Companies that were villains during the Coronavirus crisis

On 03/06/2020 at 09:58, Damien said:

Hearing a lot of bad things about BA and how they are using this crisis as an opportunity to restructure and make staff accept pay cuts and new terms and conditions and make people redundant. All the while whilst furloughing staff. It smacks of opportunism.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-01/british-airways-threatens-to-dismiss-19000-staff-unless-they-accept-worst-pay-conditions/

One word, UNION.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/04/2020 at 17:21, Ackroman said:

The banks are now on the government radar after more anecdotal evidence of poor behaviour. I'm also concerned some have pulled their mortgage products for first time buyers, and it's looking likely you'll need a 40% deposit to be able to buy a house. A cursory glance at the BBC news website will fill in any gaps you may wish to fill.

We're all in it together apparently. 

i actually think the country woud be in a better place if we did all require 40% deposits (i put that down in the early 90's on first house), the easy availability of mortgage credit is what has fueled the housing bubble more than  restricted supply. If the banks had been restricted in what they were allowed to loan vs property then prices would not have risen as they have. I would take a 50% hit on value of my house (would still be more than i paid in 1999) to adjutst the market so my children have a hope of ownership

Maggie, right to buy and HUGE loan to value ratios are what has caused the issue

I would like to add Huawei phones

Daughter has aphone we bought outright about 21mths ago, touchscreen stopped working, she spoke to them sent it off for warranty repair, they have passed to SPE their repairers who are saying there is a mark on the case which they believe is a crack and s as they "do not do partial repairs" they will not touch the screen repair under warranty but will repair for £95 - all offers of "ok we will pay the £11 for a new back as listed on your website" have been met with "i am working form home and can not ok that or escalate you to a manager, i will get one to ring you back" this has now been going on for 3 weeks and we are getting nowhere (even with threat of small claims court action)

Using Covid as an excuse for poor Customer Service is stupid

1 hour ago, SSoutherner said:

I would like to add Huawei phones

Daughter has aphone we bought outright about 21mths ago, touchscreen stopped working, she spoke to them sent it off for warranty repair, they have passed to SPE their repairers who are saying there is a mark on the case which they believe is a crack and s as they "do not do partial repairs" they will not touch the screen repair under warranty but will repair for £95 - all offers of "ok we will pay the £11 for a new back as listed on your website" have been met with "i am working form home and can not ok that or escalate you to a manager, i will get one to ring you back" this has now been going on for 3 weeks and we are getting nowhere (even with threat of small claims court action)

Using Covid as an excuse for poor Customer Service is stupid

So many similar comments I have heard about Huawei.  I won't touch them with a barge pole.

Sam Smith's probably deserve to be added as they've advised their landlords not to take customer details for use if needed for track and trace. Cracking reasoning behind this though:

A company spokeswoman said: "The reasoning behind [not having track and trace] is it’s against GDPR data protection to ask people’s names and addresses and most people would give false names and addresses.

"Sam Smith’s customers are locals and most managers know the customers and word would get around if Covid was in a pub.”

"People who write down names and addresses with a pen on paper could also spread the virus. There is also confidentiality — there was a man who followed a pretty woman into a pub and saw her write down her name and phone number and then copied it and bothered her."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, Bleep1673 said:

The RFL for emailing everyone with deadlines for buying WC2021 tickets, when there is no guarantee that spectators will be allowed into stadia.

Will we get 100% of our money back when the ###### government says we still cant have spectators?

On 13/11/2020 at 14:58, Bleep1673 said:

Will we get 100% of our money back when the ###### government says we still cant have spectators?

The World Cup organising body have promised full refunds if the event is postponed or cancelled. They couldn’t have done anything more and have been excellent so far

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

That's a stinker of a move by the restaurant. I hope this news gets spread around widely.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

That's a stinker of a move by the restaurant. I hope this news gets spread around widely.

I'm genuinely conflicted. On the one hand I've got my ticket for the outrage bus, these employees probably don't earn a massive amount and loans are freely available at super low rates right now.

On the other hand, the employer could cut everyone's pay by 10% unilaterally or they could make 10% of their head count redundant. If it's a genuine loan then there must be provision to repay to when times are better and it shows a certain element of faith that the staff will have jobs to come back to in 6 months time, albeit in a strange way of showing it. 

Like I said, genuinely conflicted.

What I do suspect is that what we have is not the full story and coming as it does in the lead in to the budget I can't help but wonder who has their finger prints on the background of the story.

13 minutes ago, Shadow said:

What I do suspect is that what we have is not the full story and coming as it does in the lead in to the budget I can't help but wonder who has their finger prints on the background of the story.

BBC of course. The worlds leading brand on pessimistic news.

I would also like to add the NHS to this list, at the weekend I was admitted to A&E because I had a seizure, no ambulances waiting in Queues outside, no-one waiting in A&E, when I asked the Sister-in-Charge, who knows me, about this, she said ITU was empty, and she hasn't had a quieter February in 30 Years.

Yet it took 2 hours for an ambulance (SECAMB) to turn up to me, they run up and down the seafront "Blues n Two's" going, and the Fire Service (ESF&RS) started doing it too yesterday, the same machine, backwards and forwards looking for something to do.

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

I'm genuinely conflicted. On the one hand I've got my ticket for the outrage bus, these employees probably don't earn a massive amount and loans are freely available at super low rates right now.

On the other hand, the employer could cut everyone's pay by 10% unilaterally or they could make 10% of their head count redundant. If it's a genuine loan then there must be provision to repay to when times are better and it shows a certain element of faith that the staff will have jobs to come back to in 6 months time, albeit in a strange way of showing it. 

It was the veiled threat to their jobs that was more offensive than the request for money from staff (who one suspects were not exactly coining it in).

It doesn't suggest a particularly healthy relationship between management and employees.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Shadow said:

Bet they can't cut the wages as they are on the bare minimum, they would break the law if they cut wages. They would have done it if they could.

On 01/03/2021 at 13:01, Bleep1673 said:

Lettings Agents, Just because.

Letting agents in Hastings are not providing personal visits, claiming Coronavirus regulations, but Agents in Eastbourne, and Brighton are saying, if I wear a mask, I will be allowed a visit.

I even saw a local property for rent with a St. Albans letting agent who drove all the way to St. Leonards for a viewing day.

Archived