#RamsRewind

DewsburyRamsOfficial

It's interesting to see how quick the PTB's took place as compared to today, and how quickly the scrums came together.... Also, can you imagine the rave reviews Trevor Lowe would have got for the amount of offloads he did... But there again, props played for 80 minutes then. Great team, great times !!! 

The ref wasn't getting constant abuse either. How many knock-ons at the ptb did you see, and were you bothered?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It was great to see this again. Some of the set moves that side came up with were outrageous indeed. It would be easy to think that any side could develop such moves, until you remember just how many really clever footballers there were in that side. Both Stivvies for a start, but then both half backs too. I always thought Alan Agar was a bit of an unsung hero in that side. John Clark was as smart a centre as you could find and, to top that, over half of the pack besides Mick Stephenson were ball handlers, namely John Bates, Jeff Grayshon and Trevor Lowe. Not to take anything away from Beverly or Whittington, who added such steel to the forwards, neither ever taking a backward step.

It was strange that Eddie Waring mentioned umpteen times that Nigel and Mick were 'no relation' but I never heard him say that John and Alan Bates were brothers, or did I miss it.

Thanks to the club for making this memory available.

23 minutes ago, STEVE P said:

It was great to see this again. Some of the set moves that side came up with were outrageous indeed. It would be easy to think that any side could develop such moves, until you remember just how many really clever footballers there were in that side. Both Stivvies for a start, but then both half backs too. I always thought Alan Agar was a bit of an unsung hero in that side. John Clark was as smart a centre as you could find and, to top that, over half of the pack besides Mick Stephenson were ball handlers, namely John Bates, Jeff Grayshon and Trevor Lowe. Not to take anything away from Beverly or Whittington, who added such steel to the forwards, neither ever taking a backward step.

It was strange that Eddie Waring mentioned umpteen times that Nigel and Mick were 'no relation' but I never heard him say that John and Alan Bates were brothers, or did I miss it.

Thanks to the club for making this memory available.

I bought my DVD of this game from the club shop a few years ago. No doubt, when it reopens, they will still have some available.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I bought my DVD of this game from the club shop a few years ago. No doubt, when it reopens, they will still have some available.

Think I have it on tape somewhere. My Betamax player is not so good these days though.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Really enjoyed that, and great to see some of my views on some of those players proven. Great kicking game from the half backs and what a player Mick Stephenson was. He would not look out of place in today's game. All the better for beating a pretty good Leeds team too.

Archived