This day 28/3/97 - Jambusters !!!!!!!

Chrome Dome

28/3/97...Derwent Park, Workington.......Workington Town 22 v Whitehaven 18....Attendance 4243.

Town scorers:  Tries - Baildon 2, J.Allen 2.

Goals - Bethwaite 3 .

Town team ;  J.Smith, Baildon, Allen, Campbell, Wallace, Brown, Stephens, Riley, Bethwaite, Phillips, Spark, Williams, Hepi....subs used - Kitchin, Penrice, Petrie, Walker.

** some unfamiliar names there ?????

Was this the first game after Ross O'reilly was relieved of his job during the week? 

Think I remember John Allen score in the corner towards the Derwent end of the main stand side to put us in front quite late.

It was a good game... don't think we were expecting much from it. 

My mate Adrian Petrie was on the bench, had pushed through from the set up. Wonder if the Walker was maybe Kent Walker, not sure. 

I recall Adrian faced up to Muliumu or Fatiolofa in tackle I think and then remembered him sort of looking into the crowd at us watching with a sort of 'what was that' look on his face! 

I liked Baildon, blonde haired Aussie , good finisher. John Allen was a talented player too.. 

Graeme 

Remember going to that game but cant hardly recall some of them names playing. Scott Brown at standoff was someone who  disappointed while here but seem to remember him throwing a couple of belting passes for tries that day. Great attendance think the jam thought they would romp it.

Was it not Scott Walker on the bench

13 minutes ago, WTRLFC WEBSITE said:

Was this the first game after Ross O'reilly was relieved of his job during the week? 

Think I remember John Allen score in the corner towards the Derwent end of the main stand side to put us in front quite late.

It was a good game... don't think we were expecting much from it. 

My mate Adrian Petrie was on the bench, had pushed through from the set up. Wonder if the Walker was maybe Kent Walker, not sure. 

I recall Adrian faced up to Muliumu or Fatiolofa in tackle I think and then remembered him sort of looking into the crowd at us watching with a sort of 'what was that' look on his face! 

I liked Baildon, blonde haired Aussie , good finisher. John Allen was a talented player too.. 

Graeme 

Yes Graeme, Ross had gone...he was a lovely guy I had great craic with him when I was involved with Town Academy team. A Town artery that produced Adrian Petrie and Mark Wallace and more. Then next coach was another Aussie Rob Tew, signed from Warrington..least said best from me.(eh Budgie???)..

I do think it was Kent Walker ... he'd been at Widnes first..could be wrong mind.(haven't put first names on my sheet for this one sadly). Baildon was a class player for sure.

23 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Remember going to that game but cant hardly recall some of them names playing. Scott Brown at standoff was someone who  disappointed while here but seem to remember him throwing a couple of belting passes for tries that day. Great attendance think the jam thought they would romp it.

Was it not Scott Walker on the bench

Apologies...I've said to Graeme it was possibly Kent Walker on bench....but 100% certain now it was indeed Scott Walker wearing No.17

Scott made 13 apps plus 8 as sub.

Just now, Town Army said:

Jamie Smith - Barrow based full back, looked a real prospect, ended up at Hull along with, Baildon, Logan Campbell and Brad Hepi.

Like said above, John Allen scored late on to win the game 

Gareth Stephens at half back - Possibly with us on loan at the time? 

Sure he played at international level for Wales?

11 minutes ago, Town Army said:

Gareth Stephens at half back - Possibly with us on loan at the time? 

Sure he played at international level for Wales?

It was Gareth Stephens he was on loan from Hull.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, WTRLFC WEBSITE said:

Hiya Graeme....Adrian was a good player with Town Academy....ask him if he can remember this pls......

At home academy matches my wife used to announce teams scorers etc. over tannoy....and when Adrian scored she would say " try scored by... Adrian pet ray.....I could probably he heard in background saying, angrily, his name is pronounced as 'pea tree'....however she never took any notice and always said it her way lol.

12 minutes ago, Chrome Dome said:

Hiya Graeme....Adrian was a good player with Town Academy....ask him if he can remember this pls......

At home academy matches my wife used to announce teams scorers etc. over tannoy....and when Adrian scored she would say " try scored by... Adrian pet ray.....I could probably he heard in background saying, angrily, his name is pronounced as 'pea tree'....however she never took any notice and always said it her way lol.

I will mate, haha deffo pea tree! ? 

10 minutes ago, Bearintown said:

First season after SL. We spent a load of money and got very little for it , finished bottom again and went into serious freefall .

Only just saved from finishing bottom (for three years on trot) the year after ,by a win over Donny on the last? day

We did actually finish bottom Kevin, with just 4 wins.....Doncaster not in same league that year.

It was a bad year, infamous for Bob Jamieson buying the club...NOT.

Think it was season we almost got chucked out of RL world.....a local wealthy garage/car sales owner put in £££££ bond to save club. Correct me if my memory is ###### pls.

5 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

We did actually finish bottom Kevin, with just 4 wins.....Doncaster not in same league that year.

Think it was season we almost got chucked out of RL world.....a local wealthy garage/car sales owner put in £££££ bond to save club. Correct me if my memory is ###### pls.

Meant Donny were in the bottom division the year after and we beat em to lose the wooden spoon lol

6 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

Uncle Bill? 

Archived