best try ever

4 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Queensland's match-winning try in Game 1 of the 1994 Origin series is as good a try as there can be. Given the calibre of player involved (on both sides) and the match situation, rugby league doesn't get better. "Renouf down the touchline..." as a kid supporting Brisbane and QLD, those were the words you wanted to hear!

Clear off - get on your own forum!!

?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/03/2020 at 08:01, Harry Stottle said:

Off side a mile and I am a neutral Lancashire lad who was just observing, shoukd never have been given.

You've been reeled in there mate.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

On 24/03/2020 at 19:30, Blind side johnny said:

It appears that RL only began in 1990. No tries before then merit a mention.

I would have thought that Cive Sullivan's try in 1972 was worth a look.

It just reflects the average age of the people on here marra.

The best ever try could have been scored in 1921 but not many people who post on here will have seen it.

Same with any sport - best ever Soccer player isnt Messi - Its Maradona by a mile ..........but someone older may say Pele, or Best or Finney.

Ok some golden oldies

- Vollenhoven Wembley v wigan

- Barry ledger 1985 premiership final v Hull kr

- Lydon x 2 Widnes v Wigan at Wembley 

- Wigan from behind posts cross code challenge playing union Craig Murdoch ?

- Sullivan v Australia   “Can he go ?”

- Sheffield Eagles beating Wigan at Wembley- can’t remember who but joyous!!!!!’

As a Wigan supporter I could obviously list several which could be classed as the greatest. However, and as respect to one of THE best wingers I ever saw, I would offer a try scored by Tom van Vollenhoven in the 1958-59 Championship Final against Hunslet. Apparently there is no film footage of this try but there used to be a framed series of photos showing the try from start to finish in the Park Hotel in Wigan. He went full length of the field beating several players and scored behind the posts. It was a vital try in the context of the game as there was not much in it at the time. St.Helens went on to win 44-22. Does anybody else remember it?

5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Just watched Green Vigo's hatrick for Wigan against Leeds at  Headingley in 1977 again,poor John Atkinson,a great winger himself couldn't get near him,has to be one of best hatricks ever scored.

Both great players but you have to factor in the fact that Atkinson was a serving police officer who had just completed a 12 hour shift......

5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Just watched Green Vigo's hatrick for Wigan against Leeds at  Headingley in 1977 again,poor John Atkinson,a great winger himself couldn't get near him,has to be one of best hatricks ever scored.

Yes, amazing. Vigo's treble, and team-mate Jim Nulty's superb solo try in the same game, made it onto the BBC's 100 Top Rugby League Tries video. Four from one team in the one match!

On 29/03/2020 at 21:27, robinson2 said:

It has to be this for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cH92KJExl8

Second Ashes test at Old Trafford 1990. Starts at 5:05. Unbelievable team try.

Awful

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

3 hours ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

As a Wigan supporter I could obviously list several which could be classed as the greatest. However, and as respect to one of THE best wingers I ever saw, I would offer a try scored by Tom van Vollenhoven in the 1958-59 Championship Final against Hunslet. Apparently there is no film footage of this try but there used to be a framed series of photos showing the try from start to finish in the Park Hotel in Wigan. He went full length of the field beating several players and scored behind the posts. It was a vital try in the context of the game as there was not much in it at the time. St.Helens went on to win 44-22. Does anybody else remember it?

I’ve never seen it but this is the try my dad gives as the best he’s ever seen. 

6 hours ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

I read about that try in an old Keith Macklin History of Rugby League book. Sounded an amazing try.

On 28/03/2020 at 18:25, getdownmonkeyman said:

Best is difficult to define. As for most memorable, this takes some beating:

https://youtu.be/udgV8TgKEB8

Love the pronunciation of Offyer!!

On 30/03/2020 at 03:27, robinson2 said:

It has to be this for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cH92KJExl8

Second Ashes test at Old Trafford 1990. Starts at 5:05. Unbelievable team try.

To be honest this is the best try i have ever seen live or on Tv, it still makes me tingle all over every time i see it

I think that you have to distinguish between the best team try and the best solo try.

1. Team try has to be the Queensland State of Origin try, scored by Mark Coyne,  cited by the original poster. More brilliance in that try than WIde to West.

2. The best solo individual try has to be one scored by Shaun Johnson. Take your pick of these:

I happen to think that his 2011 try against Brisbane was his best, better filmed here:

The only real competition for Johnson being judged as having scored the best solo try would have to be one of those scored by Johnson's inspiration, the evergreen star of the Wests Tigers and New Zealand, Benji Marshall

Take your pick out of these two players. No rugby league player in either hemisphere, since the era of video, has been as brilliant in attack as those two Kiwis.

5 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

I think that you have to distinguish between the best team try and the best solo try.

1. Team try has to be the Queensland State of Origin try, scored by Mark Coyne,  cited by the original poster. More brilliance in that try than WIde to West.

2. The best solo individual try has to be one scored by Shaun Johnson. Take your pick of these:

I happen to think that his 2011 try against Brisbane was his best, better filmed here:

The only real competition for Johnson being judged as having scored the best solo try would have to be one of those scored by Johnson's inspiration, the evergreen star of the Wests Tigers and New Zealand, Benji Marshall

Take your pick out of these two players. No rugby league player in either hemisphere, since the era of video, has been as brilliant in attack as those two Kiwis.

In your opinion

Archived