29 Mar: SL: Paris St Germain v Sheffield Eagles (Retro Match Thread) Sky Sports - 7pm

Sky Sports Arena are having a full day of RL programmes this Sunday, including the previously broadcast documentaries about Eddie Hemmings, Stevo and Jamie Peacock as well as Warriors Down Under and We Play League. The highlight is 'Super league Rewind' on Sunday night at 7pm, which is showing the first game of Super League from March 1996 between Paris St Germain and Sheffield Eagles. It's a 2 and a half hour show, so I'm assuming its a re-broadcast of Sky's full coverage as was shown on the night. Hopefully Sky can dig out a few more classic games while there's no live action on. 

The full day of programmes is on Sky Sports Arena from 6am Sunday morning, and from 10.30am everything is also showing on SS Mix. However, the Warriors Down Under and We Play League re runs after 10.30pm are only on SS Arena. The PSG v Sheffield match is also being shown on SS Main Event. 

• John Drake changed the title to 29 Mar: SL: Paris St Germain v Sheffield Eagles (Retro Match Thread) Sky Sports - 7pm

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

24 years ago - 29th March 1996.What a night that was. Travelled over on the recently launched Eurostar- fabulous. A starting date for the competition which today some would like to see return.'L'Equipe' give it a third of a page match report. Loved the international profile. Kacala a prop from Poland and a winger from Moldavia in Piskunov.  Father (Tas) of Dragons forward Jason Baitieri running the show too.

220px-PSG_rugby_league.png

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Was “Warriors Down Under” the production that gave us Ieysten Harris calling SBW rubbish and Shaun Wane given his players licence to “hurt them (the Roosters) by any means” just months before Ben Flower tried his best to get himself a prison sentence?

Warriors Down Under was a documentary on the 2006 Lions Tri-Nations tour. It's excellent.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

Let's turn this into a retro match thread discussion!

Cheer ourselves up, pretend it is actually happening live and we don't know the outcome. ?

As a Fev fan, I'm going to be rooting for our former player Freddie Banquet.

Just backed him to be 1st try scorer at 33-1, probably a mug bet but you never know.

An interview with Mark Aston remembering the match

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/11963074/super-league-at-25-sheffields-mark-aston-recalls-unforgettable-paris-saint-germain-match

Seem to remember reading somewhere that the original fixture list had PSG playing Oldham, but they changed it to Sheffield presumably so it was two big cities playing against each other.

I wasn't in Paris on the opening night, but I was at Boundary Park the following day to see Oldham play Wigan. There was Stevo attempting to introduce the players onto the pitch (but failing badly) and the worlds worst Tina Turner impersonator. 

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Warriors Down Under was a documentary on the 2006 Lions Tri-Nations tour. It's excellent.

The GB Tour documentary was, to give it it's full title, "League Of Their Own 2: Warriors Down Under". The show airing this weekend on Sky is about Wigan's trip to play the Roosters in Sydney.

On 25/03/2020 at 10:25, John Drake said:

Let's turn this into a retro match thread discussion!

Cheer ourselves up, pretend it is actually happening live and we don't know the outcome. ?

So what are peoples thoughts about  us having this French side in SL?

Personally I think having the team in Paris may be a mistake and they should have gone for one of the rugby heartland areas in the South of France

Guess we'll see

By the way has anyone listened to that new 2Unlimited album yet? I hear it's great

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Just backed him to be 1st try scorer at 33-1, probably a mug bet but you never know.

Cracking player Freddie and all round nice guy OMG was it that long ago ?

Remember him playing for the Leopards v Lezignan on French TV must have been around 1999/2000 what a team they had with some great players.

7 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Was “Warriors Down Under” the production that gave us Ieysten Harris calling SBW rubbish and Shaun Wane given his players licence to “hurt them (the Roosters) by any means” just months before Ben Flower tried his best to get himself a prison sentence?

Wasnt that the year SBW won most awards going, including world player of the year or whatever it is

4 hours ago, thirteenthman said:

The GB Tour documentary was, to give it it's full title, "League Of Their Own 2: Warriors Down Under". The show airing this weekend on Sky is about Wigan's trip to play the Roosters in Sydney.

Fair enough, bit shoddy they used the same title.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

So what are peoples thoughts about  us having this French side in SL?

Personally I think having the team in Paris may be a mistake and they should have gone for one of the rugby heartland areas in the South of France

Guess we'll see

By the way has listened to that new 2Unlimited album yet? I hear it's great

Will never catch on mate! Blimey your be talking about North American teams next!! Could you imagine the uproar? Still if it did ever happen I imagine it would have all died down...wont even be mentioned in 20 odd years time.

8 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I've just got big odds on dean lawford to score first for Sheffield eagles 

20 hours ago, audois said:

24 years ago - 29th March 1996.What a night that was. Travelled over on the recently launched Eurostar- fabulous. A starting date for the competition which today some would like to see return.'L'Equipe' give it a third of a page match report. Loved the international profile. Kacala a prop from Poland and a winger from Moldavia in Piskunov.  Father (Tas) of Dragons forward Jason Baitieri running the show too.

PSG XIII made the front page this day !

image.thumb.png.ed15a6914a76f343c93e3411f0674eb5.png

Which I believe is the last time RL appeared on the front page.

42 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Why oh why oh why is the RFL spaffing money on a team in Paris? They don’t even play rugby league there. 

They didn't play much league in Mansfield, or Kent, but that paid off

At least most of the PSG players are French.

Incidentally,  as this is 1996, what are we doing on the internet?

1996. Just got divorced, and then got Sky.

Not much of a form guide to go off so difficult to call. Paris are very much an unknown entity and Sheffield not much more. I have a feeling home advantage might pay off though, and travelling such a long distance may take its toll on Sheffield.

I’m going for an enterprising 30-24 win for Paris. Reports are they’ve sold plenty of tickets so could be close to a sell out. This summer rugby lark may just catch on ?

But what first will we see happen during play ? Will it be a one off ? ?

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

In a more up-to-date post, really looking forward to watching this. It's part of the history of our sport and will be a fascinating watch from a broadcasting perspective too. And Stevo will be on the pitch announcing each player individually as they enter the field! I think it got scrapped by about round 3!

I hear that Paris supporters get in for free and yet away supporters must have a ticket to travel on official trips.

Not sure about Wigan's game in July. 5 of us have booked flights and accommodation but the game has been moved due to the Tour De France finishing the day after in the city. I fancied watching that too. Will be writing and posting a letter to League Express as I don't have a computer or the internet. 

Hope Paris win.

(All of the above happened. Wigan game was moved back to Paris and we watched the Tour De France?1)

Archived