Greatest players - your top three full backs

Wakefield Ram

Watched some very old and very poor quality  YouTube videos of Eddie Rombo tries last night.  The one he scored against Scarborough on debut is on one of them if you can recognise it.  Maybe we could do wingers when we’ve done with full backs?

5 hours ago, Burnley Ram said:

If I remember correctly  Trevor  Bedford  took over the full back

position from Bob Hirst. Trevor  was later transferred  to Castleford 

Funny how the mind plays tricks on us as I thought the reverse, Bob Hirst took over from Trevor Bedford. I don’t recall Johnny Moore playing at full back, only as a winger, the sidewinder and almost untouchable - going across the pitch!

I am giving my favourite full back quite some thought before posting as we have produced some very good full backs (and hookers).

Legs, Dews, Legs.

1 hour ago, Ramboy said:

Johnny took over when Don Richardson moved up to scrum half in our last season in the old division 1.

Thanks for that. Like others, Don Richardson started as a half back, as did Bob Hirst and John Hegarty was, I think, originally a stand off. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

After some thought, my choice of full back is:

1 Ken Bosworth 

2 Trevor Bedford

3 Adrian Rushton

others in contention: Bob Hirst, Jimmy Ledgard, Bert Cook  

Ken Bosworth because he was the first I could really recall, although I did see Jimmy Ledgard (after his return from Leigh and NOT the first time he played for us!).

Legs, Dews, Legs.

On 28/03/2020 at 17:35, Ramboy said:

Johnny took over when Don Richardson moved up to scrum half in our last season in the old division 1.

He scored 2 against Saints in the re arranged challenge cup game we played at headingley that year, was on Look North. He also scored a brilliant one going up the slope the following season against Swinton.

14 hours ago, MrBungle said:

He scored 2 against Saints in the re arranged challenge cup game we played at headingley that year, was on Look North. He also scored a brilliant one going up the slope the following season against Swinton.

I'd forgotten about that cup match at Headingley, we were brilliant that night and were very unlucky to lose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2020 at 20:47, NickD said:

I know he wasn't with us for ages but enjoyed Darren Rogers at FB.  Pretty solid with the kicks, good positionally and exciting when he got the ball.

Don Richardson, Darren Coen and Nathan Graham were all solid.

In order for WR

1. Nathan Graham

2.  Darren Rodgers

3.  Don Richardson

Archived