best try ever

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

80m every one no doubt?

I do remember one game in Horbury... I scored one 60 meter try up the hill... then about three minutes later took an interception on my own line... 

I made about 80 meters before my legs gave out.... and got tackled... should have done more training I guess???

Always had a soft spot for the end-to-end, corner-to-corner team try GB scored against the Kiwis (22-24) in the first Headingley Test of October 1985. You remember the one: Des Drummond, penned in the right corner, got the move started with dazzling footwork; Ellery Hanley took it on down the left flank; then finished with an inside overhead pass to scorer Joe Lydon. I watched that game on the Beeb, the other two live. Picked the wrong one to miss!

Nice little write-up here:

http://rugbyleaguelife.blogspot.com/2015/10/1985-great-britain-v-new-zealand-my.html

22 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Ellery Hanley for Bradford Northern in the semi final of the cup against Featherstone. Absolute brilliance even though he finished on the losing side

That was a brilliant try and glad it didn't win Northern the game, it was worthy of winning most matches. 

3 hours ago, M j M said:

I'm partisan so of the list the Rob Burrow Grand Final try is my no. 1.

But this is probably my favourite try; the commentary is great, one of Ray's finer moments.

Glad we had the sense to at least keep him near the corner. 

5 hours ago, M j M said:

I'm partisan so of the list the Rob Burrow Grand Final try is my no. 1.

But this is probably my favourite try; the commentary is great, one of Ray's finer moments.

I  want remember the context but I said on here a little while back that Hanley wouldn't score that try today as fitness and cover defences are better and more defenders would track him down.

I would like to officially retract that... watching this super human effort I am reminded again just how good Hanley was. The best player I ever saw.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Johnny,

I was there with my wife in Sydney 1988 for Mike Gregorys try. A never forgotten moment and also the day I was introduced to my boyhood hero Jack McLean. He flew over from N.Z. and Trevor Foster who was with us introduced me to him.What amazed me was his size,he was actually smaller than me but looked like a giant to me in the early 1950,s

Schofields try in the corner v Australia 1984 tour.

I'm pretty sure it won try of the decade in the 80's.

Not bad for an 18yr old. Like him or loathe him he was a rare talent.

I'm glad i was around to watch him, Ellery and Offiah.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

13 hours ago, jacksy said:

Schofields try in the corner v Australia 1984 tour.

I'm pretty sure it won try of the decade in the 80's.

Not bad for an 18yr old. Like him or loathe him he was a rare talent.

I'm glad i was around to watch him, Ellery and Offiah.

That was mine as well. For those who haven't seen it, it is in the video I posted on page 1.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 24/03/2020 at 19:36, Dunbar said:

Garry Schofield for Great Britain against Australia second test in 1984.  At 5 minutes 50 seconds in this video.

Thanks for that, he was very good as a centre, but one of the greats at No6, we have not had one since to come any where near him for our International  team.

4 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I can’t watch that, the soundtrack is just awful.

I agree. I didn't watch it all... I just could find a stand alone video of the try I mentioned.

That's why I posted the time in video for the try.

55 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Best try ever? 

Theres only 1 isn't there 

Aaand its wide to west......

Best try ever, What does that mean?

If it's the one to be most remembered then for me it's the one that hurts the most - bloody Tommy Martyn scoring the last ever try at Central Park when Wigan had butchered that lot from over the Hill......

On 25/03/2020 at 00:45, Wollongong said:

Nice thing is that rugby league throws up sensational skill almost every week and we as fans become a bit blasé about it ... 

Taking things for granted may be a thing of the past for a few years to come, but this post was on the money

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Queensland's match-winning try in Game 1 of the 1994 Origin series is as good a try as there can be. Given the calibre of player involved (on both sides) and the match situation, rugby league doesn't get better. "Renouf down the touchline..." as a kid supporting Brisbane and QLD, those were the words you wanted to hear!

Archived