Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I see that RFL is trying to keep our spirits up with a best ever try contest.  Fair play for that.

My best ever try does not make it on to the list - probably because it is Australian.

Mark Coyne scoring in the dying seconds of the 1st state of origin match 1994 still does it for me - it won the match against fantastic opposition away from home. 

Here is what Wikipedia has to say;

"For 75 minutes New South Wales were the better side and led 12-4 as a trickle of spectators began to make an early exit to beat the traffic. Those that left missed one of the greatest rugby league miracles of all time. With five minutes to go Willie Carne scored for Queensland reaching over his head to take a pass from centre Mark Coyne. Maroons captain Mal Meninga kicked the conversion but the Blues defence rallied from the kick-off and they kept the Queenslanders pinned in their own quarter as the clock ticked down.

With 60 seconds remaining and trailing 12-10 Queensland launched one last attacking wave from deep inside their own half. Halfback Allan Langer initiated the play, firing a long ball to Kevin Walters. The five-eighth passed to Willie Carne, whose overhead pass released Steve Renouf. The Test centre raced up-field as suddenly the tension rose.

The Maroons threw a rapid-fire series of chain passes spanning the breadth of the SFS. The Blues' defence gathered in numbers but as each Queensland player met a tackler he would find another man at his outside shoulder. Renouf, Michael Hancock, Darren Smith, Langer and Mal Meninga all handled and suddenly Mark Coyne was accepting a pass metres out as Brad Fittler and Ricky Stuart tried in vain to bring Coyne down only to see him slide to the line, reach out and score.

Television commentator Ray Warren famously exclaimed, "That's not a try—that's a miracle!" Fittler buried his head in the turf, Stuart in frustration kicked the corner post sky-high and the New South Wales crowd were plunged into deathly silence with 32 seconds left on the clock and the game gone."

Most of you reading this will probably have seen it but if you haven't had that pleasure you can find it on YouTube.  It still make the hair rise on the back of my neck, especially with the great commentary from Warren, Vautin and Sterling.  Absolute magic.

Lets hope we see one just as good and just as timely from England in next year's World Cup Final.  Wouldn't that be a joy to behold?

Edited by wiggler
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wide to West, still great to watch ( along with Eddie's commentary) all these years later and I'm not even a Saints fan.

For a match I was at the GB win over the Aussies in Sydney in the 2006 Tri Nations by Gareth Raynor- Great breakaway by long and it ended up with GB players queuing up to score in the corner and against the Aussies in their own backyard it was great to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favourites is the one by Mick Smith at Wembley 1973 v Bradford Northern (a proper name imo), it was on the credits of Granstand for a few years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg Inglis scored a couple against the Broncos that only he could score.  Strength, step, speed and stamina. 

I could never tire of watching play and in my opinion, no one comes close.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hullfan said:

Impossible to get the best try, it's a matter of opinion 

I think that's the point of the thread marra.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ellery Hanley for Bradford Northern in the semi final of the cup against Featherstone. Absolute brilliance even though he finished on the losing side

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that RL only began in 1990. No tries before then merit a mention.

I would have thought that Cive Sullivan's try in 1972 was worth a look.

  • Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garry Schofield for Great Britain against Australia second test in 1984.  At 5 minutes 50 seconds in this video.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Ellery Hanley for Bradford Northern in the semi final of the cup against Featherstone. Absolute brilliance even though he finished on the losing side

I was going to post this one myself, he was fairly unknown to me at the time but I was impressed by the way he shrugged off tackle after tackle, one of the best tries I have seen. Luckily the Featherstone lads worked out that you couldn't tackle him from his waist up and employed the 'can't go without his legs ' approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are we quantifying best try we ever saw? I've seen some crackers by internationals against part timers in cup games so I think the standard and importance of the game counts for a lot.

Individual Tries

- Offiah at Wembley

- Gary Connelly scored a good one against fev that got try of the season I think in 1989/90 or some time around then

- Hanley v Fev that's been mentioned

- Burrow grand final 

Team Tries

- Wide to West 

- Gb v Aus 2006

- that one that NZ warriors scored the other year when the hooker caught a bomb and did a mid air somersault. That try was unreal. 


Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take your pick of these by Jonathan Davies, going back to 1993....and doesn't include his incredible try v Australia at Wembley. The video also starts appropriate to Rugby League Club video promotionals with the worst type of soundtrack! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting this thread on was worth it just to see these effort once more.

It does say TGG on the tin mind.


RL1.JPG.6a10be03c5528650e188f078de012540.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Gregory’s try in the third test at the SFS in 1988,set up by a beauty stiff arm & pass from Andy Gregory and with greats Pearce & Lewis chasing him forlornly down the park.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomas Bosc. When he kicked ahead twice to score. Great skill.

Schofields interception try versus Cas in the 1988 Yorkshire Cup Final.

Offiah beating Wigan to score in the corner, Championship decider 1989.

Jonathan Davies v Nottingham. End to end!

Andy Curried beating seven men to score . Was in an A Team game, but I've never forgotten it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Mike Gregory’s try in the third test at the SFS in 1988,set up by a beauty stiff arm & pass from Andy Gregory and with greats Pearce & Lewis chasing him forlornly down the park.

That get’s my vote. Mike was a good mate of mine, and that try was unbelievable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice thing is that rugby league throws up sensational skill almost every week and we as fans become a bit blasé about it ... 

my favourite tries we’re those I scored ?

against

Normanton for Castle ARLFC

Barnsley for Castle ARLFC

and
Ryhill for Horbury Woolpack RLFC

 

sorry video cameras didn’t exist then....but they were very good! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Lydons Wembley try was always one of my favourites. A special mention for Tommy Martyn’s no look pass try (cant Remember who too) against Wigan. Which just got better and better everytime you watched it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can only remember 21st century for me but 2 which stand out a mile are wide to west and Burrow for me in SL. 

Matt Duftys try against Paramatta last season was one of the best team tries I've seen for a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Mike Gregory’s try in the third test at the SFS in 1988,set up by a beauty stiff arm & pass from Andy Gregory and with greats Pearce & Lewis chasing him forlornly down the park.

Great try. Even better I was in the ground to see it, with not too many other folk, sadly.

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wollongong said:

Nice thing is that rugby league throws up sensational skill almost every week and we as fans become a bit blasé about it ... 

my favourite tries we’re those I scored ?

against

Normanton for Castle ARLFC

Barnsley for Castle ARLFC

and
Ryhill for Horbury Woolpack RLFC

 

sorry video cameras didn’t exist then....but they were very good! 

80m every one no doubt?


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, wiggler said:

I see that RFL is trying to keep our spirits up with a best ever try contest.  Fair play for that.

My best ever try does not make it on to the list - probably because it is Australian.

Mark Coyne scoring in the dying seconds of the 1st state of origin match 1994 still does it for me - it won the match against fantastic opposition away from home. 

Here is what Wikipedia has to say;

"For 75 minutes New South Wales were the better side and led 12-4 as a trickle of spectators began to make an early exit to beat the traffic. Those that left missed one of the greatest rugby league miracles of all time. With five minutes to go Willie Carne scored for Queensland reaching over his head to take a pass from centre Mark Coyne. Maroons captain Mal Meninga kicked the conversion but the Blues defence rallied from the kick-off and they kept the Queenslanders pinned in their own quarter as the clock ticked down.

With 60 seconds remaining and trailing 12-10 Queensland launched one last attacking wave from deep inside their own half. Halfback Allan Langer initiated the play, firing a long ball to Kevin Walters. The five-eighth passed to Willie Carne, whose overhead pass released Steve Renouf. The Test centre raced up-field as suddenly the tension rose.

The Maroons threw a rapid-fire series of chain passes spanning the breadth of the SFS. The Blues' defence gathered in numbers but as each Queensland player met a tackler he would find another man at his outside shoulder. Renouf, Michael Hancock, Darren Smith, Langer and Mal Meninga all handled and suddenly Mark Coyne was accepting a pass metres out as Brad Fittler and Ricky Stuart tried in vain to bring Coyne down only to see him slide to the line, reach out and score.

Television commentator Ray Warren famously exclaimed, "That's not a try—that's a miracle!" Fittler buried his head in the turf, Stuart in frustration kicked the corner post sky-high and the New South Wales crowd were plunged into deathly silence with 32 seconds left on the clock and the game gone."

Most of you reading this will probably have seen it but if you haven't had that pleasure you can find it on YouTube.  It still make the hair rise on the back of my neck, especially with the great commentary from Warren, Vautin and Sterling.  Absolute magic.

Lets hope we see one just as good and just as timely from England in next year's World Cup Final.  Wouldn't that be a joy to behold?

 

 

I always liked this one.

And this one before Hayne turned into a Knobx

 

Edited by Allora
  • Like 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm partisan so of the list the Rob Burrow Grand Final try is my no. 1.

But this is probably my favourite try; the commentary is great, one of Ray's finer moments.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...