NRL & RLPA in discussion to save the sport

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Makes for some pretty grim reading...

https://apple.news/AYZqof5W_TFa8whhDhHNS2g

What is being reported out of UK for SL and RFU?

I think some British Union clubs are in a similar/worse position, albeit most are supported by a benefactor. However the longer it goes on, the more it would impact SL, as unions season doesn’t have that long left here.

But I don’t think the sporting clubs are any different than others - if other industries were told they could not earn revenue for the rest of the year then most would struggle to survive. Hence why it’s almost certain that these restrictions will only be temporary 

29 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I think some British Union clubs are in a similar/worse position, albeit most are supported by a benefactor. However the longer it goes on, the more it would impact SL, as unions season doesn’t have that long left here.

But I don’t think the sporting clubs are any different than others - if other industries were told they could not earn revenue for the rest of the year then most would struggle to survive. Hence why it’s almost certain that these restrictions will only be temporary 

It's going to hit the Premiership RU clubs as they already have far bigger debts to service than the SL clubs, plus the CVC private equity people will likely still want their full cut of revenue regardless (or defer it which generates future debt). The lower tier RU clubs are having their central funding slashed so they will be in strife as well. I doubt any top clubs will go under, too many rich backers and they have the support of "the system", but there are going to be cuts at all levels.

As for the NRL proposals in the link a pay cut is the obvious solution, just by how much. Wouldn't surprise me if the Australian RLPA ask for a deferral rather than an actual pay cut. The top club/NRL officials should be under pressure to take similar pay cuts, I note Shane Richardson has resigned at Souths purely to save them money and is doing work for them voluntarily. 

The worst case scenario schedule shown starts in September and runs for 4 months, 3 months of that is in the previous closed season so they would presumably claw back a fair bit of income then, the key being survival until September. 

I also see it omits any international RL, purely shows NRL and SOO fixtures, so the Ashes are gone. On the off chance it survives the Australians certainly wont be running any warm up games (NZ and another) as was planned.

Oh, and the title of this thread should be "NRL & RLPA in discussion to save the NRL" the game itself will continue regardless.

I am guessing like all of us but I'm thinking that some pay might be deferred. According to how much and how long that defferal would be will depend of course. Seems plausible that what would be owed would be paid back over a  number of years.

The salary cap might be reduced of course.

Archived