"RFL will take back power 'through the backdoor' "

4 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

How reliable do people think that the 'Hull Daily Mail' is?

Its not the Hull Daily Mail" it's The Daily Mail where there is an article with a quote from an unnamed Super League Club Chairman....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/article-8164483/Coronavirus-UK-Super-League-clubs-told-reunite-Rugby-Football-League.html#comments

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Occurred to me the other day when listening to Sky’s Golden Point podcast that Robert Elstone might be made redundant. He’s certainly been sidelined.

I hope Elstone stays on as Super League needs someone to do the negotiating with Sky and lead the commercial and marketing etc.

The RFL may well hold the whip hand at the moment but frankly they are hopeless at running Super League.

The point that was made in the article - and I believe it is a valid one - is that the Government probably aren't going to give a massive financial package simply to 'save Super league'.

But they might well give that same package to 'save Rugby League' - which means clubs at all levels, right down to the community game.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Rimmer’s getting credit for stuff? From who?

From a significant number of club chairmen if what I read is crrect.

It was also rumoured before this crisis that there was considerable disillusionment amongst a number of SL leaders with the performance of SL with the inference being that one particular chairman had more influence than anyone else. Will adversity bring the SL clubs closer together or will it drive them apart?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

The point that was made in the article - and I believe it is a valid one - is that the Government probably aren't going to give a massive financial package simply to 'save Super league'.

But they might well give that same package to 'save Rugby League' - which means clubs at all levels, right down to the community game.

Indeed, and the SL clubs have much bigger problems than the rest. It could get messy!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Thats fair enough, but what is the massive financial gap that needs filling in the community game, or even the lower end of the semi pro game?

Sure, the community game is dormant, but most of the activity is voluntary anyway, so it's easy enough to start back up when social gathering is allowed. Indeed it may be allowed to comeback earlier. 

It's Superleague and the Championship where potentially millions of pounds of revenue - which pays hundreds of peoples wages - has been shut off. So if the bailout is intended to make up for lost revenue, that's where the lost revenue is. Where else would it go? 

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Thats fair enough, but what is the massive financial gap that needs filling in the community game, or even the lower end of the semi pro game?

Sure, the community game is dormant, but most of the activity is voluntary anyway, so it's easy enough to start back up when social gathering is allowed. Indeed it may be allowed to comeback earlier. 

It's Superleague and the Championship where potentially millions of pounds of revenue - which pays hundreds of peoples wages - has been shut off. So if the bailout is intended to make up for lost revenue, that's where the lost revenue is. Where else would it go? 

Rents, rates, electricity bills, ground maintenance etc. It isn't just 17 fat lads on a council pitch.

And where does it say that any bailout is intended to replace lost revenue? I can't imagine anyone being happy to be told that government funds were going to be made available to pay generous sporting contracts.

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I see what you're saying Toby. I suspect there will be at least some community clubs that actually will be running into financial troubles, albeit at lower levels of money. For example, those clubs who rely on income from a clubhouse, bar takings, or things like '100 clubs' or raffles or simply subs from people.

But I think the broader issue is that the Government will be more likely to respond positively to the RFL - who represent a broader constituency, with much more 'participants', than 12 SL clubs who only really care about themselves to be honest.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Occurred to me the other day when listening to Sky’s Golden Point podcast that Robert Elstone might be made redundant. He’s certainly been sidelined.

I hope Elstone stays on as Super League needs someone to do the negotiating with Sky and lead the commercial and marketing etc.

The RFL may well hold the whip hand at the moment but frankly they are hopeless at running Super League.

Well he hasn't been much better.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

What?  You want the guy who screwed up the deal which Catalans had with BeIN Sports to handle negotiations and lead the commercial and marketing part of things???  Oh vey!

16 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

What?  You want the guy who screwed up the deal which Catalans had with BeIN Sports to handle negotiations and lead the commercial and marketing part of things???  Oh vey!

Wasn't much of a deal. Seemed an Eddie Stobart type effort.

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Wasn't much of a deal. Seemed an Eddie Stobart type effort.

It was a paying contract for them, and realistically it paid the French market value of a league where most of the visiting teams are in places unknown to the French public and when they go to France to play they play in a small town which is likely also unknown to the bulk of the French public.

7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It was a paying contract for them, and realistically it paid the French market value of a league where most of the visiting teams are in places unknown to the French public and when they go to France to play they play in a small town which is likely also unknown to the bulk of the French public.

Worth a bag of balls and a bottle of Piat D’Or, non?

Besides, weren't Catalans on the verge of being on a renowned free to air network  before crisis struck...?

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Bloomin'  'eck! There's a huge amount of attempted reading between the lines going on here, interpretation and misinterpretation,  hope, axe grinding etc.

Heppenstall? Cramer? Who? 

It's all entertaining stuff when there's no up to date rugby to watch.

RFL doing a lot more support work since they were released from the problems of SL., especially on line and digitally direct to the community clubs. Recent one' s being  to help source Government and Local Authority funding caused by the coronavirus close down.

As for  Richard Cramer  he is the head of Front Row Legal. He knows a bit about TGG. and presumably works in circles where you'd love to be a fly on the wall. He was the go to and successful lawyer for Maurice Oldroyd when Barla sacked him  , for the NCL when a club took them to the High Court in Leeds and more recently looked after the interests of top whisler Ben Thaler......

Archived