Best try saving tackle

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy...Danny Houghton on Currie in the CCF.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

30 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

Nevermind best try... What about the best try saving tackle.

Phil Ford for Leeds v Widnes April 1989 when he caught a fella called Martin Offiah......from the other side of the pitch.

God if I could find that tackle on youtube... I remember watching it from the Western Terrace end and it's stuck with me to this day. I remember suggesting ways to make the new stadium feel more like home and placing an X on the field in the position Ford nailed him was one of them.

42 minutes ago, M j M said:

God if I could find that tackle on youtube... I remember watching it from the Western Terrace end and it's stuck with me to this day. I remember suggesting ways to make the new stadium feel more like home and placing an X on the field in the position Ford nailed him was one of them.

My first ever Leeds game

1 hour ago, Rhinoferg said:

Nevermind best try... What about the best try saving tackle.

Phil Ford for Leeds v Widnes April 1989 when he caught a fella called Martin Offiah......from the other side of the pitch.

One of the greatest moments ever at Headingley.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

I attended that Leeds v Widnes game as a neutral and still remember it, couldn't believe my eyes. As a Wigan fan I wanted Leeds to win, so it was the highlight of a very disappointing afternoon.

The semi that year was Wigan v Warrington at Maine Road when Joe Lydon popped over the longest drop goal I've ever seen. Around 60+ meters I think and was a world record at the time, it may still be.

Wembley 1985 Wigan vHullFC. 17 years old Shaun Edwards stopped big LeeCrooks a right on the line and turned him on his back.David and Goliath,and a hint of what was to come in that wonderful match.It happened in the fist five minutes.

1980 Northern v Hunslet I think we had already won the championship and were winning by 40+ points when King the Hunslet scrum half broke clear from the blindsided of the scrum.

From out of nowhere from the other side of the field sir Keith Mumby appeared and locked on his Target like an excocet missile sending King flying into touch like the championship depended on saving that try.

It doesn't sound much but to me that was the greatest tackle from one of the greatest tacklers ever.(Keith Mumby)

2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

None better than Kelsey Gentles try saver against Australia in last years 9’s tournament.

No idea how to add the clip from you tube.

It was a belter.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I remember in a test match an Australian going over for a try, Brad Clyde I think it was, and Gary Connolly hauling him back from behind as he was on his way down. Probably not the most spectacular tackle, but for sheer strength and determination to stop a try its the one that has always stuck in my mind

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I remember in a test match an Australian going over for a try, Brad Clyde I think it was, and Gary Connolly hauling him back from behind as he was on his way down. Probably not the most spectacular tackle, but for sheer strength and determination to stop a try its the one that has always stuck in my mind

This one on Fittler? 17 minutes into video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu67CsfrMzY

I was lucky enough to be at the 9s and saw the Kelsey Gentles tackle but for me the memorable part was the reception she got. Shortly afterwards she was substituted and came off on the opposite side of the pitch and as she made her way back to the bench she received a tremendous ovation from the crowd every step of the way.

18 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

I attended that Leeds v Widnes game as a neutral and still remember it, couldn't believe my eyes. As a Wigan fan I wanted Leeds to win, so it was the highlight of a very disappointing afternoon.

The semi that year was Wigan v Warrington at Maine Road when Joe Lydon popped over the longest drop goal I've ever seen. Around 60+ meters I think and was a world record at the time, it may still be.

We walked back from the ground to the city centre and stopped off at a pub on he way. I thought it strange to see an enormous picture Danny La Rue on the wall. We soon worked out why.  But the beer was good.

1 hour ago, del capo said:

R I P Frank Myler

The other reason for posting it.

You're right about the commentary.

Also meant to say how nice it was of HKR to play homage to SRD in their choice of kit on the day.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived