Dewsbury 1982 tv game

Ramboy

The RL Cares Facebook account is showing highlights of the 1982 game v Swinton ,footage is from RL Action programme. Some great tries inc  a Shaun Dunford wonderful effort in the top corner. Worth a watch just to bionic Jack Austin again.

Shaun Dunford couldn't kick for toffee though, could he?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jarce said:

The old shirt still looks fantastic!!

Jack Austin was one of my all time favourites!

The shirt looked amazing, I was also impressed with the Amber one with the Red trim.

I loved Jack, bumped into to him years after when he was delivering parcels around Leeds, he was shocked that someone remembered him,I said anybody that saw you play would remember him.

3 hours ago, Ramboy said:

The RL Cares Facebook account is showing highlights of the 1982 game v Swinton ,footage is from RL Action programme. Some great tries inc  a Shaun Dunford wonderful effort in the top corner. Worth a watch just to bionic Jack Austin again.

Thanks for that a real bonus!!!  ... much better than tipping point!!

Funny how the pictures can focus the memories and feelings ... I remember looking through those white railings when I was young ..... and leaning on them when I was a bit older I can still feel them in my mind!

17 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

Note the"padding" on the posts. Great to watch ,Bernard Watson had them playing some good football.

He certainly did. In the conditions there was some excellent offloading etc. Enjoyed it. Thanks Ramboy for the tip.

Would love to have been at that. I started watching Dewsbury seven or eight years later and recognised Chris Squires and Paul Jennings (who looked massive when he came on as sub) in the video. Also recognised my grandad standing in the main stand, which sadly I only ever got to see once. Would love to see some more Dewsbury videos of that era.

1 hour ago, Ramboy said:

The shirt looked amazing, I was also impressed with the Amber one with the Red trim.

I loved Jack, bumped into to him years after when he was delivering parcels around Leeds, he was shocked that someone remembered him,I said anybody that saw you play would remember him.

I had a very similar meeting in the West Riding at Dewsbury Railway Station, only last year. Star Struck!! ?

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

1 hour ago, Willforminis said:

Derek Fox and Jimmy Ledgard both used to live up Malvern Road at the Bywell Road end.

Charley Sealing ( look him up about 1930 -1940 ? ) , David Wilmot and father,  Biltcliffe and Bosworth all lived roughly in the same area.  Now that's going back a bit!

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Link here. That brought back loads of memories, was at the game and recorded the game on VHS tape to keep ....and then my younger brother recorded over it! 

Thanks for posting.  Enjoyed that. The joys of winter rugby eh BSJ?   Would suit the current team...

Hate those orange shirts..

On 31/03/2020 at 18:44, Willforminis said:

In the Bennett Lane area there are loads of ex pros. John and Alan Bates  Dave Wood David Ward just off the top of my head.

The reason could have been that they lived in houses owned by the club in those days. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

4 minutes ago, Willforminis said:

No mate it's a large private housing estate, I've lived in the area for the last 40 years  and confession I am a Bulls fan (part time Rams fan) always have been. Not working , bored but staying safe.

Let's make some noise tonight at 8pm

Keith Senior was one of the first occupants of the new development built on the ground after we sold it (for a pittance). He used to go in the Fox, which was my local. Still waiting for the ground rent on my square yard of turf.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

I now have had a chance to see the game. I recall none of that match, so was delighted to see us win. I do remember those players though, including Bob Irving for Swinton, the final team for the Huddersfield born second rower, yet he never played for a Yorkshire club. 

i enjoyed Keith Macklin’s commentary and hearing the dulcet tones of David Oxley with his inter-round summaries. 

On which channel would this have been televised?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Archived