Companies that went the extra mile during the Coronavirus crisis

Had an email from M&S this morning  - they are paying their frontline staff an extra 15% in their wages and those at home self-isolating are on full pay

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A nice little article here on Timpsons and them employing ex-offenders:

Timpson have recruited 270 members of their staff from jail, many working in the day and returning to their cell at night.

Key cutting company Timpson are giving prisoners a chance to re-enter society and is a pioneer for giving people a second chance. Currently 10% of their workforce are ex-convicts, however they like to call them Foundation Colleagues.

Russell Zecanovsky, 40, is one of these people. He runs the shop just outside Wimbledon station. "I think it's better what Timpson's doing than what the prisons are doing," he says. "I'd been to prison three times before I joined Timpson and I had no rehabilitation at all really. With Timpson they are giving you a career." 

https://www.supportsolutions.co.uk/blog/client_groups/offenders_and_ex-offenders/timpsons_give_former_prisoners_a_second_chance.html

• 3 weeks later...

Admiral have just notified me I'll expect a £25 per vehicle refund on my car insurance, as my mileage should be down through not driving when unnecessary. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 24/03/2020 at 20:09, ckn said:

Our cancelled holiday:
- every single Italian company refunded non-refundable stuff
- BA "computer says no" on deposit

NHS conference in Manchester cancelled: Marriott refunded non-refundable pre-paid rooms.

All those will be remembered.

I never fly BA any more

If you try and book particular seats they will not be honoured if you end up with their Spanish flight partner (which most of the time they do). Their English flight staff are excellent - their Spanish flights equivalents (is it Iberia?) are disgraceful....

29 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I never fly BA any more

If you try and book particular seats they will not be honoured if you end up with their Spanish flight partner (which most of the time they do). Their English flight staff are excellent - their Spanish flights equivalents (is it Iberia?) are disgraceful....

Iberia are terrible at losing luggage and not interested in returning it.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

Admiral have just notified me I'll expect a £25 per vehicle refund on my car insurance, as my mileage should be down through not driving when unnecessary. 

Just got this email as well, I do multi car for me and the wife and it says to expect a refund of £50.  Two days ago I 'negotiated' a drop in price from last years premium for this years renewal by threatening to go elsewhere, so fair play to Admiral for doing this..

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

40 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I never fly BA any more

BA are great in fair days but if you have a problem then they're as useful as a chocolate teapot. Never had the Iberia issue.

The thing I like about BA is that they're often cheaper than easyJet if you're careful about booking. Especially if you've luggage and non-standard stuff.

An example of that, 2014, we went to a friend's wedding in Italy. We went business class via BA, they went easyJet, we paid less for our tickets (2x32kg bags each included) than they did once their fares and add-on stuff were added, we ended up taking the bride's dress with us simply because of the luggage capacity we had.

Their stubbornness about this booking though has made me think seriously about swapping service provider next time I need to go, if there's a credible option.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

Just got this email as well, I do multi car for me and the wife and it says to expect a refund of £50.  Two days ago I 'negotiated' a drop in price from last years premium for this years renewal by threatening to go elsewhere, so fair play to Admiral for doing this..

My renewal is actually due, and like you I've 2 cars on the policy. A quick search on a price comparison indicates my renewal for both is broadly in line with the cost of just one elsewhere... 

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

We don’t need them but Iceland have contacted us directly about delivering to shielding people based on the government list.

Meanwhile a supermarket that we have shopped with are still pretending it’s too difficult to work out who is and is not on the list.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We don’t need them but Iceland have contacted us directly about delivering to shielding people based on the government list.

Meanwhile a supermarket that we have shopped with are still pretending it’s too difficult to work out who is and is not on the list.

Mrs Spidey has a copy of my letter on her phone for such disputes at stores. I’ve been contacted by my GP, Hospital, & council and even a letter from Hancock himself. I’m on all sorts of lists it seems ??

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Mrs Spidey has a copy of my letter on her phone for such disputes at stores. I’ve been contacted by my GP, Hospital, & council and even a letter from Hancock himself. I’m on all sorts of lists it seems ??

Aye, Mrs Ginger got one signed, "Matt". I am suspicious that they are on first name terms.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Massive thanks to Morrisons again,due some shopping in next half hour,Not been out for 5 weeks now as me and the wife aint of good health at the moment, Only just got my medication sorted for delivery as the chemist have been with 55 years only deliver 4 miles and  am 5 away. a fantastic lady sorted me in 10 minutes(vicky) from ossett chemist.Stay safe folks.

Just got an email from GreenFlag saying that if I am a member of the NHS and I break down going to or coming from work then call them and they will come out free of charge.  Don't have to be a GreenFlag member, just prove you are NHS.  Well done them.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

its funny - I never get an email from insurance companies  telling me they are sneaking a bit more on my policy this year hoping I wont notice or bother to switch, neither do I get this sneaky price hike announced on national media to let me know where I stand- thankyou admiral you are so great

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Iberia are terrible at losing luggage and not interested in returning it.

Unfortunately we found they were very good at it ! Case arrived day we were returning home.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

8 hours ago, ckn said:

BA are great in fair days but if you have a problem then they're as useful as a chocolate teapot. Never had the Iberia issue.

The thing I like about BA is that they're often cheaper than easyJet if you're careful about booking. Especially if you've luggage and non-standard stuff.

An example of that, 2014, we went to a friend's wedding in Italy. We went business class via BA, they went easyJet, we paid less for our tickets (2x32kg bags each included) than they did once their fares and add-on stuff were added, we ended up taking the bride's dress with us simply because of the luggage capacity we had.

Their stubbornness about this booking though has made me think seriously about swapping service provider next time I need to go, if there's a credible option.

Yep, take into account at least

got an email today about the refund from admiral- think there should be an option about the 25 quid - a. direct refund to customer  b, list of charities to  choose from for them to send it to instead.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 21/04/2020 at 19:53, Exiled Townie said:

Just got an email from GreenFlag saying that if I am a member of the NHS and I break down going to or coming from work then call them and they will come out free of charge.  Don't have to be a GreenFlag member, just prove you are NHS.  Well done them.

AA had previously said the same. ?

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

got an email today about the refund from admiral- think there should be an option about the 25 quid - a. direct refund to customer  b, list of charities to  choose from for them to send it to instead.

You could always just pass the £25 to a charity of your own choice once recieved. ?

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

19 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

You could always just pass the £25 to a charity of your own choice once recieved. ?

Indeed. Stick some gift aid on and it'd even be worth more than £25.

Camping parc du val de loire.

In just a few minutes and a few e-mail exchanges they have rescheduled my may hols to next may.. 

No bug gering about. Just got on with it. They offered a full refund but I got a whole basket of sweeteners for my loyalty and support.

They have kept me informed right from the off and have been an absolute pleasure to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...

More on Timpsons -

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 4 weeks later...

Chelsea Womens team have donated their prize money for winning the shortened Womens Super League to Refuge, a charity which support women & children experiencing domestic violence, and given the increased numbers reported during lockdown, a very worthy cause.

Archived