Holiday in West Riding

Last year, my wife and I had a holiday at Hebden Bridge at Chez @gazza77. Highly recommended.

We enjoyed it so much that at the end of the year, she would like to go to the area again. Are there any places off the beaten track that might also appeal to her?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Last year, my wife and I had a holiday at Hebden Bridge at Chez @gazza77. Highly recommended.

We enjoyed it so much that at the end of the year, she would like to go to the area again. Are there any places off the beaten track that might also appeal to her?

Castleford is well off the tourist track, but I'm doubtful as to whether it will appeal......?

13 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

Further along the canal from Hebden bridge between the towns of Mirfield and Dewsbury you could sample the delights of Ravensthorpe

Razorthorpe has its attractions.

Also, it's further along the River Calder from Hebden Bridge, as well as the canal network, and it's often jolly boating weather in the Heavy Woollen District.

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Any particular ideas of things she might be interested in? Have you considered heading into the Dales? 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

6 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Any particular ideas of things she might be interested in? Have you considered heading into the Dales? 

I once took my wife to the dales, she managed to find her way back eventually though.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Go West young man.

When you crest the Penine ridge you will see the sunny plain of Lancashire laid out before you. In fact, if you go West,  North or South you will find proper Dales ( Derbyshire, Wolds ( Leicestershire) Moors ( Northumberland) Mountains and Lakes ( Cumbria). Lancashire has proper resorts like Blackpool, Morecambe and Southport.

In fact the world opens up to you when you get out of Yorkshire. A county that God made and quickly decided that he made a mistake and is eroding it away as fast as he can.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

14 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I used to take my car for repairs to a geezer I knew in Ravensthorpe. Sound guy but he was about 70 at the time - and still working - and his dad was always there too. He must have been about 95. 

Sounds like Ravensthorpe.

14 hours ago, Bearman said:

Go West young man.

When you crest the Penine ridge you will see the sunny plain of Lancashire laid out before you. In fact, if you go West,  North or South you will find proper Dales ( Derbyshire, Wolds ( Leicestershire) Moors ( Northumberland) Mountains and Lakes ( Cumbria). Lancashire has proper resorts like Blackpool, Morecambe and Southport.

In fact the world opens up to you when you get out of Yorkshire. A county that God made and quickly decided that he made a mistake and is eroding it away as fast as he can.

Was that before or after he created the World's biggest cul- de-sac, the title of a Talking Heads song (A590) Barrow?

11 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Was that before or after he created the World's biggest cul- de-sac, the title of a Talking Heads song (A590) Barrow?

To quote Reg Holdsworth in Coronation Street. " Have you ever been to Barrow in Furness? You drive to the end of the world and its 50 miles further on."

Ron Banks

Went to Brockadale near Smeaton recently, went via Stapleton for a country run. It is a beautiful area and a walk round Brockadale is superb. The idea that we have no beautiful places left is ridiculous. We also go to Fairburn Ings, St Aidens and the woods near Selby, called Brayton woods. If you enjoy a walk in the countryside these places are very near and are superb. Accommodation is available in all areas but will be unavailable until the crisis is over. But you can still have a walk even now.  

16 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I used to take my car for repairs to a geezer I knew in Ravensthorpe. Sound guy but he was about 70 at the time - and still working - and his dad was always there too. He must have been about 95. 

were it on island at fir cottage , i used to have car lot on spen service station for 15 years,lived at back of albion pub too when we had one hell of a rugby team coached my sammy morton.used to be a super place to live in 80-90s.

18 hours ago, Bearman said:

Go West young man.

You are a clueless buffoon A.k.a lancastrian

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

1 hour ago, terrywebbisgod said:

You are a clueless buffoon A.k.a lancastrian

Just being honest. If you dont like the message dont shoot the messanger. Its a fact that the truth often hurts.

Ron Banks

2 hours ago, silverback said:

were it on island at fir cottage , i used to have car lot on spen service station for 15 years,lived at back of albion pub too when we had one hell of a rugby team coached my sammy morton.used to be a super place to live in 80-90s.

Ravensthorpe used to have a cracking bowling green, very tricky and a team who bowled it well. 
It had to close 8 to 10 years ago, membership had dwindled due to the animosity and threat from the newly arrived residents. They saw a lovely piece of grass and thought it was only right they could play football, cricket or have barbecues on the green.

A shame really, I used to enjoy my yearly visit and play against old acquaintances and meet new ones.

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Ravensthorpe used to have a cracking bowling green, very tricky and a team who bowled it well. 
It had to close 8 to 10 years ago, membership had dwindled due to the animosity and threat from the newly arrived residents. They saw a lovely piece of grass and thought it was only right they could play football, cricket or have barbecues on the green.

A shame really, I used to enjoy my yearly visit and play against old acquaintances and meet new ones.

was it up park by rugby pitch, or the one at the old ravensthorpe WMC, savile town fields had to close as folks were leaving broken bottle just under the soil/grass, seemed to work after some terrible cuts to players and is now a play area for locals.

19 minutes ago, silverback said:

was it up park by rugby pitch, or the one at the old ravensthorpe WMC, savile town fields had to close as folks were leaving broken bottle just under the soil/grass, seemed to work after some terrible cuts to players and is now a play area for locals.

The WMC, a Mosque has been built there now.

I played a game on Saville green just before it closed, we had to abandon it due to having stones lobbed at as over the wall.

Steve Pinfield is a well known and respected name in the crown green bowling world, didn’t you ever fancy having a go?

21 hours ago, Bearman said:

Go West young man.

She has already seen St Helens and Blackpool.

I have no idea why she prefers Yorkshire.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Just now, Bob8 said:

She has already seen St Helens and Blackpool.

I have no idea why she prefers Yorkshire.

It's better. ?

That said, Trough of Bowland is nice, not that I've ever stayed there, only passed through. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

3 hours ago, Moose said:

The WMC, a Mosque has been built there now.

I played a game on Saville green just before it closed, we had to abandon it due to having stones lobbed at as over the wall.

Steve Pinfield is a well known and respected name in the crown green bowling world, didn’t you ever fancy having a go?

nope, i were more into the noise of f1 stockcars while steven were polishing his balls, he had bags a balls all over house, my wife made some giant spider out a some of his old ones for garden ornaments, steven were a real nice quite fella and had one hell of a sendoff at lower hopton club.

On 25/03/2020 at 18:51, Bob8 said:

It's not quite clear how far (or not) from Hebden Bridge you have in mind, Bob8.

Very close are those bits of Lancashire just over the hill, if you take the road north-west out of Hebden Bridge past Widdop.  Trawden is attractive, and you can come back into the Worth Valley via Wycoller, which is even better.

As others have said, the main part of the Dales is nearby, though arguably it hardly classifies as 'off the beaten track'.  That said, Langstrothdale is a delight and not as well known as it probably should be.

Archived