Paying the self employed

It seems the government are considering paying the self employed up to 80% of their earnings. It appears to be very difficult to find away to do it.

Am I missing something here?

Every year I submit my accounts to the tax man. Based on that my tax liability is calculated. So the Inland Revenue know exactly I much I earn. Perhaps those that are claiming they couldn't live on 80% are really showing that they have been under declaring their true earnings. 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

That was a discussion with much amusement in my office yesterday, if people have been claiming to earn £5000 a year to the tax man and are now being found out there was little sympathy from the Chandlers Ford panel.

5 hours ago, Bearman said:

It seems the government are considering paying the self employed up to 80% of their earnings. It appears to be very difficult to find away to do it.

Am I missing something here?

Every year I submit my accounts to the tax man. Based on that my tax liability is calculated. So the Inland Revenue know exactly I much I earn. Perhaps those that are claiming they couldn't live on 80% are really showing that they have been under declaring their true earnings. 

I think it will be the same as furloughed employees, 80% or £2,500 whichever is the lower figure.

All of those dodgy cash in hand builders etc and people who have under-declared their earnings are about to find it biting them where the sun don’t shine.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

we will all end up paying it back for years and years so don't worry about pitting one status of employment against the other at this stage

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

What really gets on my tats about this is when the media use video links to people who are self-employed when discussing this and they choose Nail Technicians and Social Media Influencer's, are they the sort of vital jobs that the nation  must ensure survives? The thought 'stop whining and go get a proper job' has crossed my mind more than once, but I'm old school and believe that work involves getting your hands dirty the rest is just playing at it and the form of renumeration we use is the wrong way round.

Archived