And on this day 24th March (1979).another top win.

Chrome Dome

24th March 1979..Venue - Headingley Stadium, Leeds.....Leeds 11 v Workington Town 31..(Leeds finished 4th in table).

Town scorers :   Tries - I.Wright 3, Walker 2, Banks 1, MacCorquodale 1.

Goals - MacCorquodale 5.

Town team :  Charlton, Collister, Risman, I.Wright, Corky, Rudd, Walker, Beverley, A.Banks, P.Gorley, L.Gorley, Hartley, W.Pattinson.

**If my memory serves me well I think Town were 'motivated' in this one by what had happened to John Burke in the early season reverse fixture on Sep 3rd 1978.

1 hour ago, Chrome Dome said:

24th March 1979..Venue - Headingley Stadium, Leeds.....Leeds 11 v Workington Town 31..(Leeds finished 4th in table).

Goals - MacCorquodale 5.

Town team :  Charlton, Collister, Risman, I.Wright, Corky, Rudd, Walker, Beverley, A.Banks, P.Gorley, L.Gorley, Hartley, W.Pattinson.

**If my memory serves me well I think Town were 'motivated' in this one by what had happened to John Burke in the early season reverse fixture on Sep 3rd 1978.

Love reading these. Keep them coming

From memory, I think me and my father were watching Grandstand at the time, (must have been on a Saturday then) and when the score came through we couldn't believe it. One of their finest wins in the top division

31 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

From memory, I think me and my father were watching Grandstand at the time, (must have been on a Saturday then) and when the score came through we couldn't believe it. One of their finest wins in the top division

Yes it was a Saturday...and as I hinted earlier Town were indeed fired up for this one while regarding the John Burke situation.....

47 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

Was playing for the Zebras at Whitehaven, in the bar after the game we were all giving it large when the the score came up on grandstand. ??

Might have played in that game myself mate! Can remember playing up on the tops at bransty when town were in the Lancashire cup final in 78 coming off thinking they’d won only to be told Widnes had scored at the death. Didn’t stay for too many pints in Whitehaven that night.

11 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

Goals - MacCorquodale 5.

Was at the game with my dad, 14yrs old, great day and great team great memories, UTT

No Doubt we were fired up for this one , and it just proved what the Team at that time could do  when their attitude was right . I still look back at the late 70`s and still feel we should have won more trophies with the Team we had i still think we under achieved . The Quarter Final defeat at home to Blackpool in the Players No 6 was a particular example of a Team just thinking it could turn up and a win was a given .As was Smiler Allen scoring from acting half near the line , a thing he used to do for us every week .Then again i used to know a few of the players of those years and they used to say  that they were up against it when playing away as they more often than not had to beat the ref as well . ......Knew a few of the Blackpool Team as well and they said the same thing .

Archived