Greatest players - your top three wingers

Wakefield Ram

Well, this is a position where we didn't seem to have that many contenders but here goes

1. Eddie Rombo - yes who can forget Eddie? He could score from anywhere, starting with his first touch of the ball against Scarborough Pirates which I watched in the now closed Duke of York pub in Wakefield on British Aerospace TV (what were they thinking?) Power, pace and could sidestep off both feet. Scored 5 tries in a game against Chorley/Trafford? Best try I remember was collecting a kick into our in goal and beating 3-4 Hunslet players to race the length of the Elland Road pitch being backed up by.....

2. Dennis Bailey. Scored 100 tries for us and like Eddie could score from nothing. Fast, great sidestep and a finishers instinct for a try. Best try I remember v Batley 1988? evening game at Crown Flatt spun round and found a gap to run 50m uphill to score....and it was against Batley.

3. Adrian Flynn. Member of 2000 GF winners and powerful runner and quick. Came from Wakefield and dad of Niall who played for us last season.

Others considered, Bryn Powell (how hard did he run) Andy Ramsden, Dale Morton, Darren Rogers and sure there's plenty I have forgotten.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

1. Eddie Rombo - yes who can forget Eddie? He could score from anywhere, starting with his first touch of the ball against Scarborough Pirates which I watched in the now closed Duke of York pub in Wakefield on British Aerospace TV (what were they thinking?) Power, pace and could sidestep off both feet. Scored 5 tries in a game against Chorley/Trafford? Best try I remember was collecting a kick into our in goal and beating 3-4 Hunslet players to race the length of the Elland Road pitch being backed up by.....

2. Dennis Bailey. Scored 100 tries for us and like Eddie could score from nothing. Fast, great sidestep and a finishers instinct for a try. Best try I remember v Batley 1988? evening game at Crown Flatt spun round and found a gap to run 50m uphill to.

Thanks for those clips.  Best 6 minutes I’ve had since this blooming virus arrived.  Great to see the one at Elland Road again. I remember that like it was yesterday. 
What a team that was.  More offloads in that 6 mins than all last season and what a way to play rugby.  Eddie finished those in the clips but some great support play. Easily my favourite team of all time.  
I remember Dennis Baileys try at Batley you mentioned. Fantastic 

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Ah yes Shaun Dunford, he was a good player, remember him scoring a great try v Swinton?  on ITVs RL Action programme

John Hegarty was really talented player but fairly sure he played mostly at centre??

Hegarty was normally a stand off but played against Leeds on the wing I believe.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Therein73 said:

Plenty to choose from, no doubt about that.... My top3:

Greg Ashcroft

John Hegarty

Bryn Powell

Honourable mentions to Ramsden, Flynn, Rogers, Dunford, Bailey & Rombo

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned possibly our third fastest winger in my fifty odd years of support - Powderhall sprinter Jeff Yoward, and that was in the days of generally pedestrian Dewsbury backs. Never won anything in the Rombo years, but they were without doubt my happiest days. Who was the slowest winger ever ? Had to be the lad who came in the three for the price of one deal with Cas using the Mick Stevenson transfer money. 

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

1. Eddie Rombo - outstanding

2. Dennis Bailey - great player and tryscorer in two spells with us

3. Andrew Ramsden - scored tries in the days when it wasn't so easy to do so.

Many others to consider - Malcolm Agar, Shaun Dunford, Darren Rogers, Bryn Powell, Michael Wainwright amongst them

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned possibly our third fastest winger in my fifty odd years of support - Powderhall sprinter Jeff Yoward, and that was in the days of generally pedestrian Dewsbury backs. Never won anything in the Rombo years, but they were without doubt my happiest days. Who was the slowest winger ever ? Had to be the lad who came in the three for the price of one deal with Cas using the Mick Stevenson transfer money. 

Steve Brunyee, Terry (?) Biscombe and......who else?

1.Got to be Eddie Rombo, who would have thought a Monday night in Scarborough would launch the hero Eagle. 

2. Dennis Bailey, could have been an international, better than Henderson Gill in my opinion. 

3. Andrew Ramsden, strong and a great finisher. 

Others inc, Flynn,Dunford, Mal Agar ,Powell and one John Eastwood, didn't play for us long ,joined the Police I think, but scored 2 amazing tries to beat York in the Yorkshire cup at Crown Flatt.

15 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Steve Brunyee, Terry (?) Biscombe and......who else?

Ben Fowler - they were all useless, Biscombe got injured first match and never played again and Brunyee was the pick of a poor bunch.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Yes has to be Eddie Rombo at one for me. Bryn Powell at two, not just for his pace but his strength and clearing the line. Dennis Bailey at three. Others to consider. Lets not forget Austin Buchanan and can't remember if Kane Epati played on the wing but I remember him scoring against Hunslet at home with a bad leg and still leaving all the defence in his wake.

42 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

1 Eddie Rombo 

2Dennis Bailey

3 Greg Ashcroft

others to consider: Andrew Ransden, Shaun Dunford, Jeff Yowerd, Ernie Lowe, Tony Laycock, John Eastwood. 

No Karl Pryce?

Reading this thread we’re had some damn good wingers.  
The thing with Eddie and Dennis for me was not just that they were  good wingers but they were entertaining and there was always a buzz  of anticipation when they got the ball.  We’ve had many solid wingers like Dale but you never quite got that quickening of the pulse when he got the ball.   Worrincy was similar to Eddie and  Dennis in that respect but don’t think we’d be describing him as “solid” 

with Eddie and Dennis you can add in the interaction with the crowd too.  Both Of them were quick to wave or flash a smile  and who can forget “Eddie, Eddie, Eddie”.  What a song that was??

Wingers of yore were always judged simply upon their tryscoring expertise, often from distance, whereas, according to this forum at least, their defensive abilities are now more important. I believe that this also represents the changes that we have seen in the game. The time was when we would comment upon a winger being good defensively as being something exceptional, with the expectation being that wingers would never be any good defensively. (A different code but I can't remember Stanley Matthews backtracking too often.)

Another feature (and one why I reckon that Martin Offiah was the best that I ever saw) is the player's ability to catch a ball wherever it was passed - ears, ankles and all parts in between. I do remember, for example, Garry Mitchell who was a great finisher and pretty quick with it as well yet who would drop the ball, with such frequency people actually stopped groaning when he did.

In other words it isn't just pace that makes a good winger but a whole set of attributes and today these are even more demanding.

They always seemed faster when I was young.... and I base my judgement on entertainment value!

Greg Ashcroft  ..... sheer pace .. unstoppable when he caught it ..... a bit like Rob Worrincey in that he could be a liability ....  but I think he is the fastest winger I've seen in the Red Amber and Black!

Malcolm Agar ....... Spectacular runs .. many long range scores! .. incredibly quick off the mark  gutted when we sold him!

Geoff Marsh .....  I was only a kid but he was my first hero ... scored some great trys  .. fast and elusive!

Archived