29 Mar: SL: Paris St Germain v Sheffield Eagles (Retro Match Thread) Sky Sports - 7pm

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Arnaud Cervello with the try of the round!

Okay, maybe that was the try of the round.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1999 CC semi-final between Castleford & London.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Wigan at Wembley 

1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995...

Wigan v Queensland 1983.

Never seen full game only some highlights last year.

Wouldn't mind some more PSG games as I gave them some support 1996-97. Opening 1996 SL game was as good as it got however before Maurice Lindsay finally withdrew them for a year. If I am wrong so be it. Have learned alot from other forum members about their eventual plight ?For example I didn't know that they relocated away from Paris with 4(?) SL rounds left in 1997.

I went to their last ever SL game at Salford in 1997 when Andy Goodway was coach. Memories.

9 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

When did the big shoulder pads go out of fashion? was it as the tight shirts came in?

Yes indeed , it seems back then it was a bit like the army , one size fits all ?

Really enjoyed the match , The game seemed to be played with the ref letting a little bit go at the play the ball , very noticeable how quick the players let go of the tackled player , the game moved along quickly , the scrums were even tidier with the loose forward actually packing down as opposed to leaning on peering over the top of the scrum  , quite an exciting product which advertised the game well ,.........and then we bulked up and invented defensive coaches and talked about controlling the wrestle and let players lay on for ever in the tackle to slow things down ......still love the game though .

7 hours ago, Faithful1865 said:

Excellent game. I really like the look of Entat. He'd be a great signing for Hull FC. If only!!

Only with us for a year but him and Greg Mackey were one of the best half-back partnerships we've ever had.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 29/03/2020 at 21:44, GUBRATS said:

Very enjoyable game , no messing , no wrestling , lots of offloads , Stevo praising the hookers ? , where did it all go wrong ?

Absolutely

A pox on whoever introduced the wrestle to rugby league.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Didn’t think the quality was very high, to be honest. Maybe I’m weird but I like tries to be earned not given away. 

Leaving aside the insanity of their players turning out for French league clubs as well as PSG, I can see why they struggled because their line speed and defensive structure was almost non-existent at times.

I watched the 1985 Cup Final the other night and while it was an absolutely wonderful match the defensive lines looked like something out of Crufts a lot of the time too.

There’s rightly a lot of nostalgia in RL but I have to say I prefer the faster, more athletic, more intense game we have now.

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Didn’t think the quality was very high, to be honest. Maybe I’m weird but I like tries to be earned not given away. 

Leaving aside the insanity of their players turning out for French league clubs as well as PSG, I can see why they struggled because their line speed and defensive structure was almost non-existent at times.

I watched the 1985 Cup Final the other night and while it was an absolutely wonderful match the defensive lines looked like something out of Crufts a lot of the time too.

There’s rightly a lot of nostalgia in RL but I have to say I prefer the faster, more athletic, more intense game we have now.

Go along with your views.

Was crazy PSG players were doubling up for French league clubs. Pleased with the win as they were a brand new team.

Defenses now are superb but dislike modern yet effective way of constantly bashing up the middle and then scoring tries off kicks.

Forgive me if last point is too negative.

Around time of 1985 final Peter Sterling was very critical of defense in England at that time.

11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Agree on the ' quality ' , I'd say both those teams would struggle to get top half of Championship now , but entertainment ? 

But with that intensity comes predictability and lack of invention , % RL which can become boring 

It`s an interesting one , which do you prefer shabby defence , but plenty of line breaks , off loads and excitement or concrete defence , 5 tackle kick , and slowing down of the play the ball . Would be interesting to see a table showing a comparison of the percentage number of handling tries scored from the beginning of Super League (as opposed to tries from kicks) right up to 2020 .

Archived