Greatest players - your top three full backs

Wakefield Ram

Given all the depressing news, thought I'd kick off some debate. So rather than just pick your best ever Rams team, we could have a pointless but interesting debate on the best players in every position. Been supporting the Rams since 1974, so here's my top three full-backs

1. Nathan Graham - all round game, attack, defend and kick. Remember him making his debut at 16 scoring a try and kicking a goal.

2. John Langley - bought from Leeds, had a proper 70s handlebar moustache, never missed a tackle. 

3. Don Richardson - late 70s early 80s. Mr Dependable, never missed a tackle but neither do I remember him passing the ball much. Due to injuries, he had a spell at scrum-half.

Ones I omitted, Adrian Rushton , only cos I didn't see him play much. Bernard Gray, John Maloney, Nathan Batty who scored a few length of the field kick returns. 

Sure there's plenty of others

I know he wasn't with us for ages but enjoyed Darren Rogers at FB.  Pretty solid with the kicks, good positionally and exciting when he got the ball.

Don Richardson, Darren Coen and Nathan Graham were all solid.

3 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

Great under the high ball, superb tackler ...  You just felt safe when he was one on one!! 

To be honest thats pretty much how I feel with the current incumbent.  Maybe in a few years time we will be thinking of  him as one of the greats?

Don Richardson number 1 for me, I remember him scoring a belter against Swinton on YTVs Scrumdown programme, had to get permission to stop up and watch it on the Monday night after news at ten,no videos then.

Nathan Graham  second for me,great player at such a young age,glad he came back to us after his spell at the Bulls.

John Langley third, I was very young when he played,but remember standing behind the posts watching him and not much getting past.

Mentions to Darren Coen, Josh Gudsak and Jonny Moore, now Jonny wasn't much of a tackler but he had great pace and the way the game is played now he would have been a hand full.

5 hours ago, Ramboy said:

and Jonny Moore, now Jonny wasn't much of a tackler but he had great pace and the way the game is played now he would have been a hand full.

It would only have taken Jonny 5 seconds to run across our narrow pitch.....width-ways...

1 minute ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Jonny Moore.....now he was quick! Remember him scoring a hat trick against York I think in the last game of the season we were relegated from First Division in 1986 - this could be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

You are right,we relegated them by winning the game.

In fact I do remember Don Richardson missing a tackle once. It was against Workington and one of the rampaging Gorley brothers broke through and though Don tackled his legs, Gorley managed to burst through to score by the posts downhill. Guessing 1977/78? Shows how rare a Don Richardson missed tackle was that I remember it.

Archived