Sign in to follow this  
Wakefield Ram

Greatest players - your top three full backs

Given all the depressing news, thought I'd kick off some debate. So rather than just pick your best ever Rams team, we could have a pointless but interesting debate on the best players in every position. Been supporting the Rams since 1974, so here's my top three full-backs

1. Nathan Graham - all round game, attack, defend and kick. Remember him making his debut at 16 scoring a try and kicking a goal.

2. John Langley - bought from Leeds, had a proper 70s handlebar moustache, never missed a tackle. 

3. Don Richardson - late 70s early 80s. Mr Dependable, never missed a tackle but neither do I remember him passing the ball much. Due to injuries, he had a spell at scrum-half.

Ones I omitted, Adrian Rushton , only cos I didn't see him play much. Bernard Gray, John Maloney, Nathan Batty who scored a few length of the field kick returns. 

Sure there's plenty of others

I remember Daren Coen playing at FB, I think he came from Doncaster with a Scrum Half (Can't remember his name) 

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Yes remember him. I'm sure he played for Castleford at some stage. Think he featured in some BBC 100 Top Tries video being sidestepped by James Leuluaie in a Challenge Cup semi-final v Hull at Elland Road. Strange the things you remember.

• Like 1

Don't forget Jeff Grayshon.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Don't forget Jeff Grayshon.

What, the one kneed Batley prop?

For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name he writes not if you won or lost but how you played the game.

I know he wasn't with us for ages but enjoyed Darren Rogers at FB.  Pretty solid with the kicks, good positionally and exciting when he got the ball.

Don Richardson, Darren Coen and Nathan Graham were all solid.

• Like 1

Bob Hirst .. yes 60s was like a pocket rocket!!  Great under the high ball superb tackler ...  ran hard and low .. and used to take the long range penalty goal kicks loads of power .. suspect accuracy!!  You just felt safe when he was one on one!! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

Great under the high ball, superb tackler ...  You just felt safe when he was one on one!! 

To be honest thats pretty much how I feel with the current incumbent.  Maybe in a few years time we will be thinking of  him as one of the greats?

• Like 2

Bob Hirst and Don Richardson both started as half backs and yes, Dog Faced Gremlin, Jeff Grayshon did start his career at full back. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

For me Don Richardson and Nathan Graham. I did see Langley play but he never seemed to be a standout like the Bates bros or the Stephensons in the classic championship team. 

Don Richardson number 1 for me, I remember him scoring a belter against Swinton on YTVs Scrumdown programme, had to get permission to stop up and watch it on the Monday night after news at ten,no videos then.

Nathan Graham  second for me,great player at such a young age,glad he came back to us after his spell at the Bulls.

John Langley third, I was very young when he played,but remember standing behind the posts watching him and not much getting past.

Mentions to Darren Coen, Josh Gudsak and Jonny Moore, now Jonny wasn't much of a tackler but he had great pace and the way the game is played now he would have been a hand full.

For a short spell we had a full back called Keith Dixon in the early 00’s. Had a great kicking game. I think we signed him from Keighley. 

• Like 1

rambo.gif

5 hours ago, Ramboy said:

and Jonny Moore, now Jonny wasn't much of a tackler but he had great pace and the way the game is played now he would have been a hand full.

It would only have taken Jonny 5 seconds to run across our narrow pitch.....width-ways...

Jonny Moore.....now he was quick! Remember him scoring a hat trick against York I think in the last game of the season we were relegated from First Division in 1986 - this could be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

1 minute ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Jonny Moore.....now he was quick! Remember him scoring a hat trick against York I think in the last game of the season we were relegated from First Division in 1986 - this could be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

You are right,we relegated them by winning the game.

In fact I do remember Don Richardson missing a tackle once. It was against Workington and one of the rampaging Gorley brothers broke through and though Don tackled his legs, Gorley managed to burst through to score by the posts downhill. Guessing 1977/78? Shows how rare a Don Richardson missed tackle was that I remember it.