Whatever happened to?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Poower Lad said:

Leroy Rivit

Looking at his Wikipedia entry, he's gone through more clubs than a Canadian seal-hunter.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 03/04/2020 at 19:03, Hullfan said:

I was referring to him as a player when I said what did the barrow fans think of him, lol

He was quite a good player at our level when he wanted to be but occasionally had days where he looked uninterested and did not bother trying

44 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Lee Smith, left for rugby union and didn’t come back the same player. Wikipedia says he was playing at Carnegie last

He had a cracking season just before he left and as you say didn't look the same at all when he came back. I do have the feeling though that he was one of those that benefited from playing in a very good team, which wasn't the case when he came back. Same with Chev Walker.

• 1 month later...
On 13/04/2020 at 10:02, Mr Plow said:

Lee Smith, left for rugby union and didn’t come back the same player. Wikipedia says he was playing at Carnegie last

His original spell was during the RL off season I think and he probably only missed one season second time around? He had a decent season at Leigh in our promotion winning team in 2016 but wasn’t ever likely to be in our Super League plans. 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Another one who came to mind was Michael Platt. He seemed to vanish off the scenes from Bradford along with Stuart Reardon

Platt ended up travelling around a few clubs...

Salford, North Wales, Barrow, Dewsbury, Leigh up until 2017 - still ‘only’ 36. 

Two high profile players who seemed to quietly slip away from the game after stellar careers were Simon Manwaring and Jason Nightingale. Both high profile NRL and New Zealand internationals who's names just vanished from the news and team selections.

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

Platt ended up travelling around a few clubs...

Salford, North Wales, Barrow, Dewsbury, Leigh up until 2017 - still ‘only’ 36. 

Looking at wiki, he didn’t play many games after leaving Bradford in 2013 when he would’ve been 29....... only a handful in fact. Was he plagued by injuries?

11 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Two high profile players who seemed to quietly slip away from the game after stellar careers were Simon Manwaring and Jason Nightingale. Both high profile NRL and New Zealand internationals who's names just vanished from the news and team selections.

Mannering retired not sure about Nightingale but prob the same.  1 club players.

On 02/04/2020 at 21:56, Mumby Magic said:

Loads at Bradford. We know what happened to him but Karl Pryce could have won international caps. Andy Hodgson. Joe Tamani. Aaron Smith to start with.

Elsewhere Danny Arnold 

We signed both Danny Arnold and Chris Morley and I couldnt believe they had won titles at Saints. Totally out of their confort zone lower down the leagues.

On 04/04/2020 at 16:35, Father Ted said:

Danny Ellison, scored a hat trick in the 1996 Prem Final.

I think I remember Ellison signing for Fax. I remember him not playing very well in a game for us but thats about it.

This reminds me of the sad story of Mick Shaw, on the transfer list at 250k to been released playing a few games for Fax before going back to the amateur game and then sadly taking his own life.

16 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Mannering is coaching at the Warriors. He only retired 18 months ago.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

16 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Both had pretty decent send offs in 2018 after long, high profile careers. Mannering in particular had a well documented and high profile retirement season with guards of honor and the lot. Just type Simon Mannering retirement into Google.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 24/05/2020 at 16:38, DoubleD said:

Another one came up whilst watching the Magic classics ..............Nathan Ashe? 

There's a funny wikipedia entry about him.

3736-mipm.gif

On 06/04/2020 at 07:54, welshmagpie said:

James Mendeika.

ex-Bradford and Ireland 

That's a good one. I assume injury as he had a couple of bad ones. He was pretty good at Fev briefly then left for Bradford I think. Didn't hear much from him again.

3736-mipm.gif

On 06/04/2020 at 12:54, welshmagpie said:

James Mendeika.

ex-Bradford and Ireland 

He was at Fev for a bit and I believe he did his cruicates (or had a serious injury), must have struggled to get back into it.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

We signed both Danny Arnold and Chris Morley and I couldnt believe they had won titles at Saints. Totally out of their confort zone lower down the leagues.

I think I remember Ellison signing for Fax. I remember him not playing very well in a game for us but thats about it.

This reminds me of the sad story of Mick Shaw, on the transfer list at 250k to been released playing a few games for Fax before going back to the amateur game and then sadly taking his own life.

Danny Arnold played the last few games in the 2004 season for Chorley Lynx including the last ever game v York. 

From memory he played well in those games having done so to help the coach Mark Lee. 

Archived