RLWC 2021 ticket sales & schedules revealed

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Apologies it doesn’t suit you but there’s three games in a region where Rugby League is growing, in two very good grounds, with one of them (Boro) being an hour and fifteen from a major RL city in Leeds. 

Is there much League played in Middlesborough then? It would be good if there was some sort of development there off the back of the World Cup, unlike for example what happened (or didn’t happen) in Bristol last time. 

It's great to have the details out early so everyone can make plans and each town can push the games they're hosting. I would have preferred another game in London - perhaps the Australia v Fiji game on the opening day. Having it in Hull, with England playing in Newcastle earlier on means fans in that city will be forced to choose between the two and I fear both will suffer as a consequence. That said, we don't know the details on stadium availability in London, etc so it's wrong to knock them for it.

Also, I think I might have switched the venues for England v France and Tonga v Cooks. We know games v France struggle to sell in heartland areas, whereas Boro feels like the kind of place that would buy into that fixture. At the same time, the chance to see Tonga would surely interest lots of RL fans in the north west.

Only thing for me is, I don't know if I'll be back in England for this tournament. Will have to speak to the Mrs about it.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 hours ago, nadera78 said:

It's great to have the details out early so everyone can make plans and each town can push the games they're hosting. I would have preferred another game in London - perhaps the Australia v Fiji game on the opening day. Having it in Hull, with England playing in Newcastle earlier on means fans in that city will be forced to choose between the two and I fear both will suffer as a consequence. That said, we don't know the details on stadium availability in London, etc so it's wrong to knock them for it.

Also, I think I might have switched the venues for England v France and Tonga v Cooks. We know games v France struggle to sell in heartland areas, whereas Boro feels like the kind of place that would buy into that fixture. At the same time, the chance to see Tonga would surely interest lots of RL fans in the north west.

Only thing for me is, I don't know if I'll be back in England for this tournament. Will have to speak to the Mrs about it.

Yes, I think Australia v Fiji in London could have been very good. You are likely to take many RL fans out of Hull on that day, and then staging a game there in a 24k stadium. That is a risk.

There are plenty of little things like this, but there always will be as it is difficult to work through scheduling etc. 

Overall it looks pretty positive, very excited for this.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I think Australia v Fiji in London could have been very good. You are likely to take many RL fans out of Hull on that day, and then staging a game there in a 24k stadium. That is a risk.

There are plenty of little things like this, but there always will be as it is difficult to work through scheduling etc. 

If London stadiums weren’t bidding, which is fine, I’d have tried to put Australia v Italy on in Coventry on the Saturday afternoon slot rather than the Friday night slot to appeal more to the London audience, as trains from Coventry to London are frequent and relatively cheap. Friday night means it could be a tight squeeze to get back into the city centre for the train station to make the last train back to London. The schedule looks good though on the whole, so I’m not knocking it, I’m sure the organisers have their reasons. 

There is some really clever planning gone into this. As someone who will be coming up from London for games and staying overnight I like the Warrington, Leigh and St Helens arrangements over each group weekend. So close together will cut the travel costs and mean I won't need multiple accommodation bookings. 

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

There is some really clever planning gone into this. As someone who will be coming up from London for games and staying overnight I like the Warrington, Leigh and St Helens arrangements over each group weekend. So close together will cut the travel costs and mean I won't need multiple accommodation bookings. 

Yep, it's all about the weekend double headers for me, for same reasons. Obviously Newcastle in round 1, and I'm wondering if I can stitch together Sheffield/Boro in round 3. Think I'll have to watch round 2 and the quarters on TV, and then back to the grounds for the London semi and final.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I wonder if you'll be unable to apply for a tournament opener ticket if you've got a Hull postcode lol.

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I wonder if you'll be unable to apply for a tournament opener ticket if you've got a Hull postcode lol.

I'm hoping not cos I'm gonna try to get to the opener over the game at the Kcom, and unfortunately I think that could be the thoughts of a lot of fans in Hull. Still, they'll be loads that can't get up to Newcastle so let's stay optimistic about the crowd in Hull. With it not involving England, if they can get even over just 15,000 for that game I think that would be great. 

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

Is there much League played in Middlesborough then? It would be good if there was some sort of development there off the back of the World Cup, unlike for example what happened (or didn’t happen) in Bristol last time. 

Yarm have been doing well in NE Rugby League junior section for the last few years, Hartlepool Hurricanes came on the scene last year and Newcastle Thunder employed a development officer for area last year.

2 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

Yarm have been doing well in NE Rugby League junior section for the last few years, Hartlepool Hurricanes came on the scene last year and Newcastle Thunder employed a development officer for area last year.

Yep it is not about how many people play within a stone's throw of the Riverside, it is more about how accessible it is to an audience etc. The North East RL work is one of the shining lights of the game at the moment.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I suspect you will spend a lot of time posting this over the next 18 months. :kolobok_biggrin:

I have it ready for cut and paste.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

22 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

There's 5 games in the north-east, 3 at Kingston Park, 1 at St James Park and 1 at Riverside. 

Riverside is in Yorkshire, not the North East.

Just saying.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 21/07/2020 at 07:56, DoubleD said:

Just received an email with the fixtures. What was nice was that you could sync to your calendar, and then share with others. That’s a really nice and clever touch. Hats off to them

I agree, but this kind of thing has been around for yonks. 

It's nice that we seem to have a team that know where the quick and easy wins are. It bodes well. 

People called Romans they go the house

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Riverside is in Yorkshire, not the North East.

Just saying.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_East_England

North East England is one of nine official regions of England at the first level of NUTS for statistical purposes. It covers Northumberland, County Durham, Tyne and Wear, and the area of the former county of Cleveland in North Yorkshire. The region is home to three large conurbations: Teesside, Wearside, and Tyneside, the last of which is the largest of the three and the eighth most populous conurbation in the United Kingdom.[2] There are three cities in the region: Newcastle upon Tyne, the largest, with a population of just under 280,000 but a metro area population of 809,000 Sunderland, also in the metropolitan county of Tyne and Wear; and Durham. Other significant towns include Barnard Castle, Berwick Upon Tweed, Darlington, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Hexham, Middlesbrough, South Shields, Stockton-on-Tees, Washington and Yarm.

Just saying. 👍

14 hours ago, MrPosh said:

I agree, but this kind of thing has been around for yonks. 

It's nice that we seem to have a team that know where the quick and easy wins are. It bodes well. 

Yeah, we often get fed up with our sport not doing the easy stuff well, but the World Cup team seem to have their heads screwed on.

14 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_East_England

North East England is one of nine official regions of England at the first level of NUTS for statistical purposes. It covers Northumberland, County Durham, Tyne and Wear, and the area of the former county of Cleveland in North Yorkshire. The region is home to three large conurbations: Teesside, Wearside, and Tyneside, the last of which is the largest of the three and the eighth most populous conurbation in the United Kingdom.[2] There are three cities in the region: Newcastle upon Tyne, the largest, with a population of just under 280,000 but a metro area population of 809,000 Sunderland, also in the metropolitan county of Tyne and Wear; and Durham. Other significant towns include Barnard Castle, Berwick Upon Tweed, Darlington, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Hexham, Middlesbrough, South Shields, Stockton-on-Tees, Washington and Yarm.

Just saying. 👍

Middlesbrough is in Yorkshire, as is Sedburgh. Games against Middlesbrough are Yorkshire derbies. Take 1974 as gospel though and Hull is in Humberside not Yorkshire so it swings all ways.

Archived