A very special Fev Team

fevnut

fevnut has put together a Fev team spanning our history since 1921. There is something particularly significant about these players. The question is - Can you work out why they were selected? What is it that is special about these players?

Take a look at this team by clicking on the link below

https://fevblog452.blogspot.com/2020/03/a-fev-team-through-ages.html

fevnut.png

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

A team effort between me and Roversspud came up with the idea that these players might be record holders in terms of appearances at their individual positions?

Good guess but would have thought  don played more than deryck

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

He's got one?

I used to be schizophrenic but I'm now in two minds.........

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

from wiki 

sid denton  349  0 349

ken kellet 351 7 358    steve quinn  383  10 393   jack hirst 278 0 278       jim denton  440 0 440

joe mullaney 319 0 319                        deryck fox 350 3 353

earnest barraclough  435  0 435         willis fawley  369  2  371           stuart dickens  372 49   421                           

peter smith 388 31 419                          george taylor   293 0 293

cliff lambert 376 0 376

jandy bostock 81    danny evens 76    james houston  80     jack ormondroyd ?

it doesn't give all jacks games says  just 21  but surprised with his inclusion neil lowe got 61 subs

Freddie Miller, Don  Fox, Steve Evans. All unique in their play. If Freddie had been around now he would be kicking 40/20's by the bucketful. A unique kicker of the ball. Don could act as a forward or a half back. Whatever the situation he adapted to it. Steve Evans saw gaps where nobody else saw them. They would be in my team for their  individual excellence.

Chris, How many games did Cliff Lambert play in total? I started watching Rovers in 1960 and he was playing second row then, until he retired I think?

On 26/03/2020 at 20:12, Steve Slater said:

Chris, How many games did Cliff Lambert play in total? I started watching Rovers in 1960 and he was playing second row then, until he retired I think?

On 26/03/2020 at 20:12, Steve Slater said:

so my post listing all the players games must have passed you by?

On 24/03/2020 at 22:42, TheYoungBaron said:

This is tough. Each time I think of a solution, one of the players doesn't fit the remit. When will you put us out of our misery?

Several people realised. It is the most appearances in those positions. Over the next weeks we will be posting the Top 10 in each position on the fevnut's blog.

2 minutes ago, fevnut said:

That's their total appearances, not the ones in particular positions!

the don must beat deryck

On 25/03/2020 at 12:44, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think he did play more games than Deryck, but only by a small number I think, and Don played a chunk of games at loose forward and the odd one at centre too. So Deryck, who always played scrum half, might have more games in that position.

By Don do you mean Don Fox. I can't remember him playing out of position for the Rovers. He was a scrum half. I was in Egypt for over 2 years National service 1952/1954 and back in 1956 for the Suez invasion. Did he play centre and loose forward then? I played against him in Featherstone Rovers under 18's when he played for Sharlston even in those days he was a dedicated scrum half. I remember him playing as a forward for Trinity later in his career.

2 hours ago, jamescolin said:

By Don do you mean Don Fox. I can't remember him playing out of position for the Rovers. He was a scrum half. I was in Egypt for over 2 years National service 1952/1954 and back in 1956 for the Suez invasion. Did he play centre and loose forward then? I played against him in Featherstone Rovers under 18's when he played for Sharlston even in those days he was a dedicated scrum half. I remember him playing as a forward for Trinity later in his career.

Don played scrum half from Sept 1953 to Sept 1963 then moved to loose forward to enable Carl Dooler to play 7.Don was picked to play 13 for Great Britain against the Aussies only six games after switching.As you know he was some Rugby League player.

49 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Don played scrum half from Sept 1953 to Sept 1963 then moved to loose forward to enable Carl Dooler to play 7.Don was picked to play 13 for Great Britain against the Aussies only six games after switching.As you know he was some Rugby League player.

Thanks for that info. After all these years I had obviously forgotten. What I do remember is what a great player he was.

6 hours ago, POR said:

so my post listing all the players games must have passed you by?

That post suggests he played 376 games, all at loose forward, which is wrong. He was playing second row from at least 1960 onwards after Colin Clift came in from Halifax to play 14 (loose forward, rovers didn't use the 13 shirt back then due to superstition).

Archived