Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all

 

If this season does get completed it will be the 35th of the National League/National Conference and I am looking to write the history of this. I have already collected much information but am struggling with information for certain clubs on their time in the said league. I am missing for information for Greetland All Rounders, Knottingley, British Areospace, and Redhill. I would also like info on Chorley Borough, Blackpool Gladiators, Nottingham City and Hemel Hempstead. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Cheers Mark Chestney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I have programmes for all these 

 

what are you looking for as can help with ground addresses etc and possibly dates for the seasons they were members but nothing on players

 

 Celtic Rooster will have much much more if he looks in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have ground ADDRESSES.  Redhill  Carlyle road Airedale    Greetland Spring rock Rochdale road greetland   Knottingley Kellingley welfare playing fields   British Aerospace Lancaster club Failsworth lodge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2020 at 12:48, Mark Chestney said:

Hi all

 

If this season does get completed it will be the 35th of the National League/National Conference and I am looking to write the history of this. I have already collected much information but am struggling with information for certain clubs on their time in the said league. I am missing for information for Greetland All Rounders, Knottingley, British Areospace, and Redhill. I would also like info on Chorley Borough, Blackpool Gladiators, Nottingham City and Hemel Hempstead. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Cheers Mark Chestney

In his 2002 autobiography, Memoirs of a Blood and Thunder Coach, Maurice Bamford devotes the best part of two pages to his time coaching Greetland. The village's collective memory of Bamford is that he almost bankrupted All Rounders. Here's why. Bamford says: "Ten good Aussies and Kiwis came to me at Greetland in about four weeks. We were up and running. Local teams who considered Greetland a pushover suddenly came up against a fit, fast and skilful side."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2020 at 12:48, Mark Chestney said:

Hi all

 

If this season does get completed it will be the 35th of the National League/National Conference and I am looking to write the history of this. I have already collected much information but am struggling with information for certain clubs on their time in the said league. I am missing for information for Greetland All Rounders, Knottingley, British Areospace, and Redhill. I would also like info on Chorley Borough, Blackpool Gladiators, Nottingham City and Hemel Hempstead. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Cheers Mark Chestney

There's a few copies of the 5th anniversary brochure out there in the heartlands.

I have read it, a long time ago, but not seen one for a few years.

Trevor Hunt must have one to lend you if you contact him i think he compiled it?

Some info here, mostly accurate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_National_Conference_League

 


"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . .  . . . Which one did you perform? "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What sort of info do you want on the clubs you have mentioned Mark? I visited most of them, have programmes involving all of them and played at British Aerospace in a friendly. A friend of mine - Stewart Williams (ex Salford & Barrow) coached Chorley Borough in the first season in the NCL. I am Kenny Roberts by the way if you want to e-mail me. I posted my old National league brochures to you today 1st class.

 

Edited by Celtic Roosters
add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go on Google Earth and type in North Manchester Rugby club I think it shows where British Aerospace used to play. Its just off Victoria Avenue. I can only assume that North Manchester RUFC took over the ground but I could be wrong. The British Aerospace factory is only a few hundred yards away.


:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 


 


I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW


    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to add. I hope that you are keeping well and safe Kenny.


:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 


 


I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW


    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Big Doug said:

If you go on Google Earth and type in North Manchester Rugby club I think it shows where British Aerospace used to play. Its just off Victoria Avenue. I can only assume that North Manchester RUFC took over the ground but I could be wrong. The British Aerospace factory is only a few hundred yards away.

Big Doug

You’re right to say Manchester RFU is on Victoria Ave, but BAe played there games at the Lancaster club bottom of Broadway. When Oldham MBC bought the land there was a condition that they found the football team a ground. They purchased Chamber Colliery on Whitebank Road and that’s where Oldham RLFC play their League 1 games. Unfortunately it isn’t up to Championship standards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/04/2020 at 09:14, Mr Smeaton said:

Big Doug

You’re right to say Manchester RFU is on Victoria Ave, but BAe played there games at the Lancaster club bottom of Broadway. When Oldham MBC bought the land there was a condition that they found the football team a ground. They purchased Chamber Colliery on Whitebank Road and that’s where Oldham RLFC play their League 1 games. Unfortunately it isn’t up to Championship standards 

Actually British Aerospace DID play some of their first matches at the ground on Victoria Avenue East (which is actually in Moston and was then known as the Bright-Grayson Leisure Centre) but that was when they first entered the Pennine League. They then switched to the ground at the Lancaster Club on Broadway (an extensive area of land owned by the Bae company) for when they moved into the National Conference.

The whole organisation of the rugby team was sponsored by Bae and provided probably the best facilities of any amateur RL club (including clubhouse, after-match meal (ie: not just the usual pie and peas but a full meal), and free transport to away games). It was the Bae company who encouraged the team to enter the National Conference, I think with the hope that those facilities might attract some players. However, that never materialised and, after a couple of years of really then being out of their depth, the team folded. 

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vaguely remember playing against British Aerospace  second team around 1990 for a Halifax pub side.I remember they had  fantastic facilities including huge changing rooms.We were used to getting changed in little sheds sometimes with no showers in the Pennine League and then we got treated to a meal which was totally opposite to Museum at nearby Moston where we got a cold Fish sandwich!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, neutralfan said:

I vaguely remember playing against British Aerospace  second team around 1990 for a Halifax pub side.I remember they had  fantastic facilities including huge changing rooms.We were used to getting changed in little sheds sometimes with no showers in the Pennine League and then we got treated to a meal which was totally opposite to Museum at nearby Moston where we got a cold Fish sandwich!

Yes, that would be when they played in the Pennine League but even then everything at Bae was provided by the company - and they also did the same any of the social activities their staff were involved with ... football, hockey, chess, snooker. Anything that was needed was provided. The firm also didn't bother if players didn't actually work at Bae; as long as you were representing the company everything was provided. I could never understand why more players didn't go there but I suppose a lot was down to having loyalty for the club they were already with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2020 at 12:48, Mark Chestney said:

Hi all

If this season does get completed it will be the 35th of the National League/National Conference and I am looking to write the history of this. I have already collected much information but am struggling with information for certain clubs on their time in the said league. I am missing for information for Greetland All Rounders, Knottingley, British Areospace, and Redhill. I would also like info on Chorley Borough, Blackpool Gladiators, Nottingham City and Hemel Hempstead. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Cheers Mark Chestney

Not knowing what information you have already got or what you are looking for then I suppose you might have already seen this ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_National_Conference_League

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...