Greatest players - your top three wingers

Wakefield Ram

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Therein73 said:

Slowest winger ?? .... I'd put Michael Hunte aa clear at the top of that pile ??

Oddly enough my memories of him were playing at prop for us when things were really bad, and I mean really bad. He did a lot to help the club at the time, including acting as stand in coach for a couple of games, yet never seemed to get any recognition for it at the time nor since; I wonder why that was?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

To clarify.... My mention of Michael Hunte was not meant disrespectfully ..... He was so heavily bandaged when he played on the wing he would never have been quick .... But, yes, i remember he was a massive help to the club in very poor times .... And I, at least, remember him with respect and admiration for that .... 

9 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

To clarify.... My mention of Michael Hunte was not meant disrespectfully ..... He was so heavily bandaged when he played on the wing he would never have been quick .... But, yes, i remember he was a massive help to the club in very poor times .... And I, at least, remember him with respect and admiration for that .... 

Agreed! .. hence my post one leg! .. Ive never seen a leg with so much strapping!

1. Eddie Rombo (Legend)

2. Dennis Bailey

3. Brynn Powell (is superman)

Others worth mentioning; Alex Godfrey, Eric Kibe, Adrian Flynn, Austin Buchannan, Matt Bramald (ripped Huddersfield apart on his debut for us), Kane Epati, Darren Rogers, Richard Arrowsmith

1 hour ago, DewsburyRams4ever said:

1. Eddie Rombo (Legend)

2. Dennis Bailey

3. Brynn Powell (is superman)

Others worth mentioning; Alex Godfrey, Eric Kibe, Adrian Flynn, Austin Buchannan, Matt Bramald (ripped Huddersfield apart on his debut for us), Kane Epati, Darren Rogers, Richard Arrowsmith

Craig Miles - fast, and a good winger on his day. And incredibly popular in Batley.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

On 30/03/2020 at 20:00, Burnley Ram said:

For me it's 

Eddie Rombo

Dennis Bailey

Jeff Yoward

With mentions for Austin Buchanan, Alex Godfrey, Darren Rogers

Adrian Flynn and from the 60's Kevin Osbourne and Brian Firth

Kev Osborne and Brian Firth were co-centres, work colleagues and mates and for me, if we get to favourite centres, those two and Nigel. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

13 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Kev Osborne and Brian Firth were co-centres, work colleagues and mates and for me, if we get to favourite centres, those two and Nigel. 

Centres coming up.....just trying to spread it out as looks like a few months without rugby at best

17 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Thought Ozzy was a winger - seem to remember (pre Nigel), it was Firth and somebody called Nicholson (Tony ??) at centre and Ozzy and  Willie Walker on the wing ? Course it could be my age - I saw Elvis in the chip shop yesterday.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

7 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Thought Ozzy was a winger - seem to remember (pre Nigel), it was Firth and somebody called Nicholson (Tony ??) at centre and Ozzy and  Willie Walker on the wing ? Course it could be my age - I saw Elvis in the chip shop yesterday.

Grumpy, it’s highly likely that they did play on the wing, but I recall them as Firth at right centre and Ozzy on the left, he the master of stepping well forward at the ptb. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

17 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Grumpy, it’s highly likely that they did play on the wing, but I recall them as Firth at right centre and Ozzy on the left, he the master of stepping well forward at the ptb. 

That made me laugh, I'd forgotten Osborne always took a step forward at the ptb. He was ahead of his time in that sense. I only saw him when he made a brief comeback in mid 70s

1 minute ago, the old nine ole said:

Mick Snee is a Dewsbury lad ... I think he was St John Fisher .... we used to kick a ball about at Dewsbury park ... he was pretty quick!

How about Dewsbury born wingers - Dave Smith, Dave Redfearn and recently Johnny Campbell - all quick. Any others ?

George Bernard Shaw.

9 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

How about Dewsbury born wingers - Dave Smith, Dave Redfearn and recently Johnny Campbell - all quick. Any others ?

Some bloke called Sullivan wasn't there?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Some bloke called Sullivan wasn't there?

Sorry BSJ, if it’s Mick to whom you refer, he was born in Pudsey, but I’ll give you it as he played his amateur stuff locally. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Archived