Eagles furlough their staff - has any other club done it?

3 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

What a weird take. Some of their outgoings could be well beyond £2500 a month based on their regular wage (mortgage, kids, car etc.). The pandemic is not their fault.

They can freeze a mortgage , be unusual for most people ( unless they are very , very stupid ) to not be able to survive being stuck at home with little to spend any money on in the north of England 

So yes I'm afraid " tuff titty " 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

O.K. Gav.

Apologies if it sounds harsh. As long as you feel sorry for the millions in the same boat. A genuine question here for you Gav. as you seem to be in the know about these things.

If,as Leeds intend to do, find extra monies to give to their players, does that money then not entitle them to the full amount available £2500.Or can the club pay them the extra monies that might take them up to their contract monies due.

Yes your money can be topped up to your full salary.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Gubrats, I feel the same for the R.F.L. Do they honestly think that R.L. with a total of 18 pro games with a combined total of anything between 50 and 70 thousand supporters, depending which club is at home, that the Government is going to throw tax payers money at them.

I know this pandemic has caught every organisation by surprise, but my dad ,before he passed away,always said people nowadays always think they are never going to see a poor day.Why is the R.F.L. short of money to be able to help the poorer clubs out. Could it be that they are paying out money they can not afford on salaries and some people being paid out ridiculous sums of money for leaving the R.F.L.

Thanks for that Terry, I was not to sure about that, but as I have said in a later post I realise now that the promise to try to make up extra monies is probably to make up the difference to their contracts after receiving £2500 per month towards it. Quite legal of course.

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Employers can claim 80% of employees wages, excluding bonuses (it's a bit more complicated than that but that's the general idea).

If they want to pay more, they can do.

There's also the issue of what their contracts say.  If there's no right to lay-off an employee, the employee must agree to his pay cut. However, the other option might be redundancy. So, faced with 80% or nothing, a lot of players may well choose 80%.

It could still be a big drop in income, though. No win bonus, no appearance money, 20% drop in salary - depends how your pay is made up.  People naturally tend to live up to their incomes.  Who saw all this coming ?  Even a month ago ......

Griff, it is not 80% of their salary for a lot of these players, it will likely be a third of their salary because it is capped at £2500 a month.

4 hours ago, iffleyox said:

Quite - I'm not on silly money, but can see furloughing hurtling towards me like a hurtling-towards-me-thing (I'm currently on of 2 people in the firm I work for not already on it...) and have just had a very sobering sit down with my bank statement looking at the implications. 

Bottom line, £2,500 (which is £1,995 after tax) covers my mortgage, council tax, car and utility bills, leaving me with £7 for the month. Throw in that my wife is pregnant, the only one in her team not furloughed, and about to go on maternity leave and it's all starting to look a bit festive. 

Yes, on the plus side I've got savings I can use, so I (touch wood) think it will be ok, but it's sobering.

If you earn £50k and have normal outgoings (I don't have gym memberships or any subscriptions other than RLW and £5 a month on Netflix), then going down to 80% salary is not fun. Any more than if you're on 22K and lose 80% would be. 

You set your life up for what you can afford based on what you earn. Now, footballers on £60k a week are in a different bracket (although I suppose they could have an enormous mortgage to service) but your average fringe first team Super League player?

In a similar boat as you Iffley...........I'm probably on a similar salary to many SL players so am going to receive a 3rd of my monthly salary. My wife is also due next month and actually having a bit of time at home with the newborn might be a blessing. I'm fortunate that i don't live extravagantly and have savings to tie me over for a while, but both new car finance and house upsize are very much on the backburner for the time being.

On a side note, what reassures me is that these restrictions cannot go on for more than a couple of months because not only would businesses be destroyed but Governments too - I don't think they've fully realised the financial impact and burden this is going to impact them. When they do, I think you'll see a gradual reversing of restrictions.........they just want/need to break the back of it first.

I'd have thought this would take place in time for the season to restart in June........interested to know if others feel the same

Maybe this is a bit off topic but in my opinion ALL mortgages and Council Tax should be suspended whilst this crisis is ongoing.

Now I don’t fully understand the ins and outs of furlough but I have heard the sum of £2500 per month maximum and 80% of one’s wages being available.

Now I would think that for many Super League players they will get the maximum of £2500 which whilst it is no doubt a huge drop for them they should be able to live off it if their mortgage and Council Tax are suspended.

Now I am surprised that other clubs haven’t publicly announced they are putting their players on furlough,

9 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Double d,

It is a good job you are not self employed then. You would not be getting a penny.Over £50000 you can not claim. So really you are not so badly off are you. 

I don't consider myself to be bad off, which is why when this suggestion was put forward at work, I volunteered for it. Because I believe it's important to share the pain so to speak, and the company has been good to me.

But this is very much why i think these restrictions will get rolled back from June because it's going to bankrupt companies/governments if it continues

21 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Maybe this is a bit off topic but in my opinion ALL mortgages and Council Tax should be suspended whilst this crisis is ongoing.

Now I don’t fully understand the ins and outs of furlough but I have heard the sum of £2500 per month maximum and 80% of one’s wages being available.

Now I would think that for many Super League players they will get the maximum of £2500 which whilst it is no doubt a huge drop for them they should be able to live off it if their mortgage and Council Tax are suspended.

Now I am surprised that other clubs haven’t publicly announced they are putting their players on furlough,

But the government is already paying for them to not be in work, so then giving them a holiday on council tax as well is a bit much - I mean the government is going to have print money to stay afloat and even then the debt burden is going to be crippling. The mortgage part though, I agree on, as it can just be extended for a couple of months

I agree, i don't know why all clubs haven't put players on furlough

50 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Griff, it is not 80% of their salary for a lot of these players, it will likely be a third of their salary because it is capped at £2500 a month.

In a similar boat as you Iffley...........I'm probably on a similar salary to many SL players so am going to receive a 3rd of my monthly salary. My wife is also due next month and actually having a bit of time at home with the newborn might be a blessing. I'm fortunate that i don't live extravagantly and have savings to tie me over for a while, but both new car finance and house upsize are very much on the backburner for the time being.

On a side note, what reassures me is that these restrictions cannot go on for more than a couple of months because not only would businesses be destroyed but Governments too - I don't think they've fully realised the financial impact and burden this is going to impact them. When they do, I think you'll see a gradual reversing of restrictions.........they just want/need to break the back of it first.

I'd have thought this would take place in time for the season to restart in June........interested to know if others feel the same

Yes , you would have to be incredibly stupid to attempt to buy a bigger house or spend money on a better car right now , so why use that as an issue ?

30 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Correct Rob , realistically speaking if you can't live on 600 quid a week ( considering you cannot go through the door ) then you have other issues that need addressing 

Gubrats,

Unfortunately in this want everything, throw away society, some people could not live on £6000 a week.You will still here people complaining because they can not get their new £800 phone or their weekly tattoo.

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Correct Rob , realistically speaking if you can't live on 600 quid a week ( considering you cannot go through the door ) then you have other issues that need addressing 

I'm pretty sure that £600 a week is taxable, and then have pension contributions taken off too.

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'm pretty sure that £600 a week is taxable, and then have pension contributions taken off too.

If their pension contributions are that big , they've been earning enough to live off a credit card for a month or two if they have to , so what do people want ?

This is about surviving , nothing else 

24 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If their pension contributions are that big , they've been earning enough to live off a credit card for a month or two if they have to , so what do people want ?

This is about surviving , nothing else 

So it's not £600 a week then is it?

1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Gubrats,

Unfortunately in this want everything, throw away society, some people could not live on £6000 a week.You will still here people complaining because they can not get their new £800 phone or their weekly tattoo.

Absolutely.

And maybe I am being simplistic,idealist etc but why would anyone even if they were on £6K a week need the big mansion in say Cheshire with 4 bathrooms,several bedrooms etc etc?

Maybe this will make people realise how not needed these material things are in the grand context of things not needed?

And let’s say a Super League player is on £6K a week and say he has 2 kids,one of each then really a nice 3 bed semi in a decent area is really all they need,maybe with perhaps an extension for future at most.

Scotchy,

Do you honestly think that "these lads miles away from home" will only get a maximum of £2500 per month. Which world do you live in.The richer clubs will make up the shortfall to their contracts. Of course they are going to furlough them. The clubs with 30 contracted players will save themselves £75000 a month.A big lump over 6 months if that is how long this lasts.I do not blame them by the way, perfectly legal.

13 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Scotchy,

Do you honestly think that "these lads miles away from home" will only get a maximum of £2500 per month. Which world do you live in.The richer clubs will make up the shortfall to their contracts. Of course they are going to furlough them. The clubs with 30 contracted players will save themselves £75000 a month.A big lump over 6 months if that is how long this lasts.I do not blame them by the way, perfectly legal.

Waisting your time , he thinks it's funny that RL fans will die of this virus , completely lost the plot , that's if he ever found it 

On 01/04/2020 at 10:34, GUBRATS said:

But we have had idiots on here suggesting ' players ' are somehow excempt from having to take a financial hit from this , suggesting they are ' special ' ? 

No they are not , bottom line is there are people ' fans ' who will have bought ST s to watch these players who potentially won't survive to see their team ever play again , so when I see " yes but they are contracted on that wage , how will they survive on less , how will they pay their mortgage " it makes me sick 

I'll edit this post due to the reaction in the bottom right hand corner from another poster , it seems he thinks it is funny that RL fans will die from Coronavirus 

He will now join my ignore list 

I posted this on page 1 and received a laughing emojie ( to the pre edited post ) from a certain poster , I've quoted it just so that when he removes it , everybody is still aware of what he thinks of RL fans dying of Coronavirus 

Gotcha Gubrats,

Well I was correct in one passage of my post. "Which world does he live in". It seems to me quite obviously that he is trying to wind people up. I will join you in ignoring him in future,this virus is no laughing matter,whoever thinks it is just plain stupid. He seems more concerned about R.L. players losing their money than anything else.

Can somebody please tell Scotchy to learn to read properly, I have already said time and time again that apart from the rich clubs I have sympathy with the players who are actually losing money. But I doubt very much that many players in the Championship and none in League 1 who are on £30000 a year. That is of course if this lasts for a year, which I doubt it will .I also not many are on £2500 a month. in League 1.I can not be bothered answering him. He seems to me to just be a stirrer.

Archived