Which Sydney club must go

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Does anybody have any idea how many of the Balmain Tigers immediately jumped to support the Wests Tigers when they merged. I would hazard a guess as not very many. I know one of Balmains best known supporters who had supported them basically all his life, Laurie Nicholls, the guy who used to lead the Aussies out in the tours in the U.K. with his vest on in whatever the weather,swore he would never watch his beloved Balmain ever again when they merged.

I do believe he eventually relented after several years and was persuaded to go again by his great friend Artie Beetson.How long he carried on though I would not know.I believe he actually died around 20 years ago now .

Actually, because in the early days they were basically just a continuation of Balmain the Wests Tigers early fan base was made up mainly of Balmain fans. It was mainly Magpies fans that they lost in the early days.

But the key point about the Wests Tigers is that a generation later probably over half of their fan base isn't connected with either Balmain or Western Suburbs, and are purely Wests Tigers fans.

6 hours ago, eal said:

If you cull teams you have to be willing to accept that you are culling supporters also. I am a Sydney Roosters fan, if they are culled I stop supporting a team, I am not going to suddenly support the Central Coast Roosters or the Southeastern Rooster-Rabbits. Yes there are probably too many Sydney teams for a modern-day competition, but sometimes you work with the hand history has dealt you. If a team falls over financially on its own you could argue for not saving it but to actively cull a Sydney team is madness and just brings the game back to the dark days of the late 90s.

If it was done sensibly the teams would just be dropped into a lower tier where they are competitive and sustainable. So the Roosters would still exist more or less exactly as they do now, but they'd be playing in the NSW Cup instead of the NRL.

If you'd still leave the game just because your team dropped down a tier, then firstly you weren't much of a fan to begin with , and secondly, fine we'll replace you with a guy from Perth or two guys from Brisbane,  and after a generation of heavy marketing and community engagement we'll have your kids and/or grandchildren supporting the Rabbitohs or another club.

You can say that if a club folds that they shouldn't be saved, and every administration I can remember going back to Kevin Humphreys in the 70s has said the same thing, but when push came to shove all of them, except one, bailed out the teams that were folding.

5 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Actually, because in the early days they were basically just a continuation of Balmain the Wests Tigers early fan base was made up mainly of Balmain fans. It was mainly Magpies fans that they lost in the early days.

But the key point about the Wests Tigers is that a generation later probably over half of their fan base isn't connected with either Balmain or Western Suburbs, and are purely Wests Tigers fans.

Thats true, for my generation Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies sound a bit like 80s throwbacks.

Its Wests Tigers now and has been for 20 years.

Here we go, this topic again, with @scotchy and @The Great Dane going on ad nauseam about how Sydney is saturated. Promoting a larger footprint rather than actual expansion because for some unbeknown reason, expansion whilst retaining the existing Sydney clubs is for somehow impossible.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats true, for my generation Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies sound a bit like 80s throwbacks.

Its Wests Tigers now and has been for 20 years.

Any Warringah fans about owadays?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

If it was done sensibly the teams would just be dropped into a lower tier where they are competitive and sustainable. So the Roosters would still exist more or less exactly as they do now, but they'd be playing in the NSW Cup instead of the NRL.

If you'd still leave the game just because your team dropped down a tier, then firstly you weren't much of a fan to begin with , and secondly, fine we'll replace you with a guy from Perth or two guys from Brisbane,  and after a generation of heavy marketing and community engagement we'll have your kids and/or grandchildren supporting the Rabbitohs or another club.

You can say that if a club folds that they shouldn't be saved, and every administration I can remember going back to Kevin Humphreys in the 70s has said the same thing, but when push came to shove all of them, except one, bailed out the teams that were folding.

The Roosters are more than competitive in the NRL so why would anyone want to relegate them?

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The Roosters are more than competitive in the NRL so why would anyone want to relegate them?

If we have to follow through with this obsession some fans of our game have of strategising which Rugby League clubs should be killed off then the assessment should be of their long-term viability rather than their short-term competitiveness. Reliance on one rich owner is also unhelpful.

When posters here say Sydney is saturated it sounds like more Clubs have started in Sydney in recent times.

There have been no new Clubs in decades.

Wests and Balmain were forced together.

St George and Illawarra were forced together.

North Sydney was pushed into a partnership with Manly and it killed them.

Newtown were killed off.

South Sydney were kicked out but fought there way back in, without their cashed up benefactors they would have been dead years ago.

The “Market” will find its own level and Clubs will survive or fail dependent on their ability to survive.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

If sydney werent saturated then clubs wouldnt be playing in largely empty stadiums and wouldnt be in financial trouble despite getting a central grant 130% of the amount they pay in wages.

The reason the NRL cant expand whilst retaining all the existing sydney clubs is because there arent enough fans in sydney to sustain it.

But, new clubs in new markets brings new money to the game but but.

Bigger TV deals but but. 

More sponsors but.

More fans but but.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

4 straw men in one post! I think you win a prize 

? true.

The point stands. If these new clubs in new markets are going to bring new sponsors and new fans, they will do that with or without reducing Sydney clubs.

It’s purported that new teams in Perth, Brisbane and NZ will bring a bigger TV deal. As if that is some sort of justification for culling a Sydney club. 

Baffling.

14 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

But that wasnt what i said. 

Sydney cannot sustain 9 teams on its own merits, regardless of whether or not teams in other places would grow the tv deal and support base. 

Which English teams could be culled or merged as some struggle to get a crowd and have poor stadiums and add little or nothing to a TV deal?

You could throw an Indian Rug over several of them as they are that close together, in some cases closer than the Sydney suburban teams.

Everyone is an Armchair expert from a long way away.

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yes many do, and yes you could. 

Who do you think could be culled from Super League and who would replace them?

Lets say keep it down to four - six teams to prevent a bloodbath

8 minutes ago, Allora said:

Who do you think could be culled from Super League and who would replace them?

Lets say keep it down to four - six teams to prevent a bloodbath

This is why us ' normal ' fans don't offer opinions on how other areas leagues should be structured , we don't know enough about it , and it isn't our concern ( ie these clubs have fans who are part of the club ) 

Maybe more should follow that mantra 

And that includes you , yes YOU 

10 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The question with SL is whether we have anyone ready to step up and replace them.

But the usual suspects would be at threat, Salford, wakefield, cas, hull KR, Hudson 

Who is Hudson?

The NRL does not have cashed up Clubs to replace Manly or Cronulla.
A second Brisbane team would automatically do ok, beyond that...
Perth or Adelaide would need propping up for a few years.

The one team in NZ struggle to make any money or develop the game there in the Countries biggest city.

Melbourne is the second largest city in Australia and Newscorp financed them for 15 years to stay viable.

3 hours ago, M j M said:

If we have to follow through with this obsession some fans of our game have of strategising which Rugby League clubs should be killed off then the assessment should be of their long-term viability rather than their short-term competitiveness. Reliance on one rich owner is also unhelpful.

Great, can we get rid of Man City and Chelsea from the Premier League too?

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

But that wasnt what i said. 

Sydney cannot sustain 9 teams on its own merits, regardless of whether or not teams in other places would grow the tv deal and support base. 

It is sustaining them now. 

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Sydney isnt. The NRL providing 130% of the salary cap is. And even then, only just in some cases. 

I love how some people like to pretend that the TV money earned by the clubs appearing on TV isn't somehow legitimate income for those clubs. It's not a handout any more than selling any other commercial property in the game is - the clubs earn that money and in turn pay players large amounts based on that income.

11 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Sydney isnt. The NRL providing 130% of the salary cap is. And even then, only just in some cases. 

In that case no clubs other than the Broncos are thriving, you might as well close them all down and stop playing rugby league in Australia. 

56 minutes ago, M j M said:

I love how some people like to pretend that the TV money earned by the clubs appearing on TV isn't somehow legitimate income for those clubs. It's not a handout any more than selling any other commercial property in the game is - the clubs earn that money and in turn pay players large amounts based on that income.

Believe me Scotchy has made that very point tenfold more than your good self has even thought it , but this time to suit his aim of trying to appear ' superior ' , he is happy to argue the opposite ?

Love it ?

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It is, the only club who wouldn’t be losing loads of money without TV money are Brisbane. 

But they would , because without the other clubs to play , nobody would bother watching them ?

Archived