Best try saving tackle

In the Wigan v Wokington 1958 CCF I don't think it was Bretherton who tackled Ike Southward but Norman Cherrington. Cherrington was quite fast and although a second row he sometimes played wing. It does seem to be number 11 on the Wigan player's shirt. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Reverend Ram said:

For me has to be John Pendlebury (I think!) on Mark Elia in the 87 CCF  to win the cup for Fax v St Helens  - text book attitude in never giving up!

The one where he stopped him dead in his tracks on the try line and then drove him back? Think that was Graham Eadie

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

21 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

The one where he stopped him dead in his tracks on the try line and then drove him back? Think that was Graham Eadie

Think he’s talking about the one he chases back and I thinks knocks the ball out of his hand. 

24 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Undoubtedly... watch the whole vid

Josh Morris was very brave there... but also more offside than any defender has ever been in the history of our sport so should have been penalised. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

23 hours ago, Rhinoferg said:

Nevermind best try... What about the best try saving tackle.

Phil Ford for Leeds v Widnes April 1989 when he caught a fella called Martin Offiah......from the other side of the pitch.

As soon as i saw the title i thought of the rubber man

3 hours ago, Father Ted said:

In the Wigan v Wokington 1958 CCF I don't think it was Bretherton who tackled Ike Southward but Norman Cherrington. Cherrington was quite fast and although a second row he sometimes played wing. It does seem to be number 11 on the Wigan player's shirt. 

Agree Ted. Norman was always pretty quick

But even so after 75 min  on the park  as a forward a superb effort to get to one of the greatest wingers of his day and cause Ike to fail on the touch down. I was there as a kid. My dad said that  won us the game......

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Think he’s talking about the one he chases back and I thinks knocks the ball out of his hand. 

That’s right bb, I was stood on the terrace by the goal line Halifax were defending (I think it was standing still then at Wembley but the memory may be playing up and I could have been sat) but I will remember the way time seemed to slow down as Elia was over the line and Penders’ arm came over and smashed the ball out of his grasp. Thrilling stuff!

Featherstone v Barrow 1967 Challenge Cup Final. Full-Back Brian Wrigglesworth turning and catching Barrow winger Bill Burgess. a player who could catch pigeons,  when he caught the ball people thought that was it he'd score, but wriggy turned and nailed him before he could get away. What a memory that is.

15 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

That’s right bb, I was stood on the terrace by the goal line Halifax were defending (I think it was standing still then at Wembley but the memory may be playing up and I could have been sat) but I will remember the way time seemed to slow down as Elia was over the line and Penders’ arm came over and smashed the ball out of his grasp. Thrilling stuff!

As a Saints fan thrilling is not the way I’d describe it. At the time I thought it was the end of the world. Only to realise it wasn’t as that came two years later when Wigan beat a no show Saints team 27- 0. 

5 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

For me has to be John Pendlebury (I think!) on Mark Elia in the 87 CCF  to win the cup for Fax v St Helens  - text book attitude in never giving up!

Number one for me as well., both airborne as well.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 26/03/2020 at 18:26, jacksy said:

Easy...Danny Houghton on Currie in the CCF.

So good it even had a name and its own beer.

SAM_1759.JPG

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Josh Morris was very brave there... but also more offside than any defender has ever been in the history of our sport so should have been penalised. 

The tackle was made 15m in front of where the play the ball took place. In no way at all should he have been penalised.

I expected better from you @Dunbar

Kieron Cunningham against Wigan at Knowsley road, he chased back almost full length and flipped the player round mid air as the player was diving in to score, the player (cant remember who) knocked on and saints went in 2-0 up at half time. The second half saw that no looking pass by Martyn and pretty sure that was the only try of the game and saints won to nil. 

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The tackle was made 15m in front of where the play the ball took place. In no way at all should he have been penalised.

I expected better from you @Dunbar

An offside player is indeed placed onside when an opponent moves ten metres or more with the ball.

But the laws also say that "Players who are out of play at a play-the-ball, a scrum, a kick off or drop-out, a penalty kick or a free kick are not put “on side” in the manner described."

https://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/rules_and_regulations/laws_of_the_game/offside

Seeing as though Morris was off the pitch when the play the ball occurred I would argue that he remained offside during that play and should have been penalised.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

An offside player is indeed placed onside when an opponent moves ten metres or more with the ball.

But the laws also say that "Players who are out of play at a play-the-ball, a scrum, a kick off or drop-out, a penalty kick or a free kick are not put “on side” in the manner described."

https://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/rules_and_regulations/laws_of_the_game/offside

Seeing as though Morris was off the pitch when the play the ball occurred I would argue that he remained offside during that play and should have been penalised.

It’s an interesting point @Dunbar, the way the laws are written, you very much could argue in favour that it should have been a penalty. You are back to your lofty position in my list ?

“An opponent runs 10m or more with the ball” is more suitably applied when there are offside kick chasers. A player (often the FB or Winger) has run 10m (in any direction) with the ball, will place offside kick chasers onside.

My interpretation refers back to “para 2” of the laws stating “An off side player shall not take any part in the game or attempt in any way to influence the course of the game. He shall not encroach within ten metres of an opponent who is waiting for the ball and shall immediately retire ten metres from any opponent who first secures possession of the ball.”

As the player himself had retired 10m from  an opponent that first secured possession, which was at the play the ball. I think he’s inside as he has retired 10m from the PTB before influencing play.

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

My interpretation refers back to “para 2” of the laws stating “An off side player shall not take any part in the game or attempt in any way to influence the course of the game. He shall not encroach within ten metres of an opponent who is waiting for the ball and shall immediately retire ten metres from any opponent who first secures possession of the ball.”

As the player himself had retired 10m from  an opponent that first secured possession, which was at the play the ball. I think he’s inside as he has retired 10m from the PTB before influencing play.

I agree that if you apply the 10m law he was back onside.  But he was out of play when the play the ball occurred and so couldn't be placed back onside (as the qualification in the laws describes) and this is clearly written to supersede the default interpretation. 

Still a hugely brave play from Morris though as I say.

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You’ve gone back up in my ratings ?

It's what I live for ?

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that if you apply the 10m law he was back onside.  But he was out of play when the play the ball occurred and so couldn't be placed back onside (as the qualification in the laws describes) and this is clearly written to supersede the default interpretation. 

Still a hugely brave play from Morris though as I say.

It's what I live for ?

Lol, I was just finishing editing my post as well, when I saw you posted ?

Still, para 2 notes a player who is out of play will not be placed inside by a player running 10m. Morris wasn’t reliant on that rule anyway. He retired 10m from where the opponent first secured the ball.

I’ll get an answer for us and confirm.

10 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Lol, I was just finishing editing my post as well, when I saw you posted ?

Still, para 2 notes a player who is out of play will not be placed inside by a player running 10m. Morris wasn’t reliant on that rule anyway. He retired 10m from where the opponent first secured the ball.

I’ll get an answer for us and confirm.

Paragraph 3 details 5 ways in which an offside player can be placed back onside.

And then the 'out of play' note explains that none of these apply if the player was out of play at the start of the play (as Morris was). He should not have become involved until after the next play the ball.

Archived