Epicentre

It is driving me to distraction.

Epi- means surface. So, the epicentre is the location on the surface of an event occuring above or below that point.

And, as for "global pandemic'! What has become of Radio 4.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Indeed - the epicentre of an earthquake being the point on the Earth's surface closest to the hypocentre or focus of the earthquake.

Most of the time in the papers you will see the hypocentre incorrectly labelled as the epicentre, but given all the other stuff they get wrong that's fairly trivial.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Christ. We need to get out don't we? 

:kolobok_biggrin:

We need to burn down BBC Radio 4! We must form a Skype-based, socially distanced, angry mob!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Epi- means surface. So, the epicentre is the location on the surface of an event occuring above or below that point.

Don't get me started on pin number.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

51 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Depends if you were told by "A" spokesman or "The" spokesman.

You would be witty if you didn't have to keep relying on taking the pee out of me for your laughs.  Anyone can do that pet.  

10 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

You would be witty if you didn't have to keep relying on taking the pee out of me for your laughs.  Anyone can do that pet.  

You make it so easy and I can’t resist an open goal

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Or pre-order.... 

Or u-turn... 

Or Wi-Fi.. 

Or road tax.. 

?????

U-turn is a particular type of turn so I can understand ...

*** segue ****

if you want to freak out on the road.. go to Melbourne and you’ll learn about hook turns. I fear the day I use one of those intersections in Melbourne. People from interstate can be seen on the footpath just watching it in action.

This is a Melbourne hook turn sign.

88D3AA6E-C87E-4984-82D3-20836BBCB6BB.jpeg

8 hours ago, Shadow said:

And the biggest supermarket chain in the country is “Tesco” NOT “Tesco’s”

What's the plural of Lego, eh?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Copa said:

U-turn is a particular type of turn so I can understand ...

*** segue ****

if you want to freak out on the road.. go to Melbourne and you’ll learn about hook turns. I fear the day I use one of those intersections in Melbourne. People from interstate can be seen on the footpath just watching it in action.

This is a Melbourne hook turn sign.

88D3AA6E-C87E-4984-82D3-20836BBCB6BB.jpeg

U turn being the current media favourite for any change in direction, however slight the deviation.

13 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I can defiantly say that Radio 4 journalists should of done a better job in understanding the pandemic word. I aren't being a pedent, or clever, or anything like.

39 minutes ago, longboard said:

I can defiantly say that Radio 4 journalists should of done a better job in understanding the pandemic word. I aren't being a pedent, or clever, or anything like.

To all intensive purposes that's just an example of self depreciating humour, just to be pacific.

Archived