RIP Frank Myler

Rochdale Hornets Website reporting ex player and coach Frank Myler has passed away at age 81. He achieved almost everything in the game as player and coach  including leading the last GB team to win the Ashes.

Although most people will remember him for his times at Widnes and St Helens and with england and Great Britain, he transformed Rochdale Hornets from a club struggling to to keep their head above water to a team competing with the best in the top half of the first division playing attractive rugby.

He will never be forgotten in Rochdale

Frank was our hero at Widnes in the late 1950's. Remember him breaking the clubs try scoring record (38?) at that time - he had a great fend. Later I had the honour of playing against him for the Chemics when he moved on to the Saints. The picture below tells a thousand stories. Right corner maybe Percy Davies who played scrum half to Frank in the early days. The image in casuals I think was taken at the Widnes golf club where he was a top player. Bottom left scoring a try at Knowsley Road in a trial match for GB v the Rest leading up to the 1962 WC. On top that great occaison the Chemics winning at Wembley v Hull KR 1964 along side Vince Karalius. Between  them the Chairman who led them out that day Frank Devonald and a neighbour of ours at the top end of town.

FM-675x360.jpg.5dff0a8a923773c5741b53f1cd259c71.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

News confirmed earlier this morning on Radio 5. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

R'I'P' Sir

My mate (Kevin Nason) turned out for Oldham Colts against Castleford, I remember  one of the Oldham lads making a comment about another players skinny legs, Frank piped up and said "If the legs carry the man then they're big enough" I've always remembered that and used it myself a few times.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

20 minutes ago, Marauder said:

R'I'P' Sir

My mate (Kevin Nason) turned out for Oldham Colts against Castleford, I remember  one of the Oldham lads making a comment about another players skinny legs, Frank piped up and said "If the legs carry the man then they're big enough" I've always remembered that and used it myself a few times.

A classy player. He'd stand out in the modern game.

Many years ago I caddied for Frank at Widnes Golf Club.  He asked me if I fancied caddying for him at a competition in St Helens the following day. I said "Okay" and arranged to meet him at 9am outside a local newsagents. I turned up and the newsagent came out of the shop and asked me if I was supposed to be caddying for Frank Myler.  I said "Yes" at which point the newsagent handed me some money.  He told me Frank had made a mistake with the time but would pay me anyway.  He had no need to do this, he barely knew me from Adam.  He was a class act on and off the pitch.

RIP Frank.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Archived