Companies that were villains during the Coronavirus crisis

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mate of mine works for a haulage company - I won't name it, but some might be able to guess

They ferry bark to garden centres and places like B&Q (who are closed?)

Doesn't seem like an essential service to me - yet its business as usual. If you don't go in there's no pay. No sick pay either.

3 hours ago, yanto said:

Are Airbnb hosts also not allowed to claim for loss of income as small buiseness / self employed? 

Only if running it as a business, and being appropriately registered as self employed. For those who do it it to supplement their income, such as through letting a room in their house, no. In my own circumstances, that's a pain, but bareable. For some people who struggle to make ends meet, it could be catastrophic. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, shaun mc said:

A mate of mine works for a haulage company - I won't name it, but some might be able to guess

They ferry bark to garden centres and places like B&Q (who are closed?)

Doesn't seem like an essential service to me - yet its business as usual. If you don't go in there's no pay. No sick pay either.

B & Q are closed and open. They are delivering and open for click and collect. You cannot go in the store though.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

29 minutes ago, Padge said:

B & Q are closed and open. They are delivering and open for click and collect. You cannot go in the store though.

Thanks - that could be why they are still being 'asked' to go in. He's not happy. His wife is a mobile hairdresser, so both stressed

For those that have questions about holidays and refunds etc.

I believe Easyjet are making it more difficult to get int touch with them over and above any operational issues they may be having with staff numbers etc. Probably holding on till voucher refunds are ratified

image.png.6b33d70760b32907936f2f559ea531ed.png

9 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Going to add Royal Mail (or at least my local sorting office). Just been for my daily walk and saw 3 vans, each carrying 2 posties. Wonder if the memo about social distancing got lost in the post?

In Northern Ireland one positie per van from 23rd March. 

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

Barcelona players have accepted a 70% pay cut to help the club out. I’d hope to see other teams and other sports teams follow this example. 

edit to add that the Barcelona players on top of that are also topping up none playing club staffs money. 

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

How morally corrupt must a sport be before Stan Collymore is calling them out for sickening behaviour?

He's vile piece of wife beating slime, and in this comparison he's not the morally bankrupt one.

Let that sink in.

On 25/03/2020 at 17:20, ckn said:

Our game of chicken with British Airways has paid off... they've finally cancelled our flights to Italy a few weeks before the flight was due and only two days before our payment "extension" expired and we had to either pay the full balance or lose the deposit.

But... rather than the simple usual "we'll refund" email, they said they'll be in touch to work out any options. No... I want a refund.

An amendment to this. We again waited rather than take the "offer" of a voucher on their website, email received that says they're processing the full refund.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 28/03/2020 at 09:26, Johnoco said:

others are just treating it as business as usual and dismissing worries about it. Like as if any concerns you might have about it are ridiculous and OTT. 

Sounds exactly like where I work.

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

The banks are now on the government radar after more anecdotal evidence of poor behaviour. I'm also concerned some have pulled their mortgage products for first time buyers, and it's looking likely you'll need a 40% deposit to be able to buy a house. A cursory glance at the BBC news website will fill in any gaps you may wish to fill.

We're all in it together apparently. 

Banks seem to being doing their best to be the unacceptable face of capitalism.

They will never learn, because they think they are untouchable....and they probably are.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

53 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Banks seem to being doing their best to be the unacceptable face of capitalism.

They will never learn, because they think they are untouchable....and they probably are.

Recent history and their friend's in high places prove that they are.

5 hours ago, Ackroman said:

The banks are now on the government radar after more anecdotal evidence of poor behaviour. I'm also concerned some have pulled their mortgage products for first time buyers, and it's looking likely you'll need a 40% deposit to be able to buy a house. A cursory glance at the BBC news website will fill in any gaps you may wish to fill.

We're all in it together apparently. 

There’ll be some senior people gleefully sitting in the banks thinking of all the profit they’ll make from being able to “furlough” all the expensive branch staff at public expense, and without the local public uproar that comes from closing branches, while also stiffing every company who needs a loan with both extortionate rates and directors’ guarantees.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

22 minutes ago, ckn said:

There’ll be some senior people gleefully sitting in the banks thinking of all the profit they’ll make from being able to “furlough” all the expensive branch staff at public expense, and without the local public uproar that comes from closing branches, while also stiffing every company who needs a loan with both extortionate rates and directors’ guarantees.

Yes , the same ones a few years back begging to be be bailed out 

For another night , but a few years back I wanted a 30K mortgage , I was dumping a 140 K mortgage , they said no , 6 years earlier they were happy to give me 300 K 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hearing a lot of bad things about BA and how they are using this crisis as an opportunity to restructure and make staff accept pay cuts and new terms and conditions and make people redundant. All the while whilst furloughing staff. It smacks of opportunism.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-01/british-airways-threatens-to-dismiss-19000-staff-unless-they-accept-worst-pay-conditions/

• 2 months later...

NATIONAL HOLIDAYS. bunch of crooks and have mugged a lot of old folks,now gone bustin march, but made sure they looked ok until they gathered all the outstanding $$££££ for holidays booked,even advertised same holidays days before pulling the plug, they left thousands with any chance of getting a dime back as some paid cash. there even  now sending leaflets in the post, and emails with same logo.same hotels and venues and on same coachs. wrong ens to simply wipe off depts and start again leaving people high n dry.

Anyways it took 6 months and a lot a phone calls but i got my ££££ back off mastercard today for the 4 of us on a 4 day trip to scotland for millitary tattoo i paid way back in november,

Archived