NRL / Super League Merger

From what I’ve read in this forum it’s clear that both the NRL and especially SL are bankrupt, haemorrhaging fans and are dying a slow and painful death; so I’ve come up with a plan based on what everybody thinks. Basically it’s to merge the two competitions so we get massive global TV deals, destroy Union and rival football; to do that we have two conferences. 

Southern Conference - Basically the current NRL but get rid of five of the 9 Sydney teams as they are unsustainable and replace them with Perth, another NZ team, Brisbane II, Adelaide and a team from South Africa. Below that will be a second tier comprised of the five displaced Sydney teams, a team from each of PNG, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji, two from South Africa and the strongest QLD and NSW cup teams. 

Northern Conference - London, Leeds, Salford (renamed Manchester), Newcastle, Wigan, Saints (renamed Liverpool), Wire (relocated to Birmingham), Hull FC, Sheffield Eagles, Bristol, Catalans, Toulouse, Lyon, Toronto, Ottawa and New York. Below this would also be a second tier with one conference for the meaningless small northern town teams and another for aspiring giants of the game (Valencia, Barcelona,  Jacksonville, Coventry, London Skolars, Red Star, Boston, Amsterdam etc) who would be promoted when their balance sheet was strong enough, to replace the least financially viable team from the top tier - as long as that’s not London or Toulouse. Nobody from the Northern tier 2 conference could ever get promoted.

What do you think - would this work?

Self-isolation can turn some folk crazy earlier than others.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'd love the NRL and SL to merge. There is a possibility of huge gains from it.

You can almost double the content of both products without employing any more players which obviously would increase the value of TV rights. I think the prestige of the NRL would increase the prestige of SL. Plus it would be a fantastic product.

There would be some difficulties around getting SL up to standard.

Wouldnt look anything like that obvious troll though 

Are you actually serious?

Forty20 magazine proposed this in their most recent production. Think it was two eights each side of the hemisphere. In principle, there’s some positives about it and you could see how both could align for the good of the game here and Internationally. 

That said, two loss making organisations merging doesn’t make one money making organisation. Also, if there isn’t enough money to go around 28 clubs, I’m not sure how you could propose such an idea with as many clubs as that, you’d almost certainly have to lose clubs. 

Merger? Yeah, why not?

Of course all the games would be played in Aus, to cut down on travel.

Teams can share grounds, say Wests Tigers and Castleford. Hey, they could merge as well!

Sorry, got to go. The nurse wants me back in my room.?

22 hours ago, doc said:

Merger? Yeah, why not?

Of course all the games would be played in Aus, to cut down on travel.

Teams can share grounds, say Wests Tigers and Castleford. Hey, they could merge as well!

Sorry, got to go. The nurse wants me back in my room.?

I like the merger idea, a bit like the Dragons, or Huddersfield/Sheffield only further distances so more fans. There are plenty of natural fits. 

Wigan and New Zealand Warriors

Cronulla and Hull Sharks

Saint George Helens (no need to argue about the kit)

Wakefield Penrith Wildcats (Trinity has to go it’s so passé). 

37 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Leagues are made up of conferences.

St George Hotel Giant Dragoons?

Cronulla-Cumberland-Sutherland-Warringah Sea Sharks

The Barrow Canberra Raiders. They could alternate games between the GIO and Craven Park. 

Just now, Eddie said:

The Barrow Canberra Raiders. They could alternate games between the GIO and Craven Park. 

Aye, two home games in Barrow then two in Canberra. As long as they have green jerseys with blue and white chevrons.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I like the merger idea, a bit like the Dragons, or Huddersfield/Sheffield only further distances so more fans. There are plenty of natural fits. 

Wigan and New Zealand Warriors

Cronulla and Hull Sharks

Saint George Helens (no need to argue about the kit)

Wakefield Penrith Wildcats (Trinity has to go it’s so passé). 

Brisbane and Beeston Broncos, a bit of competition for Leeds Rhinos!

On 31/03/2020 at 03:23, Eddie said:

. Southern Conference - Basically the current NRL but get rid of five of the 9 Sydney teams as they are unsustainable

Those clubs you suggest are unsustainable, are no more unsustainable than clubs with a rich owner.

27 minutes ago, Ooh Ah Timmy Street said:

What have Warrington done so wrong to mean they are relocated to Birmingham?  Is it closer to Stuart Pearce’s house ? 

They’re from an insignificant Northern town that nobody has ever heard of or cares about, so for the sake of a global TV deal they have to go, sorry. To make sure they get fans from all over the West Midlands they’ll be called the Birmingham Villa Baggie Wolves. 

Amazing response from lots on this one.

A merger would mean World League, a managenment group for the whole sport. One set of rules and one source for deciding on development, expansion& international calendars . It would have quite a negotiating strength when it came to TV and kit deals.

In other words it would have loads of strengths we don't at the moment as well as all the weaknesses that go along with a Global company so the moaners would still have huge sums of things to ...er, moan about.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Amazing response from lots on this one.

A merger would mean World League, a managenment group for the whole sport. One set of rules and one source for deciding on development, expansion& international calendars . It would have quite a negotiating strength when it came to TV and kit deals.

In other words it would have loads of strengths we don't at the moment as well as all the weaknesses that go along with a Global company so the moaners would still have huge sums of things to ...er, moan about.

You’d need to bring our salary cap up to the unsustainable levels of the NRL, which is a non-starter. We’d be, as we are now, a secondary competition. 

In principle, there’s a lot of positives to bringing together the two major leagues on the planet but the two have many of their own problems at present and going forward. 

16 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

In principle, there’s a lot of positives to bringing together the two

I think the point is the TGG fans obsessive need to find the negative and a trillion reasons for not doing something.

But on the face of it bringing League under one administrative roof would prove to be the last straw for the Brexit lovin' folk in't North.

And as for having the pink part of the map we reserved for criminals, ne'er do wells and scallywags come back to take control that might be a bridge too far too.

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

But what abart away fans!

'Ows tha s'posed to get t'Melbourne after werk on a Fridy neet? As tha seen t'm62 on a Fridy?

Mornin' scotchy hope you're well and everyone at yours.

I appreciated your post.

On an organisational and management level having control of the whole sport makes perfect sense, but the idea of Batley v Storm on a Friday in February does seem appealing to me, especially as it would be a guaranteed two points for the Bulldogs and lots of predictable excuses from the whinging Diggers. Magic Saturday reading and posting sorted, how good would that be?

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Did you honestly think this thread is meant to be serious?

Yes I did. I read about half of the post and made the judgement it was trash ? 

In my defence, there are plenty of similar themed threads on this forum written with honesty.

Archived