet hates is clubs changing their "alternative" strips to another shade of grey/charcoal/black or a colour group similar to their "primary" strip., purple or dark pink seem to be the 'in thing' at the moment.

I use my club as an example, our "home" shirt is predominately claret, a deep shade of red, with gold,  our "away" kit is purple!, not much of a difference really.

I always preferred it when Huddersfield played in a change strip of a white kit with claret and gold trim or a reversal, so, a predominately gold kit with claret.

It annoys me when i see Hull for example in a black/grey away kit!

I've regurgitated this post from 4th February in the 2020 kits and sponsors thread.

I still don't get this modern practice of having a "2nd kit" that includes the same shade and colours as the main kit.

Wigan, red/white= red/black

Hull,black/white= black/purple

Salford, red/white= red/black

Castleford, yellow/black= orange/black

Huddersfield claret/gold=purple/red

Catalans, red/yellow= yellow/red

Toronto, black/white=white/black

there's only really Saints and Wire with what would traditionally be a "change kit", the rest all look like they will clash with most other clubs' kits.

strange.

As an Aussie I think it is sad to see the Super League clubs run around in irrelevant colours. It's a great chance to expand your brand and identity. 

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

I must admit I do like when clubs reverse colours for the away kit, but it can become a bit boring. For example I really liked when Leeds had pink and navy/black/grey away shirts for 3 seasons but I also like when Wigan go for blue and white hoops for their away kits. In British RL its almost essential to have an away shirt as there's not exactly a wide variety of home colours that there is for example in the NRL - we have at least half of Super League who have gone with a shirt that is at least 50% white for example. We appear to take the opposite approach to football for example where our default position is to wear the away shirt rather than the home when playing away. Perhaps there could be more clubs who go for more subtle away kits for example.

I think the major problem with all RL kits is the number of sponsors. We're not as bad as French RU where it can be a bit of a nightmare discerning who is who for the billboards they wear, but the way SL clubs plaster their kits with sponsors that often don't integrate well doesn't help. Hopefully we will see a shift in the coming years by the SL clubs under Elstone's direction.

That said, Leeds have had to play in our away shirt at home twice in only 4 home games this year. There clearly needs to be some sort of approval system by either the RFL or Super League to ensure home and away kits aren't too similar (both dark coloured for example). 

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Swinton played in a blue shirt with white vee, away was white shirts blue vee, just like this year, so supporters could always wear blue & White.

What happened when you played Halifax?

5 hours ago, DlEHARD said:

As an Aussie I think it is sad to see the Super League clubs run around in irrelevant colours. It's a great chance to expand your brand and identity. 

I agree with this - away colours should be the same 2/3 colours of the home jersey but just change which is the dominant colour. 

That said however, season in season out i'm gobsmacked with what Souths get away with doing.....

image.thumb.png.40651fc97d8d446b6773a2af5de36804.png

On 24/03/2020 at 05:17, wiggler said:

As we have little to discuss and lots of time to fill I got to thinking about away strips.

When I was a lad I used to look forward to seeing the away teams in their club colours - the blue and yellow of Leeds, the white and red of Saints, the black and orange of Cas - you get my drift.  In many respects those colours helped to define the clubs and their brand image (assuming such a concept existed back when dinosaurs still roamed) for me.

Now I understand the commercial logic of an away strip but what I don't get is why are so many of them are variations of black rather than a reversal of the basic club colours?

Take Cas for example.  Home strip basically orange (or yellow/amber/gold) shirts, black shorts.  Very nice.  Very tigerey.  2020 away strip black with a grey v.  Why not make part of the v orange or even have orange shorts?  That way the club would be maintaining its core colour scheme (i.e. looking a bit like a TIGER) whilst not clashing with any opponents.

On the animal related theme I have never understood why Rochdale HORNETS wear red and blue rather than yellow and black.  At least Wath Brow get it right!

Club colours or variations on black - which do you prefer?

P.S. Apologies to any real black/grey tigers that are reading this post.  No offence intended - I just did not know you existed, but congratulations on your reading skills!

Club colours in an alternate arrangement, just as is done in Australia and in all major North American sports.  Why any of their fans would pay for jerseys in some other colours is utterly beyond me.

12 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Club colours in an alternate arrangement, just as is done in Australia and in all major North American sports.  Why any of their fans would pay for jerseys in some other colours is utterly beyond me.

I think clubs can have traditional away kits distinct from their home colours and there's a number of teams that do in the UK and Europe. For example Arsenal traditionally have Yellow and Blue as away colours for example, Liverpool white, Barcelona often have had a Red and Yellow Catalan themed kit, in RL Wigan and Saints have often had blue coloured kits. A lot of clubs in most sports have moved away from traditional away colours due to a desire to sell more kits - and in all seriousness the kit market is slightly different to NA and Australia, whereby sponsorship and prices of kits are less or more of an issue.

Archived